Monday, 12 May 2008

5K Race Report and Inaugural Italian Phrase-of-the-Day post

Hey campers!

This past Saturday I ran in my first 5K race, the Oxford Fun Run, with my friend, Theresa. You’d have thought we were at Disneyland since the whole thing was a rather Mickey Mouse operation. The event was advertised as a 5K race with, I quote, 'highly professional start and finish procedures; timing and results service, are all provided by S.E.A. (Student Event Activities)'. Yeah. Not so much. First off, no race numbers. All we got to distinguish ourselves from the regular weekend park-goers were these wristbands with the race logo on them. I don’t know about you, but nothing says ‘official race participant’ more to me then a bad 80s fashion accessory. Lordy. We were also sweetly informed that the course was as close to 5K as humanly possible. By my calculations, since I have a scaled map of the park, the course was 4.9K (3.06 miles) long. Eh. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one. It was close.

The timing, however, was a joke. Professional, my ass! Right before the race starts, they let us know that only the first 100 people to cross the finish line would have their times recorded. Dude, there were only a total of 200 participants (runners AND walkers) in the whole event. Is it that much of a stretch to provide times for all of us? Luckily, I was #84, so I personally don’t have anything to bitch about, by my friend Theresa was gypped because she was #101. That’s just plain lazy on their part.

Also, what exactly is this Student Event Activities organization? The only student activities I know of are 1) consumption of large amounts of alcohol, and 2) loss of mental faculties as the result of activity #1. I can’t imagine the ‘official’ time will be any more accurate than the time I clocked on my wristwatch.

Speaking of which, my unofficial time for the 5K 4.9K was 30:37. That turns out to be a 10 minute pace, my fastest yet! I’m quite pleased with myself about this, though I do have to admit that running the race on my flat ‘home’ turf was probably a bit of an advantage. But just a wee one. Yeah, sure.

This week, I’m gearing up for my first ever 10K race on Sunday, 18 May. My emotions are swinging from quiet confidence to ‘I hope I don’t pass out on the High Street’. Pretty much, I’m keeping my goals low—1) try to run the whole race, and 2) try to run at a 12 minute pace or better. Even though the weather has been fantastic here this weekend, it was way too hot and muggy during the 5K. I tend to run in the mornings when it’s cooler, so it was definitely an adjustment. Here’s hoping there’s a good breeze and no rain for this coming Sunday.

Italian Phrase(s) of the Day
Thanks to all of you who left phrases for me to translate in the last post. I would particularly like to single out Ellen for going above and WAY BEYOND the call of duty. (Seriously, dude, if your bosses at the Evil Empire realize how you spend most of your time at work, your ass is so grass!) Procrastinating with my dissertation Inspired by all the submissions, I decided to translate a number of them for this first post. And (*drum roll*) here they are:

Margarita, per favore. Con ghiaccio e molto sale.
Margarita, please. With ice, lots of salt.’ –McB

Perché sono miei piedi in questo secchio del calcestruzzo?
Why are my feet in this bucket of concrete?’ -Vanilla

Grazie per tenente miei capelli.
Thanks for holding my hair.’ –Chia

And #100 and #99 from the AFI top 100 movie quotes list (courtesy of Ellen):

Sono il re del mondo!
I’m king of the world!’ (Titanic, 1997)

Ti prenderò, mia bella, e tuo piccolo cane anche!
I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!’ (The Wizard of Oz, 1939)

If you have anymore phrases you’d like to see translated into Italian, please leave them in the comments.

Buona giornata! (Have a good day!)

6 comments:

Theresa said...

Awww, don't we look cute with our matching arm bands.

me said...

Great job! And Wonder Woman arm bands, too!

Ok, how about a reverse Italian translation? You said in the last post you wanted swear words...Just trying to be helpful. You never know when they might come in handy. :-)

Baci ma culo.
Io no sono putana.
Vaffanculo!

Nitmos said...

Obviously their lined paper only had 100 liones. they simply could not be expected to record more starts than the number of lines on their lined paper. I'm sure you can understand.

Nice PR!

Ted said...

This is the funniest post! I love it. You sure cracked me up. I am impressed with your Italian. Magnificento!

Ellen said...

Hey! I do "work" when I'm at work. Really, I do. I have to keep up with Obama and McCain and uh, you know the important stuff.

Marcy said...

CONGRATS on your very first 5k ;D ;D Awesome job!

I'm ALL about keeping the goals low. This way, anything more is like gravy and most of the time I'm not disappointed hehe.