Wednesday, 6 August 2008

Crime and punishment

The last couple of weeks have not been good on the diet front. I’ve been eating junk food left and right. The numbers on the scale have not changed for the longest time, but yesterday, to my horror, there was an increase. This will not do.

So, I punished myself for my poor food choices. How did I do that, you ask? I did a half-assed version of a brick workout (45-minute spin class and a 3.5 mile tempo run) followed by Week 2 – Day 1 of the push ups challenge and topped it all off with holding a plank position till I reached muscle failure. My so-called brick workout was extra half-assed because my transition time was about thirty minutes – the time it took me to walk home from the gym, scarf down a fruit & yogurt bar and change into my running shoes. But I’m still counting it as hardcore, because that’s how I roll.

The push ups challenge is going well, though I am doing the girly knee push ups. I figure I’ll go through the whole thing once this way then start at the beginning with real push ups. It’ll keep me occupied for a while at least, so that’s good.

To increase my core muscle strength, I’ve added the plank exercise at the end of every push ups session. I’ve blatantly stolen this idea from the wonderful commenters on Marcy’s blog and I feel no remorse for it, so don’t be looking for any. My only plan is to do the plank three times a week and to hold it for as long as possible – until my muscles turn to quivering jelly or until I’m bored out of my skull. Sadly, I usually stop because of the latter. My record so far is 2 minutes and 5 seconds. I’m determined to make it to 5 minutes, so I’m going to have to start bringing reading material if I ever want to actually reach that goal.

Bring on the pain
Tomorrow I’m set to do something truly stupid. I’m getting my first ever bikini wax. If you hear bloodcurdling screams coming from the east tomorrow morning, do not trouble yourselves. That’s just me gettin’ perty.

I already know I’ll be downing a bunch of ibuprofen beforehand and mentally checking into my happy place right before the process commences. Ladies, if you have any other last minute advice for me, I’m all ears. I can use all the help I can get. *gulp*

Ci vediamo domani. (See you tomorrow)

24 comments:

Theresa said...

I thought your workout yesterday seemed a bit masochistic. And now a bikini waxing?!?! Dear bob, why?

Xenia said...

Theresa--Last minute (& obviously ineffectual) vacation prep. Must NOT look totally disgusting in bathing suit. :)

MizFit said...

first---love the plankhold idea too. I always do that BUT Im kinda slacking on the challenge and only doing a few pushups daily (shhh)

AND IM A HUGE WIMP

had a bikiniwax.

didnt think it was too bad!!

fatfighter said...

Sounds like your poor food choices were just a temporary thing and now you're back on track. I've definitely been there - sometimes you just can't help it!

BTW, I've always been to wimpy to get a bikini wax, so you will have to let me know how it goes. ;)

Marcy said...

The only time you should feel guilty is if you surpass me in the Challenge. Then feel guilty LOL JK!

Ohhhhh you'll love the wax :P Really, it's not that bad. But don't go by my advice because after you've had 2 objects the size of a small bus come outta there, nothing hurts LOL

Crabby McSlacker said...

Ow, ow, ow, both on the exhaustion planks and the bikini wax. You're a braver woman than I.

I had a bikini wax once, and I'm sorry, but I thought it hurt like hell. But then I'm a notorious wimp. Regular leg waxing, no prob, but bikini wax? Not going there again.

Good luck!

Jess said...

I have punked out on the bikini wax many many times myself before beach vacations...so you'll have to let me know how really bad it is.

One of these days I just need to suck it up and get it done, but I'm too scared haha

Viper said...

And this is why I read your blog.

Oh, and planks bore me to tears. Good luck with that.

thebets said...

Niiiice happy place! I'm sure that will work.

BeachRunner said...

Nice job with the pushups and good luck with the waxing. You going bare as a "wood floor" or leaving a "landing strip"? LOL. You dont have to answer that.

Xenia said...

Marcy--You talk up pregnancy/birth so much, I want to run out and get knocked up right now. ;)

Viper--You read my blog because I keep inflicting pain on myself or because of the inordinate number of times I mention my private bits?

thebets--Nice to know others approve of my taste in happy places! :)

Beachrunner--I think that would be excessive TMI even for me. However, I will say this: baby steps.

Nitmos said...

Perhaps your scale is going up because of the muscles you are creating through the push-up challenge, planking, and bricking? Yes, let's go with that.

Jenn N Butter said...

I LOVE the happy place. Never had a bikini wax, but I have waxed my eyebrows, does that count? Also I think I know of some plank exercises that won't bore you to tears. Check out:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/qt/plank.htm

It shows different forms of the plank. Then of course you could always try these:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/fitness/search/results.jsp;jsessionid=JNNQWDVM0UETLQFIBQSB42Q?_DARGS=/fitness/templates/searchForm.jsp

Good luck and I hope this helps. I think I am going to steal this idea.

Jenn

Lily on the Road said...

HAHAHAH, Beachrunner!

Good job on the planks, as for the wax, just don't go Brazilian!

Well at least not the day or two before the race, oh, and I bet your thinking I'm speaking from experience??? LMAO...

Merry said...

SPARTANS!!!

Marci said...

I hate plank, but it works.

Ted said...

Can I do the paddling???? Please please please! I love to inflict pain on others. JK !

chia said...

*tee hee* Good luck waxing. I just upgraded to boyshorts to forgo the entire experience.

Way to plank chica! Great workout goodness :-)

Jennifer Burgett said...

A bikini wax is not that bad. I would rather have that done than an upper lip wax.

Great job on the workouts! It's not that half-assed since you had to walk home. . . .

Running Knitter said...

I'm totally impressed with your plank workouts. I may have to start doing planks now too!

P.O.M. said...

No waxing for me.
Laser baby. Laser. Only hurts for a second.

Swimfan13 said...

Waxing didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would and I am a major wuss. My trainer has gone crazy on the planks lately since she found out I am doing the pushup challenge. So I feel your pain.

MizFit said...

so, how was the wax? are you going to debut your new 'do on the net?
(YES IM KIDDING)
would you ever do it again?

oh that I could afford laser...

Miz.

Laura said...

I've never tried a bikini wax b/c I'm terrified... results?