Friday, 8 August 2008

Leaving on a jet plane

Tomorrow kicks off a month of ADD-like traveling. I haven’t seen my family (either branch) in a very long time, so I’m trying to kill a hundred-and-one birds with one stone by bopping all over the place to get some face time in with most of them.

To illustrate how remiss I have been in my familial responsibilities, I haven’t seen my Greek grandmother (my yiayia) in ten years, my American grandmother in about four years and my father in three. I’m pretty sure that last one puts me in the running for the WORST DAUGHTER EVER award, so I need to remedy the situation STAT.

Both my parents are from large families, so I also have dozens of aunts, uncles and countless cousins to see while I’m out and about. I’m going to be in Socializing Overload, so I’m hoping to be able to get some runs in as that is likely to be the only alone time I’ll get for the foreseeable future.

Saturday I head off to Greece for six days to spend some quality time with my pops, yiayia and my sister. And the aforementioned extended family that seems to breed like freaking rabbits. Two days after that I fly to the states where I will hit both the east coast and the midwest. Too bad my frequent flyer miles are being spread over so many different airlines or I’d probably have a free ticket by the end of the summer.

Oh, and have I mentioned that near the end of all this I’ll be running in my first half marathon? No? Well now I have.

Getting time to run in the US shouldn’t be much of a problem, but Greece is a different story. I come from a long line of Greek country hicks and these people live in the middle of nowhere. My yiayia’s village is nicknamed ‘the village that God forgot about’ because it’s tucked up into the hills and really out of the way. It only has about a hundred or so people in it and I’m pretty sure I’m related to every one of them, sadly probably in multiple ways. (‘Hey there cousin-aunt! Waz up?’)

These people don’t run unless they’re chased. Their exercise comes from manual labor – working the fields and herding livestock. Hell, donkeys are still frequently used for transport. Well, at least they were ten years ago when I was last there. Maybe things have changed since then. Maybe yiayia now has indoor plumbing. Guess I’ll find out this weekend.

Internet access is not likely to be had while in Greece, so Diggin’ It is going dark for a while. I’m going to try to post tomorrow for the 8 on the 8th virtual race (one day off target isn’t too bad), but I probably won’t have the opportunity to do so again for about a week. Posting while at my mom’s should be rather interesting too though as I will have to contend with dial-up access since she lives in the wilds of NH and DSL hasn’t found it’s way into moose country just yet.

Good luck to all those racing between now and then. I look forward to catching up with all your antics when I get back to civilization.

Later gators.

15 comments:

Theresa said...

Have a great holiday! And here's wishing you lost of uneventful travel and great runs in various parts!

chia said...

Many hopes you will not need to poo in the olive jar.

NO indoor plumbing is nearly as blasphemous as no internets. *gasp*

Have loads of fun!!!!

RazZDoodle said...

Have fun! Enjoy the fam!

carla said...

*wait*
I had that award for the 2007-2008 season.

Am I supposed to mail you the sash?

MizFit

BeachRunner said...

Enjoy your family and time in Greece.

Marcy said...

Ooohhh girl I'm going to miss you!! :-( You have a fab time!! Hopefully you're fam isn't bad like mine (after about 15 minutes you are READY TO GET THE HELL ON OUTTA THERE LOL) Take lots of pics and GOOD LUCK with the HM!! I'm sure you'll do awesome! And go get yourself a nice race t-shirt ;-)

tfh said...

Have fun! That half marathon looks fun. It's less than 20 miles from my hometown in fact. Represent!

Half of me is from a long line of European hicks too. Last time I went for a morning run there I inhaled a lifetime's worth of pesticides being sprayed on the crops. Any time off will probably do you good...and make you crazy enough to love running even more passionately.

Nitmos said...

Any vacation involving a donkey is tops in my book!

Jenn N Butter said...

To nitmos' comment I say, WOW!

To Xenia, have a great time on your vacations. Good luck in your half and take lots of pics to post so we can all see how wonderful your trip was.

Jenn

Roisin said...

Christos Anesti! I know it's not Easter, not is that spelled correctly...but you get the idea. Enjoy some Ouzo (again...I can't spell Greek stuff) for all of us!

Jess said...

Wow you're all over the place! Have fun in your travels.

Running Knitter said...

Have a great trip and take lots of pics! If you get the chance while in NH, please have some lobster and clam chowder for me. :)

Vanilla said...

Have fun, and try not to use the dial-up internet connection. It will just frustrate the hell out of you.

Lily on the Road said...

Have a FANTABOULOUS time with the fams in Greece, donkey and all!! Take a ton of pic's, write us a journal that you'll share with us when you get back to blog land. I promise to stay out of , well maybe away from Chippendale's free drinkey's while you're gone!!!

Miss you already!!!

*hugs*,
Coach...

Karen said...

Hurray on your half marathon!!!

Please post how it goes!
I learned Koine Greek and Latin as a grad student. Too bad I don't remember any of it or I'd post you a secret message... "What'dya mean you no eat no meat!? That's ok, I make lamb."