Monday, 29 September 2008

Home again...sort of

Yesterday I boarded a plane for England. Once in my seat, I actually dropped off to sleep pretty quickly, even missing out on the take off. I woke up about an hour or so later and looked out the window to see the snow covered Alps. I was just about to reach for my bag to get out my camera when I remembered that I’d left the camera behind in my room in Rome. Bugger. Maybe next time.

Because I’d had no time this weekend, I was determined to get my long run in this morning. I set the alarm for 7 am, but didn’t get out of the house until 9. Hey, I was tired.

I returned to my old stomping ground, Port Meadow. Stashing a bottle each of water and Powerade in my usual spot, I headed out along the canal to run three loops around the meadow and a little bit inside to reach my 14 mile goal.

For a while I was reunited with my bovine and equine friends as I ran amongst them for about a mile. They greeted me with enthusiasm. And by enthusiasm I mean total indifference. Eh, at least it wasn’t rage.

The run itself was fine until about two thirds of the way through when my left knee twinged and my quads started to feel heavy. It slowed my pace considerably during the last loop, but at least I didn’t give in to the urge to walk.

Once I got home, I finally remembered to try Legs Up. It actually seemed to work, taking away my knee pain. I think this makes me indebted to Viper now. I don’t like that.

Sad news
As I’m sure you all know, Paul Newman passed away on Friday. He was a fabulous actor and great philanthropist and he will be greatly missed. I’ve had a crush on Paul Newman for ages. As Ellen can attest, I had a poster of Newman from the film Cool Hand Luke hanging above my bed at college. His presence ensured I had the sweetest of dreams.

Rest in peace, Mr. Newman.

I hope you all have a great week ahead. I’ll catch up with you later.

13 comments:

Marcy said...

Yikes, you might owe him a beer or something LOL

BeachRunner said...

Mr. Newman? After all those years of a crush, don't you get to call him Paul? I agree he was an all around super cool, good guy.

Girl on Top said...

Great job to getting your miles done.

tfh said...

Well, I guess indebtedness to Viper is better than a hurt knee.

After I got past my initial sadness, I've been celebrating Paul Newman's life by renting his movies and eating his popcorn.

chia said...

You make me want to fly back there :-).

I'm glad you have a happy knee now! Safe travels girly!

Viv said...

Sorry but I had to giggle at beachrunner with the can you get to call him Paul after the crush.

I am glad the legs up worked and way to go with 14 by the way.

i was reading in RW that after a long run that is one of the top 4 things you should do after every long run to avoid injurty.

Glad you made it back to "home" safely.

The Laminator said...

Good weekend run, Xenia! Way to go.

Still can't imagine running next to animals though...none to be found here in the city...

Meg said...

Nice long run. How long are you in England again?

the erratic epicurean said...

sad, sad news about paul newman - also a major crush of mine. ahhhhh......

Frayed Laces said...

Way to squeeze a run in!

Viper said...

Glad my method worked. Some day I will ask you for a favor ...

I'm very sad about Paul Newman. Cool Hand Luke is my favorite movie of all time. "I've never planned a thing in my life." R.I.P. and cheers.

Ted said...

Never knew Paul Newman was originally from Cleveland (Shaker Heights) as I am originally from Cleveland, too! (Parma Heights).

I cannot believe you can still find the time to run in between your crazy schedule. Welcome back to England.

Ellen said...

Yes! I instantly recalled that poster on your wall when I saw the news. I remember you wouldn't let anyone touch it but you.