Monday, 23 June 2008

Gluttony

It’s the start of week 3 of my half marathon training program. All is going well (*knock on wood*) so far with running five days a week. Before I used to run 3 or 4 days, so I’m happy that my body is taking this increase in stride. (heh. I made a pun.)

Along with the running, I’ve been keeping up with cross training and even got back on the strength training bandwagon. I’m a frickin’ workout machine now! It’s a complete 180 from my life just one short year ago and I couldn’t be happier about. Well, except for one thing.

I’m currently eating myself out of house and home.

I’m hungry ALL THE TIME! If I didn’t know better, I would think I was pregnant. (Trust me, I know better.) I just can’t seem to stop being hungry. I try my hardest to make sure that the food I do shovel into my gob is healthy. I keep lots of fresh veggies and fruits around, but of course the occasional sweet makes its way into my pie hole. (Damn you Sainsbury’s decadent chocolate chip cookies. You are the creation of the devil.)

I admit I don’t plan well for all contingencies though. A couple of nights this past week when I was coming home from the gym after 8 pm and I still hadn’t eaten dinner, I swung by the kebab van. The not-so-bad choice: I got a chicken kebab loaded with salad but sans sauce (luckily I’m not a fan of most condiments). The not-so-good choice: greasy chips (fries to you Americans).

I narrowly escaped eating my weight in takeaway pizza last night by promising myself some pudding after my healthy dinner of soup and sandwich. And I am referring to good ole Jello Pudding that one of my friends brought over from the states when she came for a visit, not the lead-brick fruit cake that is the basis of most English puddings which have oh-so-appetizing names like Spotted Dick.

Anyway, this whole food-crazed situation has got me thinking about marathon training. I don’t even want to think about how much worse the hunger pains must be for you crazy marathoning bastards, however, I would like to know how you cope with it. Do you just pig out and hope for the best or do you try to regiment what you put into your gullet? Any and all comments welcome.

Italian Phrases of the Day:
#67 and 66 from the AFI movie quotes list:

Del tutti gin bar nella tutte città nel tutto il mondo, cammina nel mio bar.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.’ (Casablanca, 1942)

Prendi gli tui zampini dal mi, tu dannata sporca scimmia.
Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.’ (Planet of the Apes, 1968)

Ci vediamo dopo.

13 comments:

Ted said...

Don't forget the hershey bars, Twix bars, Baby Ruth Bars and Nestle Crunch ones. Just kidding! Like you, I devour just about anything I see. Actually, the best thing I have learned is that I eat plenty of healthy snacks in between the meals. Pssst: I am a fan of Pretzels. Always have a bowl of Pretzels on the counter for me to nibble on from time to time.

Marcy said...

I always eat whatever is in front of me. Which always happens to be donuts or candy or some nonsense :-X

I'm sure I'll probably gain about 20 lbs after this whole marathon dealy, especially with the way I eat. Oy. Not looking forward to this . . . LOL

Viv said...

You are a machine with all that running,. XT, and ST. The hunger will diminish soon. I always get like that when I start kicking it up a few notches. I give in to the eat what I want then jump on the scale and after a couple weeks it slaps me into I need to quit eating all that. Still a work in progress for me.

LOL, I think I would pass on the Spotted Dick. I would constantly be giggling before I ate some things over there.

Anonymous said...

I always am hungary when I am training too. I increase my portion sizes, which ends up being my downfall. It's not bad when you are training, but I have trouble cutting back again when I start running less.

chia said...

LOL - You think thats bad... imagine quitting smoking whilst starting training a half. Now that was brutal. Noone wanted to be my friend last December.

I miss lard vans, kebab stops, and schwartz burgers (yes, even the militant vegan admits to succumbing to the power of the schwartz).

Great now you're making me hungry :-).


Whenever I have the hunger I rely on green tea or mate tea to steer me away from the snacks. Right now I'm trying to consume 100 calories per hour so I can constantly eat and not get the binge crazy feelings. After a run I'll have a meal that is proportional to the duration of my run. Like after a 30 minute run I'll have a 300 calorie meal. It's hard to get into the groove but it seems to be working - 2 lbs down baby!

Happy Monday!

Nitmos said...

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Keep the fruits and veggies on tap. But don't be surprised if it takes several montsh of discipline to keep the hunger pains away. The transition from junk food cravings to healthy food cravings is like heroin detox...or so I imagine.

The Laminator said...

I agree with the general concensus. I'm always hungry when I'm at the peak of marathon training (as I am now...hmmm, need to find myself a snack) I try to keep healthy bite-site fruits and veggies around so at least I am munching on healthy foods when I have the cravings to munch. If you want to take the time to calculate exactly how many extra calories you're burning because of training, you'd be surprised how much energy you're actually burning off...it's almost double my daily allowance! So I do allow myself the liberty to pig out once in a while when I'm training hard and not feel guilty about it.

RazZDoodle said...

I'm still learning. Starbucks is now out of my diet. I've found that the 'bucks is a helluva appetite stimulus.

Wish me luck

Viper said...

Yes, last year, my first at training for half and full marathons, I was the same way. It's tough not just caving to cravings. This year, I had a specific plan to drop a few pounds, which helped keep me in check. I started drinking A LOT of water to help curb my appetite. Sounds like you're doing a great job on your training! Keep it up!

Laura said...

If you don't mind cooking, it's not that hard to make healthy versions of the foods you're craving? My cooking philosophy is to figure out the purpose of each unhealthy ingredient (i.e. the mayo in potato salad just makes it creamy), and then substitute something healthier that can do that job (i.e. plain fat free yogurt).

Meg said...

I was the same way half training, especially on the day of long runs, and I'm seeing it again now that I'm building back up. The day of long runs I have this odd insatiable hunger all day long. I swear I consume more than I could have burned. But I did lose weight (or just toned up?) training for the half, so I think your metabolism might be ramped. I agree with Viper too, make sure you're chugging water and that should help a little bit!

P.O.M. said...

When I trained for my first marathon, I was STARVING all the time. I finally went to a nutritionist at the very end (wish I went earlier). Basically, I just needed to start out eating an earlier breakfast - and just eat several small meals a day to keep satisfied. I gained 14 lbs though. I finally got that off and now I'm going to train again. GER. Hopefully I can keep the appetite in check.

Lily on the Road said...

Several small meals per day, not just three squares help, but each one should have some protien. A few Almonds, dates, apricots help too.

If you can figure out the number of calories you're burning per long run, then that's all eat to replace them, not filling your cakehole, LOL....

Let me know how you're doing! You'll settle into a routine soon enough!