Monday, 4 August 2008

Sore

That pretty much describes my 11-miler on Sunday. My arms were suffering the after-effects of Saturday’s Body Combat class (that’ll teach me to be lax with strength training) which made my long run just that much more entertaining.

I did a double loop around Port Meadow with a two mile out and back in the meadow itself. During the first loop, I came across Mullet Man and his woman. They were actually quite polite, said good day, and moved over to allow me room to get by. An hour later, when I was on the second loop, I passed them again. I saw Mullet Man do a double take, obviously recognizing me from before (it probably helped that I wore a bright blue shirt) and likely thinking I was a loon for running so much. Eh, join the club, which includes most of the people in my life.

Birdlife and livestock were out and about in numbers again. Along the canal there’s a very belligerent momma duck. Her nest (with adorable little fuzzball babies!) is right along the edge of the water, but the path itself is not that wide, so she stands on the path and snaps at everyone who passes by. One of these days I’m going to come away missing a chunk of my leg, I’m sure of it.

Running through the meadow, I was tempted to stop and pet one of the very friendly horses, like many other people were doing, but I decided against it. Sweating like crazy, I was afraid the animals would think I was a moving salt lick. Not wanting to invite potential trouble, I trekked on.

Speaking of sweating, do you all have trouble with sweat getting in your eyes? It stings like crazy! I’m not a hat person, so I don’t really know what to do about it besides using my shirt to wipe some of it away, which inevitably exacerbates the problem since my shirt is already soaked in my salty sweat. It’s a losing battle really.

By mile 7 my legs felt pretty dead. I made it through the next four miles only because I knew it was the fastest way home. Dragging my sorry butt up the stairs, I devoured some green olives (I really need to go to the store) and iced both my knees. They’re holding up pretty well though, only a few twinges and aches here and there. My thighs felt like blocks of stone. Sore blocks of stone, but they're doing all right now. Everything should be okay again for tomorrow's run.

This week is shaping up to be a busy one. I’ve got a chapter to submit, a conference proposal to write up, Nancy’s 8 on the 8th to run and (pulling a Chia) my stuff to move to my new place. That’s right, folks, I’m finally getting myself out of graduate accommodation and into a real house. For the past three years I’ve been living in a converted hospital with about sixty other sorry bastards. I know people who’ve actually had surgeries in this building. Hell, the nurse call button is still in my room. Don’t believe me? Here’s a picture.

No, it no longer works. What a waste.

I’ve successfully managed to avoid thinking about the fact that the basement of this place used to be a morgue. Fingers crossed my delusional state continues for the next five days.

Hope you are all surviving this craptastic Monday.

Ci vediamo dopo. (See you later)

15 comments:

Marcy said...

I always use Bondi Bands but now I'm finding that they don't work so well with anything over 13 mi soo I slap on a BBand PLUS a Head Sweat Visor :-X Yeah I'm that sweaty. Gross Or you could always go the Richard Simmons route with one of those 80's sweatbands :P

Anonymous said...

LOL (and I never use those 3 letters if I can help it) @ the salt lick remark.

And duly noted as I, too, sweat like the proverbial mo'fo'


MizFit

Viper said...

I used to use a bandanna as a sweatband, which worked well, but now I just let it sting. You get used to it.

Kevin said...

I sweat profusely, I love my headsweat

Theresa said...

Sounds like it's time to breakout the Oxford Fun Run oh-so-stylish wristbands!

Jess said...

Nothing's worse than sweat in the eyes...it's doubly worse if you wear contacts like me because then it gets trapped and burnnns like a mofo!

Jenn N Butter said...

I tie a handkerchief on one of my wrists, then I can just do that whole 'swipe arm across forehead, run, repeat' thing. It works for me, but then I am not up to 11 miles yet.

Hospitals are creepy (shivers), congrats on getting into "real" housing.

Jenn

tfh said...

Nice eleven miler. I don't think I'd be able to do it if all I had to return home to was olives, though.

Sweat in eyes is definitely painful. As my runs get longer I need to find a solution for this, too.

thebets said...

You must have smelled lovely after that! Eleven miles of sweat and green olives...

thebets said...

You must have smelled lovely after that! Eleven miles of sweat and green olives...

Running Knitter said...

Nice job on the 11 miler! how about a visor to take care of the sweat?

Reid said...

I'm actually a big fan of the headband (and I don't think Richard Simmons wore one). I'd recommend it to anyone!

Nitmos said...

I want a nurse button in my house. When I push it, people will bring me beer...candy...whatever my little heart desires. It doesn't even have to be a nurse though that would be nice. Or a french maid.

Swimfan13 said...

Great job on making the 11 miler. I wear a visor. I sweat alot although am not up to 11 miles but I do run in the deep south so it is just HOT! Love the nurse call button. Congrats on the new place!

Lily on the Road said...

LOL at Nitmos....

and what do you mean "use" to be used as a morgue?

BWWWAAAAHHHHHHAAAAA!!!

Just Kidding!

LMAO

good job on your run BTW!