Friday, 29 August 2008

Comments and concerns

So, here I sit at the computer, typing this post. It’s in the low 70s here, but I’m so cold, I’m bundled up in long pants, a t-shirt and hoodie. I’m also thinking of ditching my flip flops for some socks too. My mother mocks me and blames the weak Mediterranean blood that flows through my veins. I counter with the fact (fact, I tell you!) that her house is colder than Siberia in winter.

Oh, did I forget to mention the icepack I have bandaged to my knee? I did? Well, there, now you know.

I woke up this morning with an ache in the lower inside part of my right knee. Yesterday’s jaunt through the state fair wasn’t any different from any other walk I’ve taken (except for the consumption of some fatty fair food), so I don’t think it was that. Maybe I slept on it wrong. Or one of the cats decided to jump up and down on my knee in the middle of the night. I’m a pretty sound sleeper, it could happen.

Whatever’s wrong with it, I hope it clears up before Sunday. I have a short run planned for today and then I rest up until Sunday morning and my half marathon. The weather forecast so far is favorable for race day. Fingers crossed that doesn’t change in the next two days.

Thank you, ladies, for all the great advice you gave me in yesterday’s post and via email (thanks Chia!). We drove into town last night and I picked up two new sports bras. Today I will give them their test run, lubricated of course with copious amounts of Bodyglide. Here’s hoping the chafage remains minimal.

To distract myself from my overwrought nerves, I’m going to wish Coach Lily good luck tomorrow in her Try-a-tri. Lily, you’re going to be amazing, no worries!

Happy Labor Day weekend everyone! See you next week.

15 comments:

RazZDoodle said...

you'll do great!

If it's any consolation, I thought that my body was falling apart a couple days before my first HM. I'm sure it's just nerves. Just go out, have some fun and give us a full report.

Good luck!

Nitmos said...

Crap, I already wished you Good Luck and now you went and posted again. At the risk of being redundant, Good Luck.

Don't worry, the knee pain will magically go away and allow you to run the race.

Viper said...

These little aches an pains happen. Maybe you were having sympathy pains for me. I had the same pain in the same spot last night after my track session. It went away. So will yours. You'll do great. Have a fun weekend and good luck on your half marathon.

BeachRunner said...

Good luck. Have fun. And bundle up tonight. You will do a great job.

Marcy said...

GOOD LUCK CHICA!! I'm sure you're going to do AWESOME! And the pain? Let's hope it goes away by Sunday! Rock out!!

Merry said...

Actually, I think it's kind of clever of you to get the knee pain out of the way before you do the run. Proactive, that's the word.

Go Xenia!

MizFit said...

GOOD LUCK.

Ill be thinking about you---

Miz.

Jenn N Butter said...

Have a great race. I just know you will rock it.

Jenn

Theresa said...

So you need to get one of the other cats to jump up and down on your other knee to balance...no wait, that doesn't sound right...

It will Go Away! And then you will have an awesome race! A half marathon! How cool is that?!?!

Meg said...

Good luck! You're more than prepared so you'll be fine. I'm sure the knee will calm down in the next day!

Xenia said...

Thanks everyone!

Nitmos--No worries, I can use all the luck I can get.

Viper--If that's true, then please take care of yourself this weekend. Maybe I should send you some vitamins...

Merry--Thanks. I do what I can. :)

chia said...

I just hope I didn't offend your delicate sensibilities too much :-).

I got the freak knee three days prior to my first half mary too, I chalked it up to nervousness and it was just fine by the time race day came along.

Chomp down some foods rich in antioxidants and healthy fats girly... not to mention all those nummy carbs!

Viv said...

Like you can't get enough Bodyglide you can't get enought luck. Have fun hope the weather stays sweet. Stay bundled up and rest up with the legs up :-)

Marci said...

I heard from Lily its your first half this weekend. Have a great run, and enjoy it!! Good luck!

The Laminator said...

Hi Xenia!

Just wanted to wish you good luck on your race! Hope all your woman issues are taken care of and you have a fantastic run!