Friday, 19 September 2008

Inevitable

If you look at the sidebar on the right, you’ll see I’ve only gotten in one run this week. It should be two. Now I have to run both days this weekend to get in my miles. Poop.

My workload is rather onerous as of late and will continue to be so throughout my stay in Rome. This has caused me to put off my runs recently and is the reason why I haven’t been keeping up with the push ups challenge for several weeks. The 45 minute bus commute in the mornings and afternoons to reach the main library hasn’t helped either. I realize many of you have to endure far worse commutes and the like, but this whole thing is new to me and rather detrimental to my regular schedule.

Lurkers de-lurked
I finally had a long phone call with my mom and sister yesterday. Amongst the serious subjects under discussion (more on that below), my mom said this: “I’ve read your blog.”

Me: “What?!”
Mom: “So, you peed in the sink?”
Me, slightly embarrassed: “I had to, Mom. It was an emergency.”
Mom: “With your advisor in the next room!” This is where she had to stop talking because she was laughing so much.

It’s good to know my mother loves us regardless. Even when she finds out one of her daughters is a sink peer.

I love you too, Mom.

At this point, with my mother still wheezing in the background, my sister got on the phone.

Z: “Ha, you peed in the sink!”
Me: “So I take it you read my Wednesday post.”
Z: “I read all your posts.”
Me: “Really?”

There you have it, folks. My family stalks my blog. Scary thought, huh? They seem to find all the banter in the comments rather entertaining too. [Editor’s note: Btw, Marcy, my sister thinks you’re hilarious and loves your blogger profile photo. Thought you’d like to know. :)] Go ahead and address them in the comments too if you want. The only thing I ask is that you show them due respect. They have to put up with me in real life which is sadly a lot worse than what you all deal with...voluntarily, I might add.

Sad news
My furball, Athena, has gotten worse. Her health declined rather rapidly this week. She’s in obvious pain now and can no longer climb up any of the stairs. My family and I have spent the last couple of days making preparations. Today is the final vet appointment. I wish more than anything that I could be there with her as she passes, but I know that’s not possible. Thankfully, my sister flew out yesterday to be with my mom so she didn’t have to go through it alone. I know to non-pet owners we sound like crazy people, but Athena and her brother, Sneezer, have been a huge part of our lives for 14 years and that’s really hard to try to let go of.

I’ll be leaving the library early today, so that I can make it back to the flat to call them before and after the appointment. I’d rather not have an audience while my heart breaks.

Rest in peace, my baby girl. I miss you already.

It appears the weather has decided to match my mood for the day. The skies are overcast and the temperature has dipped. Friends have invited me out tonight to help me drink my pain away. Depending on how blotchy my face is and if I feel up to company, I may join them. Thankfully Italians are quite accustomed to extreme emotions, so I know I won’t seem strange should I shed a few tears in public.

I’m really hoping my 12 miler this weekend is the catharsis I need it to be. Otherwise I may not post next week for fear of depressing you all even further.

Later.

33 comments:

Marcy said...

Ahhhhhhh family! Whenever I find out that fam reads I always feel like I should be on my best behavior LOL. Do I even have "best behavior? :P

I know my sister reads my blog, but as far as the rest of my fam? I'm pretty sure no and if they do they would expect that sort of trash to come out of my mouth. My Mom would probably disapprove and say "OMG you are DISGUSTING. Why do you say those things?" LOL

Awwhhhh I'm sorry about Athena. It's never easy to let them go. (((HUGS)))

MizFit said...

feel for you and relate to ALL.

Im gonna focus on athena as Im all too recently familiar with that pain.

xo xo,

Miz.

Danielle in Iowa said...

Aw, poor kitty :-(

(And I hope my parents don't secretly stalk my blog!)

Lily on the Road said...

Oh Xenia, my heart is with you today...it is never, ever easy! okay now I'm sitting at my desk bawling my eyes out....as you know my blog is named for my cat "Lily", we will be thinking of you and your family...God Bless the animals...

*hugs*
Laurel

MissAllycat said...

Xenia, so sorry to hear about Athena. :( It's so hard lose a faithful friend!

tfh said...

