Wednesday, 11 June 2008

It's the end of the term as we know it...

I bought new running shoes today and they only cost me a kidney. I tried on about six different pairs in the store and the guys were very patient with me as I took my time in deciding. I came away with a pair of ASICS GT-2130s and a free pair of socks. The Asics are very comfortable and have more cushioning than my New Balance 680s. I took them out for a 3 mile run this afternoon and they felt great. The shoes only have one little problem with them--the accent color is pink. It’s not that I never wear pink. I do. I have a pink dress shirt that I get complimented on every time I wear it. But pink is not a color I want on my running shoes. It’s not like I need to ‘feminize’ my running shoes to let people know I’m a girl. That’s what my breasts are for. With any luck the shoes will be covered in dirt by the weekend. At least enough so I’ll no longer sneer at them.

Celebration
It’s the last week of term. Last Thursday was my final day of teaching (thank you, jebus!) so now I can focus most of my time once again on my dissertation. That is when I’m not going to a party. The end of term requires that every separate entity in this university (departments, colleges, clubs and organizations) has its own celebration. I’ve been to two parties already and have at least three more to go. That’s not including all the birthday parties either. It seems most of my friends are June babies. I guess Labor Day is a very productive day...so to speak.

Anyway, all this celebrating is temptation overload. So much food and drink and it’s all free. The party on Friday is being held at an Indian restaurant and everything is being paid for by the college. It’ll be a miracle if I don’t gain 10 pounds in the next week.

Ci vediamo dopo. (See you later)

Italian Phrases of the Day
#77 and 76 from the AFI movie quotes list:

Soylent Verde รจ gente.
Soylent Green is people!’ (Soylent Green, 1973)

Ci vediamo dopo, bambino.
Hasta la vista, baby.’ (Terminator 2: Judgment Day, 1991)

10 comments:

Viper said...

Congrats on the end of the school term and your new pink shoes. I always look down at the shoes to determine if a runner is male or female. Well, always I look down at least.

And while you're celebrating people's birthdays, hoist one for me this Flag Day.

Cheers!

Marcy said...

CONGRATS on scoring some new kicks and being done with teaching :-)

It's totally cool to overindulge from time to time. At least that's what I tell myself LOL Have fun chica!

Nitmos said...

Asics have been good to me. The 2130's and I had a recent falling out but I'm open to conciliation.

Happy disserting (is that proper usage?)

Meg said...

Congrats! It's always nice to be able to focus on your own work. All those parties sound like fun!

Merry said...

It’s not like I need to ‘feminize’ my running shoes to let people know I’m a girl. That’s what my breasts are for

*chortle*

When I bought my running shoes, I thought they were total 'ugly betty's. Now, they don't look as bad. Methinks if they take all the pounding and don't fall apart, they start to look better.

Do please try not to party too hard.
Unless you really feel like it :)

Lily on the Road said...

Oh Party ON! You only live once.

My first saucony's were pink, after a few trips out they weren't as bright and shiny....but they worked (and hard).

Congrat's

I will get that schedule to you this weekend, for some reason this past week has been crazy!!!

Ci vediamo dopo

Ted said...

How much is your kidney worth? Just kidding. Sweet looking shoes!!! Congrats for getting it done with school. Now, you can party on!!!

chia said...

Did they cash in your kidney in USD or BSP? Or is it BPS? I can't remember anymore, Pound Sterling, Sterling pound.. meh it's all too pricey for me.

Viv said...

The kicks look great..hehe I have the same ones :-)

Enjoy the celebration you deserve it!

Laura said...

I just bought new shoes, and tried out the 2130s (I had the 2110s before and loved them), but they just didn't work for me. However, they were aqua.

Instead, I went with the Brooks Adrenalines - which were pink. I swear I did NOT pick by looks (actually, even though pink is my favorite color, I thought the 2130s looked flashier and better)!