Monday, 9 June 2008

Race Report: Race for Life 5K

Saturday was sunny (miracle!) and warm (I won’t complain about the heat since most of you in North America are getting roasted) and basically just a really good day for a race. The Duchesses of Hazard congregated at my place since I live just two seconds away from where we were running. We got hydrated, pinned signs onto each others backs and then set off for the park.

The race itself was run almost entirely within the park which made for a wee bit of a problem—limited space. There were 2,500 women running and the park paths are not that wide. It took us almost three minutes to cross the start line and even then we spent the first minute of the race just walking. Most slow people did not abide by the request to keep to the right side of the path, so we had to do a lot of weaving in and out throughout the whole 5K.

This was the first time I have run without my trusty little iPod, as a courtesy to my team mates. I should have just said to hell with them. As we crossed the start line, the song ‘Holding Out For a Hero’ was blaring out over the speakers. It’s not a bad song...until it loops continuously in your head for 30 minutes. Not doing that again if I can help it.

The Duchesses ended up separating evenly into two groups during the race. I was running alongside the two who had more running experience until we were separated for about a mile but then they caught up to me again. We tried to chat, but ended up spending most of our time dodging around people. Sometimes I was forced to run between people, so I would place my hands together in front of me so as to avoid hitting them, but it made me look like I was praying. I looked odd, but at least I didn’t accidentally knock anyone out cold.

I was the first of the Duchesses to cross the finish (yeah!) at 31:20 according to my watch. Not bad, considering the conditions. It was also a charity run so I was not shooting for a PR or anything, just a good run. Two Duchesses came in just seconds after me and the other three about four minutes later. We were all pretty chuffed with ourselves. We found a spot of grass to stretch out on and chat about the race. Everyone was excited by the day and proud of what they had achieved, personally and for the cause. At least three of them mentioned wanting to keep on with running and asked me about upcoming races in the area. Seems the running bug is catching on.

There was only one thing that marred the perfection of the day. My shoes. It appears they need to retire and soon. My left shoe rubbed against my heel in an uncomfortable way and during today’s run, it gave me a good sized blister. I had hoped they would last until August, but now I can see that that was just a pipe dream. I’ll be heading out to the local running store within the next day or two and getting another pair. Thankfully, I have a Xenia-Needs-To-Stop-Being-A-Miserly-Wench fund, so all is good on the finance front. Just cross your fingers that the fellowship I interviewed for today comes through, or else I’ll have to start working the street corner to pay for my research trip to Rome in the fall. And I’ve already told you how cheap the Brits are, so you know I’ll have to put in a lot of overtime.

Italian Phrases of the Day
#79 and 78 from the AFI movie quotes list:

Striker: Certamente non sei serio.
Rumack: Io sono serio ... e non mi chiami Shirley.*

Striker: ‘Surely you can't be serious.’
Rumack: ‘I am serious ... and don't call me Shirley.’ (Airplane!, 1980)
*Note: Some things just don’t translate well.

Apri le grandi porte, HAL.*
‘Open the pod bay doors, HAL.’ (2001: A Space Odyssey, 1968)
*Note: I’ve got not idea how to translate ‘pod bay’. I don’t read Italian sci-fi. Instead I went with ‘open the big doors’. It’s adequate, I think.

Merry—I’ve been busy lately, so I haven’t gotten around to translating the runner’s pick-up lines yet. I’ll do it later this week.

Ci vediamo dopo. (See you later)

14 comments:

chia said...

Good luck finding quality shoes at an affordable price, I had a hell of a time finding new shoes over there that cost less than signing off my first born son. Not that I have one of those or anything, but you get the picture ;).

Great job at the race!!

Marcy said...

Turning tricks can be very profitable if you're good at what you do. Not that I would know or anything . . .



I AM TOTALLY KIDDING! :P

Sounds like a great race!

Nitmos said...

Maybe you can go to the shoe store with an innocent, pathetic look on your face, hold out your shoes, and say:

"Please, sir, can I have some more?"

Isn't that how they do things over there?

Nitmos said...

And congratulations on your race!

Laurel said...

Yikes, shoes are costly anywhere these days...

I'm suggesting checking out Hal Higdon or First if you can, I'll get my version to you this week plus I have a race pace band made up for you...the cart ahead of the horse a little but we are getting there!!

Good job on the race BTW...

P.O.M. said...

The running bug is definately biting us all! Nice job :)

Xenia said...

Laurel--No worries! I'm following Hal this week. Thanks SO MUCH for everything you're doing for me!

The Laminator said...

Nice job with the race, Xenia! It's nice to know that the running bug grew wings and has gone international.

Hope you find some cool running digs. Post a picture when you do so we can all be jealous!

Viv said...

Great race especially with the crowded and bobbing and weaving bit.

I hope you find a fantastic pair of shoes and may they suprisingly be on sale.

Sending good luck wishes for your intership.

Merry said...

Congratulations! You have really made a tremendous amount of progress re: running & stamina and all that. I hope your foot feels better soon.

Isn't it amazing how 'slow traffic keep right' always applies to someone else?

Viper said...

sounds like the forearm shiver would have been helpful in this setting. great job on a great race for a good cause.

Meg said...

Congrats on an awesome race and your fund raising! Good luck with the fellowship!

Ellen said...

do you need more stickers? I think I need to ship you special stickers that you can only use upon completion of a marathon or mini-marathon.

RazZDoodle said...

congrats on the race! Holding Out for a Hero? Hmmm....another entry for Friday, perhaps?