Rest in peace, Athena. Hope her family-- whom I know all read this blog-- is holding up. Take care.

Ms. V. said...

So sorry about your cat. :(

My Mom called me a few weeks ago, and said, "Your father and I have read your blog, and we can't believe you wrote Namaste, you bastards."

She says, "What is Namaste?"

I try to remember they read...

Jennifer Burgett said...

My heart goes out to you today. I have shed a few tears for you just reading your blog. I am a HUGE pet lover so I totally "get it".

Merry said...

She looks lovely. 14 years? That sounds like she had a good life and felt loved and appreciated. And maybe a little spoiled from time to time, but that is only how things should be when you're a beautiful cat.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Steve Stenzel said...

I was laughing at your family reading your blog!!

And I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. That soo sad!

RazZDoodle said...

yeah. My fam reads my blog now, which is fine about 98% of the time.

I think running will do you some good this weekend. Try and have a good one!

Viper said...

I'm sorry about your cat. And that sentiment extends to your familial audience.

I'll keep my usual backhanded comments to my blog today. Have a rejuvenating weekend.

Karen said...

Sorry about your furball! :(
The 12 miler might help this weekend. Long runs always help me.

Melanie said...

I'm so sorry about your cat! My himalayan that I'd had for 15 years died last summer, and I know it's SO hard! I wish you well this weekend.

Tiger Lily said...

I have read your blog for a while now and don't remember if I have commented or not but I am very sorry about your kitty! She is very beautiful! Take care!

Running Knitter said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Athena. Hugs to you and your family.

BeachRunner said...

So sorry about Athena. But you are blessed to have a wonderful, loving and supportive family.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I'm sorry about Athena. As a pet owner myself, I fully understand how difficult this is. *hugs*

Jenn said...

Sorry about Athena. Sometimes it's almost harder to be there than not when a pet is lost. I was in hysterics when we had to put my princess down.

As for your family reading, I have a mother in law and a step mother in law that both read my blog. I have to be very careful what is said sometimes and I don't get to give the juicy and inappropriate details because that family is all about "appearances".

Enjoy your runs this weekend. I am confident that they will help.

Jenn

Kristina said...

Sorry about your kitty.
I am relieved to know you aren't in Rome trying to find dinosaurs, as it would probably be a wasted trip, professionally speaking... even though I thought dinosaurs went extinct b/c the Romans killed all of them in gladiator fights ;)

Meg said...

I'm sorry about your kitty. I'm glad you got to see her so recently.
I'm waiting for someone I know to find my blog. I'll probably freak a little bit and edit stuff out haha. I think I can handle my family but some other people I know would be a little annoying.

Nitmos said...

I'd hate to have my family know all of the places I've peed. A sink is nothing.

Roisin said...

I'm sorry about your kitten, and I hope she's not in too much pain.

And yes, you are a bad ass.

AddictedToEndorphins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AddictedToEndorphins said...

I sincerly hope my family doesn't read mny blog. I know mmy aunt did for awhile but I'm pretty sure i nipped that one in the butt quickly.

Sorry to hear about your kitty.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Sorry about your kitty.

Run For Life said...

I know how much it hurts when pets leave us, I'm sorry for your loss.

chia said...

I think Gizmo has a thing for older tail. He was rather sad when I told him she has to go to the big litter box in the sky :-(. I'm sad too girlfriend - much trans-atlantic love and hugs to you.

chia said...

Oh, and Mom... I unintentionally dropped a steamer in front of 25+ passengers on a Grata bus ;-). I'm with Nitmos... sink is nothin!

Marci said...

Sorry to about your cat. A loss of a pet is like losing a family member, but by the sounds of it, it is the best thing.

The Laminator said...

It's quite difficult to hide your blog from your family...once one knows, they all know...

Sorry about your cat. Sounds like she's been very faithful to you and your family. Don't let the bad times shadow the good ones you all have shared with her.

Frayed Laces said...

It's so weird when you find out "real" people read your blog. I found out my grandma reads it occasionally! Damn! Now I have to censor everything!

So sorry to hear about Athena. Just be happy she will no longer be in pain.

Viv said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of Athena.


There has to be a way I can block my parents from coming on to my blog isnt there?!