Monday, 27 October 2008

20 miles and a winner

First 20 miler is in the bag. Woo hoo! How do I feel about it? Great, because it’s over and done with. How’s that for optimism.

Taking advantage of daylight savings time (I think you all ‘fall back’ next weekend?), I waited till Sunday for my run, setting out at the lovely hour of 6 am. Everything was fine except that I was forced to take a bathroom stop between miles 7 and 8. I prefer to hold off on a loo break for as long as possible since once I stop, my legs seem to feel much heavier and uncooperative afterwards. All that sitting down, no matter how brief, signals to my legs that work time is over when it is in fact not. It just makes the rest of the run that much more arduous.

The tiredness was compounded by an ache in my left shoulder that appeared at mile 11, another loo stop between miles 14 and 15 and some douchebag in an SUV stopping me to ask for directions just after I’d passed the Circus Maximus. Seriously, people, I’m running here. Leave me alone.

The piece de resistance occurred at mile 17 when I was running on a leaf-strewn sidewalk. I unknowingly placed my foot in a divot and nearly ate asphalt. Good news, I didn’t fall down. Bad news, I twisted my ankle something fierce. It felt tender but not like anything was broken or torn, so I kept running figuring it was better for me to get home quickly rather than to take it easy and walk the rest of the way. I iced it down after the run and there's only a bit of stiffness now, so I think it's going to be fine.

I picked up the pace for the last two miles, but this was rendered a bit futile as the last two miles were full of hills. Seriously, I need to plan my runs better, but it doesn’t help that I have to cross over a big fat hill to get home anyway.

According to my training schedule I was supposed to run at an 11:57 pace. Instead, I ran at a 12:11 pace. Considering this was my first ever 20-miler, I don’t really care what my pace was as long as I completed the entire run, which I did. I’ll worry about pacing during my other two potential 20s.

Wagon, I’s falled off it
I had a post-20 miler chocolate meltdown. Damn you, Nutella, damn you and your hazelnut goodness! There goes one of my goals for the 21 day habit challenge. So far so good with the language study though.

And the winner is...
The answers to all of last week’s quiz questions were D. But, seeing as how a question or two were a bit ambiguous, I included everyone in the random number draw. The lucky number was 12.



The 12th commenter was Ted. You were wrong on so many of the questions, Ted, but luck is on your side. Yay for you! Email me your snail mail address and I’ll get the Popener and postcard out to you soon.

If you’re disgruntled by the outcome, don’t fret. There will be several more opportunities for you to cock up win in future. Maybe next time I won’t write such a crappy quiz. Here’s to hoping.

Okay, guys, hope you all have a good week. Catch up with you later.

19 comments:

Ms. V. said...

Great job on the run!

RazZDoodle said...

Really? I spent hours coming up with pithy and HI-larious comments about the quiz and this is what I get from "random.org"? Really????

Nice job on the 20 miler. Running through the pain. Impressive!

Merry said...

Ms. Xenia, I am impressed!
Who cares about the pace, you just ran 20 friggin' miles, girl!

Girl on Top said...

Great job on the run!

Viper said...

For your first 20, you were pretty close to your goal pace. Good job.

As for this random selection of a winner? Who are you, Nike? Boo hiss!

tfh said...

Congratulations on the 20 miler! Hope the ankle's fine. I'm not surprised you succumbed to the Nutella. One can only succeed in so many incredible tasks at one time-- running 20 miles AND giving up chocolate is not, as far as I know, humanly possible.

Ted said...

Hat off to you for getting the job done with your 20 miler. Way to go!! Florence Marathon is coming around the corner and cannot wait to read all about it.

FYI - 12 is my favorite number so I am quite surprised that the Random Integer Generator picked out my favorite number. The number 12 RULES !!!!

Marcy said...

Dayum it! I'll win one of these days . . even if I have to rig the system :P

AWESOME JOB on your 20 miler! Don't sweat the pace, seriously! Worry about it for the next marathon ;-)

BeachRunner said...

Congrats on 20. That is awesome.

Brooke said...

awesome job! I can't wait to get there myself...today I have my 11 mile run, which will be my longest to date. I have to laugh at your mention of Nutella...I discovered it when in Italy on vacation and ate about three jars. Luckily it took me about three years after returning to discover they sell it here, too. I avoid it like the plague...I can sit and eat a whole jar at once.

Jess said...

Congrats on your 20 miler! Sounds like a pretty good run!

Jamie said...

Great job on the 20 miler - no worries about the pace.

MCM Mama said...

Great job on the 20 miler! Keep up the good work!

joyRuN said...

Congrats on the 20-miler!

Don't worry about the Nutella - who can ever resist that yumminess?

Marci said...

Great job on your 20 miler! What a great milestone!

Mel said...

Congrats on the 20 miler. I was really hoping for that Popener. Maybe next time.

Jenn said...

Don't worry! Nutella isn't chocolate. We consider it to be a seperate food group all together around here, so obviously eating it doesn't count!

Totally bummed that yet again I did not get a Popener. I really need one you know!

Congrats on your 20 miles. You did an amazing job!

Jenn

Meg said...

Yeah! Nice job on the 20 miler! Sometimes I get shoulder aches and I've been told it's just that I'm holding too much tension in my shoulders when I run. I try to maybe stretch it a little bit and then concentrate on relaxing my shoulders and it usually goes away.

Roisin said...

Catching up now...congrats on getting the 20 miler done and over with!!! Sorry about your ankle though. I do believe Nutella is listed as a sure for such injuries, so enjoy!