Tuesday, 26 August 2008

Pit stop

I'm still visiting family in the midwest, hence the lack of posting. It's been wall-to-wall visits with the family with a little bit of shopping thrown in for good measure.

Sunday morning I got out for an 8 mile run. It was pretty nice and flat, a very pleasant change from the hills of New Hampshire. The route my aunt recommended had me running through a lot of residential neighborhoods and then on the bike path along the highway which afforded a great view of the Omaha skyline.

Although I know better, I have been surprised at the number of friendly greetings I've received while running here. In England, I hardly ever get any kind of acknowledgment from other runners, let alone anyone else. I thought it was me at first, but then I realized that the English are just very reserved.

Every person I came across on my Sunday run had a cheery hello or a happy smile to throw my way. For a minute I wondered if the town pumped something into the water to make everyone this pleasant, but I guess it's just an American thing. Whatever it can be attributed to, it was a rather nice experience.

This morning I was supposed to get in a 6 mile run, but that was thwarted when an energetic 2-year old jumped on my bed at the buttcrack of dawn and demanded my undivided attention. Ah, family.

Hope you all are having a good week so far. I'll catch up with you later.

11 comments:

MizFit said...

the paragraph from THIS MORNING to ATTENTION is my life :)

glad the family time is fun...for ME it can go either way.

Miz.

Ted said...

Enjoy your time out in the Midwest! I am sure it feels good to be back in the good old U S of A ! Thanks for keeping us posted during your hectic traveling days.

Merry said...

Omaha has a skyline?

RazZDoodle said...

A skyline, indoor plumbing, and we're getting something called cable TV pert near soon.

Marcy said...

The English are more "reserved", is that your nice way of saying they're rude mo-foers? LOL JK!

Jess said...

glad your having fun while visiting the fam and passing some nice runners in the process!

tfh said...

I definitely feel my pace pick up after someone greets me running...enjoy the family time. I appreciate time spent with toddlers for always reminding my biological clock to stop romanticizing the experience of having kids...

Meg said...

You are cramming some very diverse corners of the world into this month! Enjoy your family time!

Viv said...

The welcome friendly runners of the US gotta love the American runners nod!

Way to get the run in on the other side of the pond. Thought I throw that since they always say that about us. LOL!

Keep enjoying your visit.

Jenn N Butter said...

It's funny actually because americans have a reputation for being rude and inconsiderate.

In my town we have a rail trail and river walk where people here go to enjoy the day. I run and walk on this trail and almost everyone I meet says hello or smiles. Young or Old, they are always friendly. It helps that they love my dog but I digress. I think I would really miss the experience of fellowship with others if it where not there.

Jenn

Non-Runner Nancy said...

Yep, we Iowegians are like that. :D Damn, I wish you would have run by me. So close...