Monday, 18 August 2008

Coming to America

Although this is being posted on Monday, I am actually writing it during my transatlantic flight on Sunday. I hope to be snoozing the sleep of the slightly jetlagged at my mom’s house when this does post (thank you Blogger for letting me time-delay my posts), rather than be wide-awake at the buttcrack of dawn when the cat swats at my head. We’ll see. I’ll post photos and a hopefully not-overly-long summary of my trip to Greece later this week as I don’t have the time or patience to try to load photos onto Blogger with a dial-up connection. It’ll have to wait till I can get to someplace with WiFi.

I flew into England from Greece on Friday night. Saturday I spent running errands and trying to organize my very disorganized life. I don’t think my attempts did any good though. Damn it.

Today, I woke up at 5:30 am with less than five hours of sleep to get my long run in before leaving for the airport. Am I a glutton for punishment? You betcha! A 12.5 mile run was scheduled for today. I ended up running 13.5. Lack of time and functioning brain cells prevented me from mapping a different route, so I said to hell with it and did my standard 4.5 mile route around Port Meadow three times.

It turned out to be a good run. I stashed a bottle each of Lucozade and water at the start of the loop and then just picked them up as I cruised on by. I’m pretty sure I was the first one out and about this morning in the meadow. It wasn’t until I was halfway through loop #2 that the fishermen arrived at the canal. A few runners appeared around the same time too.

My four-legged friends also joined me in the meadow this morning. I not only had to dodge the frequent cow patties, I also had to maneuver around the cows themselves. I swear, every time I got close, they would purposely walk right in front of me, forcing me to go around them. Fearing a bovine plot to actually crap directly on me, I nearly sprinted most of the time I was in their presence.

Returning home, I showered, hurriedly packed my now dirty running clothes into my bags and then headed to the bus station, where I had the honor of being driven to Heathrow by a colossal prick. He wasn’t rude directly to me, but was severely so to many other passengers and even to his very polite and courteous co-worker. What a dick.

Waiting for my gate number to appear on the screen, I stopped by Starbucks and got a double espresso. I’m not a coffee drinker AT ALL, but the jolt of caffeine was necessary because of the lack of sleep last night and my need to get a little work done during the flight. And I still had time left to write up this post and watch two films, In Bruges and 27 Dresses. I can heartily recommend In Bruges to anyone who has a sick sense of humor and a love of very dark comedy. It had me laughing so much that the gentleman sitting next to me asked what I was watching. Now he too is giggling at the movie. I guess I’m not the only sicko in the world.

Wistful thinking
All this traveling lately has me feeling a bit lonely. I was overly nice today and gave up my window seat so that a young couple could sit together. Now I’m on the aisle of the middle section with nothing to lean on.

This is notable because I’m a personal space nazi. I don’t like touching people I don’t know and I really don’t want them touching me. It makes me a bit twitchy to be in a large crowd for too long. To give the guy next to me some more arm room, I’m leaning a bit towards the aisle, but that puts me in danger of being whacked by the drink cart or one of the dozen or so children who have escaped the confines of their seats and are now running hell bent for leather away from their parents. It’s like a circus in here, only, you know, not as fun. But thankfully it lacks the overbearing smell of feces.

I need a travel buddy. Or a boyfriend I can drag along with me to be my headrest. I feel pathetic having written that, but it’s the truth. I actually enjoy my unattached state most of the time, but now not so much. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m getting older. Or that I’m really tired right now. I don’t know. All I do know is that it’d be nice to be one of the couples I see on the plane. Well, at least the ones who aren’t bickering with one another.

On that pathetic note, let me wish you all a non-sucky Monday.

Ci vediamo dopo. (See you later)

17 comments:

MizFit said...

thanks for checking in on us!
(yeah, thats how I like to think of it :)) AND for letting us know how your trip was.

I vote for tired.

in that I didnt get married until late but really only found myself feeling wistfullonely when exhausted and confronted :) with other happy couples.

when I was rested I was, well, RESTED enough to realize I hadnt yet met the person *I* found worth giving up my solitude...and then I did.

BeachRunner said...

Wow. A 13.5 mile run with all that travel. That is a crazy-great job. Get some rest.

Marcy said...

Ooohhhh girl I am the same way with personal space. And (I'm horrible for this but whateva) if people get too close to me in checklines I'll purposely pick up Cameron because she's a thrasher. OK, you want to get close to me? Well deal with a 2 year old kicking your arms and body HAHAHAA. Kids are good for something, I guess :P

Awesome job getting that mileage done! Have fun Eddie Murphy :P LOL

tfh said...

Hope you are catching up on your sleep. Airplanes are torture.

Roisin said...

I had some young couple try to pull that shit on me on the way back from the Dublin Marathon. I did not give up my aisle seat. Out of principle, dammit!

And I also loved In Bruges.

Running Knitter said...

Hope you are sleeping off that jetlag. Amazing job on your run. I think you should get bonus miles for squeezing in a long run before your trip.

Nitmos said...

The solution to your personal space issue was right in front of you: Wear the sweaty running clothes on the plane. I think you would have had all the room you needed.

Tiger Lily said...

Can't remember if I have commented before.

Sad.

Anyway, I agree whole-heartedly with Nitmos. Sweaty running clothes will always get you more space!

Xenia said...

Tiger Lily--I don't recall you having commented before. Welcome to Diggin' It and thanks for de-lurking. The peanut gallery always needs another nut. :)

Meg said...

Awesome job on the long run with lack of sleep and flight later in the day. I would have opted for the extra sleep for sure! You've already passed the half marathon milage so you'll be great! Have fun catching up with family and on sleep!

Viv said...

I am glad you got a post in with the traveling schedule. Great job on getting that super duper long run in.

I am tired right now too and it has me thinking all kind of thoughts. Just write off as tiredness. Have a nice time and fun, try to relax a bit too.

How was 27 dresses? It must not be that great you mentioned without saying hey check it out. LOL!

Lily on the Road said...

Yup, good job on the extra distance...

I totally hear you about being *alone*, I'm that way on occasion too, but once I've had a good sleep and a great cocktail, I get over it!

Rest up girlie, you've got a lot of clothes (running) shopping to do! Wait for the sports expo, they usually through a few good deals at you!

Ted said...

Holy smokes !!! How in the world can you find the time to run in between? I know its not easy to travel. Flying these days does make me feel like being in a can of sardines. Hope you are getting some rest.

Laura said...

I always travel alone, and always take the window seat so I can lean on the window, and always refuse to give it up.

Yup, I'm a bitch like that :)

RunnerGirl said...

Ugh, I hate traveling so much. I love being in new places, just hate getting there :)

Non-Runner Nancy said...

Hmmm, don't let the couple thing get you down. You only want it to happen if it's right. Otherwise it's not what it's cracked up to be. Happy and safe travels. I don't fit boyfriend but maybe travel partner? :D I'd like to see Greece...

Take it easy.

Steve Stenzel said...

I'll be your BF if you fly me around the world. I'm fun to be with.

Just don't tell me wife.

;)