Friday, 17 October 2008

Confession

Forgive me, bloggers, for I have sinned. It’s been never since I made a confession. My sin? I partook of food-like items from the unholiest of places last night.

Yes, from Burger King.

My reason for falling in with the Dark One? I couldn’t take another night of pasta or pizza. Last night, a bunch of us attended the opera (not a full one. The singers didn’t wear corsets or Viking helmets or anything, but it was still cool), so we weren’t going to be able to dine at the Nerditorium per our usual. Instead, people were planning on grabbing pizza slices on the way. That just didn’t sound appealing to me, especially since I’d eaten pizza for lunch the day before. I could have cooked up my own pre-opera dinner, but all I had in the cupboard was pasta. And I really, really didn’t want to eat it. Hence my trip to the Diner of the Dark One.

Was it worth it? Not really. Will I be sinning again? Probably, but I hope the urge won’t strike again until after November 9th when Viv’s weight loss challenge is over. Boy, am I not starting out well with this challenge!

To make matters worse, I’ve done sod all since Tuesday on the exercise front and I don’t have an excuse. Well, not any good ones. Bah. If it ever stops raining today, I’ll run out and get a 7 miler in. Promise.

Well, with that out of the way, let’s get to the good stuff, shall we?

Y’all made me laugh with your quiz answers. A lot. In a good way. Thanks for that.

Here are the answers to the messed-up quiz:

1) (c) The man was indeed a cobbler, despite evidence to the contrary.

2) The emperor was Hadrian and the boy toy was Antinous. This was a difficult one as most emperors, at least in the early to mid imperial period, were accused of having homosexual and/or pedophiliac proclivities. And just so you can see how far (or not far) off the mark you were, here is a chronological list of emperors up to the time of Hadrian.
  • Augustus, also known as Octavian (27 BC – AD 14)
  • Tiberius (14 – 37)
  • Caligula, real name Gaius (37 – 41)
  • Claudius (41 – 54)
  • Nero (54 – 68)
  • Galba (68 – 69)
  • Otho (69)
  • Vitellius (69)
  • Vespasian (69 – 79)
  • Titus (79 – 81)
  • Domitian (81 – 96)
  • Nerva (96 – 98)
  • Trajan (98 – 117)
  • Hadrian (117 – 138)
Editor’s note: Julius Caesar was not an emperor. He was a dictator, which is an actual Roman political position. He was also Augustus’ great uncle and adoptive father.

3) Priapus is a fertility god and has a gigantic schlong. Check out this painting of him from Pompeii.



Yes, he is weighing his trouser snake python. Braggart.

I really enjoyed all your answers to this one. :)

4) It’s a man, baby!



5) It’s another man, baby!


This is Pothos, one of Aphrodite’s Erotes. He’s the god of sexual longing and desire.

So, who won? That would be TFH, of course! TFH, email me your snail mail address and I’ll get the postcard and Popener out to you next week. Thanks for participating, everyone. Since postcards and Popeners are rather inexpensive and my funding is holding out well, I can easily afford to hold a few more contests over the remaining two months I’ll be in Rome. More chances for you to receive some Italian junk mail and answer silly questions. What could be better than that?

Have a great weekend, everyone. Good luck to all those racing! I’ll be thinking happy thoughts for all of you this weekend and looking forward to some more great race reports next week.

Take care all.

16 comments:

Marcy said...

Oooohhh I guess HBO has some of their facts correct (because really, do you think my dumb butt learned anything in school) The only reason why I knew the order of those homies was because of the show "Rome" HAHAHHAHAHAA (which was a killer show BTW. So so sad they axed it *sniff*)

ROFLMAO I thought that was a contraption to hold up his peen.

Brooke said...

Oh don't worry. I've been having the war against toll house this week. I will never buy the tub of dough again....ugh, I've had 6 or more cookies everyday this week!

joyRuN said...

Thanks for the quite disturbing portrait of Priapus.

Have a good weekend!

Mel said...

I know I didn't weigh in with any answers but that was a great quiz! Can't wait to see what comes next.
I have not been doing too hot this first week of Viv's challenge so don't feel bad about the BK.

Roisin said...

Damn! I didn't have time to catch up until today...I may or may not have come close to winning that little quiz of yours, and as a practising Roman Catholic/Drinker, I really could have used that Popener.

Next time!

tfh said...

Beyond dancing a little-- make that A LOT-- in my cubicle to celebrate my win, tears of laughter are actually streaming down my face, thanks to that picture of Priapus and your commentary.

Anyway, thank you, thank you, this is very gratifying. All my hard work reading your blog has finally paid off. I emailed you!

Run For Life said...

That's hilarious! I'm glad I didn't put any guesses because I would have only gotten two right, lol.

I'm with you on the not doing so great on Viv's challenge this week.

Meg said...

Holy crap that thing should be banned from the internet.

Ted said...

Burger King in Italy ?? How was the Whopper? I am not referring to Priapus thing.

Dang it.. I didnt win this time. When's the next contest?

The Laminator said...

Damn, I was 80%. Just didn't get the Roman emperor question...which was so really really hard.

Maybe I should go to the Met this weekend and brush up on my art history if I want to have a chance at any future contest of yours.

Vava said...

Very educational indeed! I feel so inadequate... Is there anything in antiquity that actually tells us what "it" weighed? Do I want to know?

Ms. V. said...

You had me at Burger King. Once in a while it's cool.

You have my blessing. I'm not Catholic or anything like that, though...

Tyger Lily said...

Don't know if I have ever commented but I love your blog!

I am with ya on Viv's challenge. Getting ready to send my weigh in! BAH!!

Frayed Laces said...

Burger King? You disgust me. We can no longer be blog-amis.

J/K. I hate all fast food with a passion, but we all have food crimes.

Stephen said...

I noticed your question on FrayedLaces blog:
"Thanks for the fueling info. The problem is I currently don't have access to fancy specialty stuff. Could you perhaps recommend more regular food items I can get at the grocery store that I can chow down on during an LSD? So far I've tried gummy bears and cereal bars. Both are fine, but I was wondering if there's anything better."

One thing that worked well for me has been Fig Newtons (don't know if they have something like that over there) but they go down real easy for me. They are one of my main foods when training for long triathlons. Also, bagel and peanut butter as a pre-run snack works well for me. I've heard some people really like smarties (US version, the rolls of sugar candy).

Good luck finding something that works well for you.

Viper said...

This thing was rigged!