Monday, 28 July 2008

The long and the short of it

The last few days have been pretty warm here. Well, by English standards at least. We’ve been getting into the low 80s F (oh no!) but humidity has also finally descended upon the island making it rather uncomfortable in the Land Without Aircon. Now I grew up in New England, so I’ve had to endure some craptasticly hot and humid summers in my time, which just makes my current weakness to English weather that much more pathetic. My half marathon in NH at the end of next month is beginning to worry me as a humidity-induced DNF becomes an actual possibility. Crickey.

Because of England’s rather mild weather, I haven’t actually had the chance to wear running shorts. I’ve just been running around in yoga pants. Actually I don’t even own running shorts. To remedy the situation I created some by chopping off the lower legs of a pair of bargain tech pants I bought at a sports store’s going out of business sale. I didn’t realize til I brought them home that they were pretty much bell-bottomed trousers. Um, no, not the kind of fashion statement I want to make. So to the back of the drawer they were thrown, until my cheapness ingenuity made them into a more fashionable and comfortable running garment. They're like Jennifer Beal’s stylishly chopped-up sweatshirt in Flashdance, only these are couture for the lower half of the body.

I’m waiting til I get to the states (less than a month left, baby!) to purchase more running gear, including some shorts. Ladies, do you have any recommendations for shorts that won’t ride up? I don’t want to spend the majority of my runs pulling at my crotch. Sends the wrong message, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I got in my two runs this weekend, 3.5 miles on Saturday and 7.7 on Sunday. Because I was curious, I weighed myself before and after my Sunday LSD. I lost 3.5 pounds in the space of an hour and a half. Damn! Too bad that was just water weight, soon regained with a pub lunch later than afternoon and a get-together at a friend’s that night. Meh, things could be worse.

Besides rocking my ‘new’ shorts, I also took the opportunity to try out a sports drink during my LSD. I grabbed a Lucozade from the store on Friday, but didn’t realize til Sunday morning that the blasted thing was carbonated. Poop. Oh well, I tried it anyway. To put it mildly, I wasn’t enamored of it. Not only did I end up with a tummy full of bubbles (Do Not Want!), but it also didn’t taste very good. Previously I had tried the Lucozade powder and found that to be lacking as well. I’m giving them one more non-carbonated chance before I give up entirely. I’d much rather drink some Gatorade, but besides being provided some at the end of the London 10K, I can’t find any around here. It’s all just Lucozade or Powerade. Blech. I long for the diluted Tang-like taste of Gatorade, but I guess I’m SOL for another few weeks. Oh well, I’ll survive.

Another thing I can’t get my greedy little hands on in this country—Bodyglide. The boob chafage continues and it’s neither fun nor pretty. I checked Boots, a chemist, two sports stores and the new running shop and no one has any. Smartass that I am, I asked the clerk at the running shop if Brits just don’t chafe. She laughed and recommended Vaseline. So, I went to Boots to get some Vaseline. Do they have normal Vaseline? No, of course not. I had to get Vaseline Body Butter. WTF? I feel like I’m preparing myself to be the main course at a cannibal’s banquet. It’s quite unsettling.

Well, I hope the rest of you had a fabulous weekend. Here’s to another Monday morning. (groan)

Ciao, tutti.

16 comments:

Marcy said...

What in the hell is up with the Brits? First the no free t-shirts and now no Body Glide, Vaseline, OR Gatorade. We're going to have to send you out a care package pretty every couple months LOL. Good God!

As far as shorts go . . . . I either do spandex or whatever Nike has. I think they are called the race day shorts and Acceleration ones. Both are fine for me. I've heard things about the Tempo ones too.

JS said...

Hi!

Fellow expat living in London. I saw Body Glide at a running store here, Apex (great store, btw), right by the Paddington station along the canal.

If you can't get here, I can pick up some for you and send it - chafing is not fun, and neither is this humidity. Leave a note in teh comments amnd I will email you privately.

Julia

Xenia said...

Hey Julia!
Thanks so much! I will actually be in London later this week and arriving and leaving from Paddington (how convenient!) so I'll make sure to check out Apex.
You are a lifesaver. Or should I say boob saver... :)

RazZDoodle said...

She puts the body butter in the basket.

*had to go for the creep factor*

Kevin said...

Definitely not great ot be pulling at the crotch all through the race.

Merry said...

Thanks to RazZD, now I'm wondering exactly what the ingredients are in Body butter.

tfh said...

Hmm, maybe I should take the old scissors to a few of those hideous not-a-bargain-if-you-never-wear-them clearance finds and see if we can't call it a trend...

Running Knitter said...

I wear Under Armour training shorts. The inseams range from 4 to 7 inches. I love them. If you are going to be around the outlets in MA or NH, I'm pretty sure there's an Under Armour outlet there so you maybe could score some good deals.

Lily on the Road said...

I think Marcy and I need to send you a "Care Package", gah, you'd think that Boots would carry it, I loved shopping at Boots!!

Wait till you come home for some nice shorts and tops! Saucony is my product of choice...

Ya, the crotch grab is not an attrative sight! LMAO!!

As for the race, don't worry about it 'till race day...you'll be fine..

Viper said...

Humidity is tough, but don't let it scare the DNF into you. Besides, if it stays humid, you should be used to it by race day.

Not that I can vouch for the women's line, but speaking as a fellow cheapskate the Champion C9 stuff at Target is cheap and good quality.

Crabby McSlacker said...

If you find a good brand of running shorts, let me know! I haven't bought them in years and am wearing shorts that could really use replacing.

Viper said...

... Oh, and totally forgot to mention that The Wizard of Oz was on last night and I thought it would be way better if the Tin Man were more like me. Cheers.

Xenia said...

Thanks everyone for the great shorts suggestions. My credit card is going to take a huge hit when I'm stateside.

Marcy & Lily--I heart both of you! But I still won't let you send me any care packages. :) It's too expensive. I even discourage my family from doing it too often.

Razz--Thanks for that. I'm going to have nightmares for the next week.

Merry--The container says it's 'moisture locking body butter'. It's composed of 'nutrients, herbs and spices for flavorful moist flesh'. Hey, wait a minute...

Viper--Was that a compliment freely given?! ;) I won't push my luck, but I will say I agree with you.

Meg said...

Sounds like you really need to stock up when you're back. I have a couple pairs of Nike shorts that I love, as well as some Brooks shorts. I think anything with built-in underwear won't ride up too much.

Laura said...

I like running skirts b/c the shorts are tighter, so they don't ride up, but the skirt part covers you so you're not running around in skintight shorts! Nike has a great one with some ultra-techy shorts that are really comfortable.

Frayed Laces said...

Ugh, I hate running in tight shorts. I super hate my Tri shorts...hot purple spandex was not the smartest decision.

I run in Nike Tempo Tracks shorts and New Balance Shorts. Both are loose nylon with the built-in underwear. Don't knock em till you try em.