Friday, 11 July 2008

Friday I'm in love

Thank freakin’ god it’s Friday! I know I only have a one-day weekend to look forward to, but I really need that day right now.

The length of this weekend’s long run is up in the air. Because of my 10K race last weekend, I didn’t get in the suggested 8.5 mile run. This week’s LSD is supposed to be 10 miles. Do I act prudently and just run the 8.5 or try my luck at the full ten? I guess I’ll see how my legs are feeling tomorrow morning.

Speaking of the 10K, during the race I saw two guys in military fatigues and boots running the race with gigantic military packs strapped to their backs. All I could think was holy hell. The last time I had to carry a pack that size, I was backpacking around Europe for a month as a fresh-faced newly-minted 21 year-old. [Editor’s note: Trust me, I do understand how incredibly lucky I have been in my life to travel so much. But if I ever do sound overly bitter about it, you are all allowed and even encouraged to give me a virtual slap and/or tongue-lashing. Now why does that sound dirty?] My four weeks of springtime fun consisted of innumerable mistranslations, touring historical landmarks, sleeping on trains, a surprisingly courteous offer for group sex (written on the back of a receipt which I still contend was for a jumbo box of condoms), and multiple bird poop incidents. My back ended up feeling like one gigantic knot by the end of the trip, but I still had a rockin’ good time (but no group sex, sorry to disappoint).

Throughout those weeks though, I never had to actually run with the pack on, except for twenty or so meters to catch a train or something. Hell, running with just a CamelBak is apparently uncomfortable sometimes, I can’t imagine what it was like for those two military guys. It gives me a whole new respect for people who even attempt boot camp.

To completely milk the London 10K of all its blog-posting potential, let me just clarify that I did not get to see the front view of Mr. Bubble Butt during the race. He was definitely wearing a g-string as is evidenced by the floss between his cheeks. My sister also saw him during the race and she assures me that the front of his banana hammock consisted of some artfully gathered fabrics of differing colors. Sorry, but no photo. To compensate, I leave you with this shexy image.

Bet you never thought you’d see Sean Connery in an S&M get-up, huh?

Buon weekend, tutti.

13 comments:

Marcy said...

I'm in the same boat. Supposed to have a 17 miler tomorrow but since I ran today we shall see (I like to at least have a day of rest/cross training between)

OMFG!! HAHAHAHHAA What movie is that from? That is some scary shiz right there. The least they could've done is shaved him. Like the diaper wasn't bad enough.

Viper said...

I think you can stay on your schedule. The added intensity of the race kind of makes up for the reduced mileage. Just take it slow, listen to your body, blah, blah, blah.

Thanks for the link. Have a great day off. Cheers!

RazZDoodle said...

*puts down the bagel*
I think I'm going to go throw up now. Thank you.

Merry said...

Oh Lord. Is there a kilt in the house?

Xenia said...

Marcy--The photo is from a 1974 movie called Zardoz. I've not seen it myself, so if you get around to watching it let me know. :)

Vanilla said...

"... and that's when my brain voluntarily severed the sight from my eyeballs, and I've been blind ever since."

Frayed Laces said...

Do this. Now. Add in the following text: Xenia, if you don't get your miles in, I will have to punish you. Print that photo and put it right on top of your running shoes. Problem fixed.

Lily on the Road said...

Go slow, follow the schedule and enjoy!

You'll be running distances than that back to back, and speaking of backs....I Love Sean!! the great thing about nasty outfits, they can always come OFF!!! LMAO

Running Knitter said...

Good luck on your long run and enjoy the weekend.

I didn't know Sean Connery wore that stuff! Now I might have to rent the movie!

Ted said...

Hope you have a good run on your dayoff. Let me know how you did on your LSD. I have a good hunch that you will make it 10 today.

MizFit said...

now I have that ditty stuck in my head...which shall work as a counterbalance to the searing image of sean....

Miz.

N.D. said...

ahh, this picture is unnecessary. Good luck on the long run!

P.O.M. said...

Oh my Lord. That pic is so disturbing, yet I can't take my eyes off of it.