Monday, 15 September 2008

A river runs through it

Sunday I ran a 10 miler. The weather conditions couldn’t have been more perfect. Light breeze, partly cloudy skies (a godsend considering I forgot to wear my sunglasses) and cool temps in the 70s. There was a hint of rain in the air but thankfully it held off until later that morning.

Keys of Death in hand, I set off.

The first third or so of the run was along the Tiber river. The water was a rather toxic-looking green, but the numerous bridges and great views of some historic sites certainly made up for it. After that I made my way into the monument-filled city center ending with a double loop inside the Circus Maximus. If you’re interested in the exact details of the run, you can check it out here.

I’m taking advantage of my current location and running in the city center as much as possible before October when I’ll be changing residence. The new digs are on the northeast side of the city, so with the exception of my LSDs, my weekday runs will be located in and around the more conveniently located Villa Borghese.

All in all, another solid and enjoyable run in the books. Rome has countless public drinking fountains, so I don’t have to worry about hydration while running. However, electrolyte depletion is still a concern. For lack of a better option, I carried a small bag of gummy bears in my pocket. They seemed to do the trick, but I’m open to other suggestions if you all have any.

Getting on my nerves
For almost a week now, the outside of my left hand, including my pinky finger and the left side of my ring finger, have felt numb. I think I may have pinched a nerve dragging my suitcases up and down subway stairs and over the cobblestone sidewalks when I first arrived here. Does anyone know what I can do to speed up the healing process or am I stuck with it until it fixes itself? It doesn’t hurt, but it’s a constant annoyance, especially as my left hand is my dominant hand. I’m having to do a lot of typing right now, so this is definitely not helping matters.

The famous (and tasty?) Mr. Ed
Wandering around a market a few days ago, I came across this stall.

Horse, it’s what’s for dinner.

I think I now know what being Barbaroed means. Crickey.

Hope you all have a good week.

Ci vediamo dopo. (See you later)

21 comments:

Marcy said...

*sigh* You are so lucky! I'll be in retirement age before I can enjoy running anywhere that isn't within 20 miles of my house HAHA.

How about Nuun tablets? I've never used them before but the word on the street is they're pretty good. I don't know how available they are in your current neck of the woods though . . . LOL

Mark Salinas said...

Wow!...I need a vacation! ;)

tfh said...

I guess horse meat probably isn't the best source of electrolytes...

RazZDoodle said...

Carne Equina....it's what's for dinner.

Jenn N Butter said...

Holy Crap! They ate Mr. Ed!

I am coming to visit you so that I can see all of this first hand. Pictures don't do it justice I'm sure.

Jenn

Nitmos said...

I could tell you were typing right handed. It comes through.

I had a similar run in with a fast food establishment called "Panda House". Panda? No thanks. Doesn't sound good.

MizFit said...

I think I threw up in my mouth a little...

Roisin said...

Oooooohhhhhhhhh Barbaroed...touchez ;)

I wonder if barbequed counts as well?

Running Knitter said...

That looks like such a great place to run. I'm jealous.

I run with gummy bears too. Oh, and FYI - our Asics are being discontinued. :(

thebets said...

Wow...poor Ed. I wonder what horse tastes like? Chicken?

Your run sounds amazing...enjoy! I'm trying hard not to be jealous : ).

Non-Runner Nancy said...

Oh wonderful running -- so makes me want to go back. Keep us in details and pics if you can!!

Those death keys aren't causing your numbness, are they?

Frayed Laces said...

Hmmm I wonder what the nutitioinal content of horse is?

Thanks for your condolences, sistah!

BeachRunner said...

Damn you. Your run reports are going to KILL me [in a good, I am soooo jealous, kind of way].

Meg said...

Nice run! Ha, you just reminded me of the strange meat you run into over there! Well, maybe it's the presentation that creeped me out...pig's heads, "shrimp" the size of trout with all their little legs still there, etc! At least you should be haggis-free!

chia said...

Sweet trot there lil lady!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Sounds like a lovely place for a 10 mile run.

Lily on the Road said...

Well, its taken me three attempts to post a comment, no not blogger being bad, but me, recovering from the distress of horse meat. I know, I know, but still, I have a problem with it, just like eating dog and cat....yes, the world does that too...

other than that

I love your post, thanks for the visuals, (well not all of them)''

it has been a long time since I graced the shores of Italy...one never knows where one will end up!

enjoy your running, can hardly wait to hear more!

Merry said...

Whoa there! Just say 'neigh'!

Laura said...

I definitely think you should put the keys of death in your bra. Put them in between your bra and your shirt - if you have a built in bra in addition to the regular one, it works perfectly.

Ted said...

After this, I am going to check on the airfare on Alitalia Airlines. I don't think my budget is going to meet with the airfare. I am quite jealous that you are running around in Rome. I cannot help but think it must be so damn beautiful with so many historical relevance. Great post!

Cindy said...

hey! sounds like yo stretched your ulnar nerve a tad--i did it doing triceps presses once, very annoying. the bad news: not too much to do about it other than chill :-S