Thursday, 28 August 2008

Houston, we have a problem

Editor’s note: Gentlemen, the beginning of this post is filled with TMI, but not of the fun variety. You’ve now been warned, so I don’t want to hear any complaints in the comments. Proceed at your own peril.

Ladies, I need some advice. Aunt Flo is coming to visit soon and my first half marathon is on Sunday. I don’t think I’ve ever run a double-digit distance during one of her visits, so I’m not sure what precautions to take. Well, besides the usual.


Aunt Flo has already been preceded by Aunt Water Retention, Aunt Headache and Aunt Breast Tenderness. The last one is a real b*tch. My 6 mile run yesterday morning was truncated to 2, mostly because I didn’t want to chance being struck by lightning, but also because of the suffering of my girls. I either need to buy a new sports bra before the weekend or start triple-bagging my chest with my old bras. I know it’s not good to try out new running gear right before race day (holy potential chafage, Batman!), but I think the pros outweigh the cons in this situation. Let me know what you think.


Flying the scary skies

Flying back from the midwest was rather uneventful. Flying there, however, was not. After experiencing a 30-minute delay during the first leg of our flight and a rather long (though planned) layover at O’Hare, my mom and I were well ready to be done with air travel for the day.


We boarded a midget-sized plane older than god (seriously, United, that thing should have been retired the year I was born) which had two broken seats (requiring the re-seating of two passengers) and an interior that hadn’t seen cleaning products in a good long time.


Ghetto-ness aside, we settled in for the short flight. The plane taxied out onto the runway. The engines revved up and we started beetling down the runway only to suddenly have the engines power down, leaving us grounded.


The pilot informed us that one of the instruments turned on a warning light during take-off, so we had to pull off the runway and wait for the plane to be checked out by a mechanic. 25 minutes later, one showed up. His assessment – taxi back to the gate and have the airline mechanics look at it.


So, that’s what we did. Another 25 minutes ticked by until the other mechanics showed up. More time passed. Finally they declared the plane unfit to fly. We were de-boarded and told to wait for a different plane. Finally, at the time we should have arrived in
Omaha, we left on the new plane.

Needless to say, we were not overly impressed, especially since this was also the airline that forgot to board my wheelchair-bound grandmother onto her connecting flight, causing my mom to have heart palpitations when grandma’s luggage showed up in NH but not my grandmother.


Travel fun aside, it’s good to be back in the northeast. My mom and I are off to the state fair today. I’m taking my camera along should there be any amusing photo-ops to share with you all.


Hope you all are having a great day. Catch you later.


P.S. – Did I mention there's only 3 days left till race day!!!

15 comments:

Marcy said...

Is everyone on the same cycle or something? :P Lisa (Chasin Bunnies) just did a post asking if our cycles hindered performance LOL. I'm with you. Mine ache as we speak :-X I just usually "deal with it" BUT I have small boobage so it probably doesn't hurt as bad as someone who has big ones LOL

If you think your boobie hurt is going to be REALLY BAD I'd just get a new bra and LUBE UP like a mo-fer. Either that or wrap yourself in duct tape :P

tfh said...

I would say UCK except I had one of my easiest long runs ever my last period-- hopefully the HM will be same for you. I'm all for double-bagging (I'm guessing triple-bagging is necessary only for larger breasts than mine) since I'm cheap, but again, small boobed girl shouldn't necessarily be giving this kind of advice.

Good luck in the HM! You'll rock it.

S said...

I was having similar problems a few weeks ago and finally just broke down and bought a new bra from UnderArmour. I think as long as you get a bra that has a decently soft band and then use lots of body glide you should be ok. (I haven't had any chafing issues and I ran a 10 mile run the day after I got it) I also took some ibuprofen right before running (which I know isn't great to do) but it did cut down on the soreness. Other than that I got nothing. Sorry. Good luck in your race!

Roisin said...

Go with the new bra...you won't notice the chafe till you're done, but you will notice excess bounce...for 13.1 miles.

O'Hare blows big time, and on behalf of Chicago, I apologize!

Nitmos said...

I refuse to give advice on any of these topics. But good luck with your half mary.

MCM Mama said...

I have to agree with the others, I'd get the new bra. I did 8 miles the other day with a brand new one with no problems. (Of course, I'm so small that I ran my HM wearing a yoga tank and had no bouncing, sigh).

And I'm totally LOL that this is on so many people's minds right now. I expect a visit any minute now, that puts me perfectly in line to have it again for my marathon. I'm really looking forward to that... not.

marie said...

I did one of my halfs last year and a ten miler this year without issue. I actually find running makes the pain easier.

Having little boobage, I have no advice on the bra situation.

Meg said...

I agree with the general consensus: get the new bra and put that Body Glide to use. I haven't had any problems with that time of the month and long runs. I guess just be sure that you're prepared for around 2 hours of movement when you schedule things.

chia said...

I have a really "personal" bit of advice but can't seem to find your e-mail address in my addy book. Booo on me!

I find that the combination of my Champion powerback and my Enell with a lot of body glide does the sistas good. The combination of an encapsulation bra and a compression limits movement from all directions and although they will feel like swollen melons for the "insertion" stage where you're twisting and contorting yourself to get into the damn thing, they will be very snug as a bug in a rug come race time.

Plus, it's probably good to stock up on gear whilst state-side as to avoid the markup of the weak dolla dolla.

New site - http://chiarunner.blogspot.com/

Jenn N Butter said...

I just got new bra's and still have to double bag. Life sucks in triple D. I have found that during my aunt flo's visit I use sports bra's and double bag even when not running because they don't hurt as much when they are compressed.

Anyway's good like on your half. Here is hoping that you kick some state side ass.

Jenn

Viv said...

I always have to double bag. If you find a new one that does the trick just layer on the Body Glide race day so chaffing issues stay the heck away.

Thanks for the lil United rant I was about to book some flights on Uniter that were a lil cheaper but had a connection...bagging it will stick with Continental. See the power of your blog, LOL!

Have a happy holiday weekend and BEST OF LUCK this weekend with the 1/2. Looking forward to the details.

Swimfan13 said...

Good luck with the race. I am set to do a 10k walk/jog this weekend with a visit from aunt flo. So add me to the list as well. Blogging much be like sharing an office together. Eventually everyone gets on the same cycle.

Lily on the Road said...

Yup, everyone has just about wrapped up that subject...LOL...

Oh, good luck girlfriend...hope Mother Nature holds off for a few days....

BeachRunner said...

Good luck mastering the monthly challenge and sorry about your plane experience from hell. Air travel has become such a bleeping nightmare.

Laura said...

Re boobs: I always double bag. Sometimes triple if you count the built-in bra of some of my tanks as a bra.

Re airlines: honestly, all the airlines are pretty much the same. I fly a LOT and don't find much of a difference between one airline and another in terms of delays. Most delays are ATC/airport controlled, and most airlines have about the same maintenance and safety records.