Thursday, 24 July 2008

Another one bites the dust

Here I go, flying off the cliff like the good little lemming I am.

I’ve decided to do the 100 Push ups Challenge. The self-torture will begin Monday. And because I don’t think push-ups will be painful enough, I’ve started looking around for a sit up challenge too. I pretty much lack any kind of strength in my abdominal muscles, so I’m hoping to turn that situation around. Also, getting into this stuff now will set me up well for when I am away for fall term and am without access to a gym.

The first listing on my Google search for ‘sit up challenge’ was this.

Not exactly what I was looking for, but it brought to mind a conversation a couple of my housemates and I had a few weeks ago about Japanese game shows.

One of them sent us a link to this clip. [Editor's note: Mute your computer, there's a lot of screaming in this one.]


Why you’d want to do that to yourself, I have no idea. Hopefully it was for a lot of money.

The only show I was familiar with was Takeshi’s Castle, which has been redubbed and edited into Most Extreme Elimination Challenge (MXC). This show is HILARIOUS! My roommates in MA and I would watch this all the time. If you haven't seen it before, check out one of the numerous clips on YouTube, like this one which is a collection of some funny eliminations.

I don’t know what it is about people voluntarily offering themselves up to the gods of pain that I find so entertaining. I guess I’m just evil like that.

Anyway, it appears they are making a Takeshi's Castle-like game show in America now. Check out this link to see the promo video. Have any of you seen it? I’m curious to know if it’s as funny as the Japanese version. Probably not, considering the US is the land of lawsuits, but you never know.

Ci vediamo domani. (See you tomorrow)

[Editors's note: Nitmos, I know you will be unable to see these at your workplace. FYI, the first video involves a bulldog and chimp 'helping' each other do sit ups and the second shows a bunch of women with meat strapped to their foreheads who then stick their heads through holes in a tabletop while a huge lizard is set loose upon them.]

12 comments:

MizFit said...

hmmmm.
I welcome you to the pushing upward and DEFER to you the sitting upward ;)

Miz.

Viper said...

I watched this documentary of a women who designs corals for slaughterhouses so that cows can more humanely walk to their deaths. That's the first thing I thought of for some reason.

Viper said...

... of course some people might say she designs "corrals" ...

Nitmos said...

Thanks for the consideration as I see to big white empty spots in the middle of this post and was assuming it was just a really funny video...but didn't know for sure.

I could view this from home but what would be the point? I'm not "working" then.

Marcy said...

Yeeeesss, welcome to the torture fest! You know it's funny that you bring up a sit up challenge because just this AM I was thinking "Man, if they only had one for sit ups maybe I'd do them"

Running Knitter said...

I knew you'd eventually get in on the push up challenge! :)

Vanilla said...

Those Japanese game shows are like a trainwreck. You can't stop watching them.

Laura said...

I think I'm the last one to agree to do the pushups challenge. Which I think basically means I'm the laziest one. Do I get some kind of prize for that?

I couldn't watch the videos with sound, but the first one was awesome. The second one I just didn't understand. What was the original point before the lizard started freaking out? To see who was the least scared and hold their head there the longest while the lizard ate the meat?

Steve Stenzel said...

I just started the 100 push-up challenge last week! Good luck!!

Theresa said...

Welcome to the push-up challenge club!! I just finished week 2 and looked at week three and thought, WTF? They expect me to go from 6 to 15?!? We shall see.

Really enjoyed story time by the way!!

Viv said...

No way you are doing the push up challenge. I will not give in to the peer pressure. I won't. I will be the lone dork at lunch sitting by myself while the cool kids with guns laugh at my flabby self.

Non-Runner Nancy said...

I haven't lemming'ed yet.