Wednesday, 1 October 2008

Fashionista, I am not

In the comments of Monday’s post, Meg asked how long I was staying in England. Well, right now I’m sitting in Terminal 5 of Heathrow airport waiting for my ever delayed flight back to Rome. Yeah, it was a super quick trip.

I had planned to get in a run this morning before doing some last minute errands and then hopping on the bus for the airport. That didn’t happen. Instead I stayed up later than I wanted to last night doing laundry, packing, cleaning my place and talking to my sister on the phone. Thankfully, my flatmates and I have some crazy ass deal for phone, internet and cable so we get most international calls (including all those to the states) for free. Considering I live with two other North Americans, we’re definitely getting our money’s worth.

So, no run today, but I will be getting in a run tomorrow barring natural disaster. Make sure you keep me to that promise. I don’t want to fall behind with my running. It’s the only thing that’s helping me cling to sanity at the moment.

Since I have nothing useful to say on the running front, I’ll talk about something else. How about clothes? (I can already hear the groans from the male readership. Suck it up, guys.) When I was in the midwest this summer, I went on a bit of a shopping spree led by my sister, who doubles as my personal stylist. Over this past year I’ve managed to drop a bit of weight, enough to necessitate a new wardrobe. Yay me.

Anyway, most of the clothes I purchased I would never have thought of trying on if it hadn’t been for Z. The shirt I am wearing today is one of her picks. It’s a deep purple three-quarter length sleeve shirt with a circular cut-out in the neckline. I like all of those details. What I’m not quite sure about is that beneath the cut-out and right between my boobs the material is slightly gathered and falls straight down from there. I know that’s a poor description, so I’ll say it in plainer terms.

It looks like I’m wearing a maternity shirt.

I keep expecting some woman to walk up to me, pat my stomach and ask me when the baby’s due. At which point I would punch her in the pie-hole and subsequently be arrested by airport police for assault. In America, I think my actions would be considered justifiable, but I’m still unsure about the international legal ramifications. If anyone knows, please inform me in the comments.

The shirt is super comfortable though, so I’ll keep wearing it until the above-mentioned incident, or something similar, occurs. I’m rather oblivious to current fashion trends, so this shirt style is probably all the rage now, but I wouldn’t know it because my face is stuck in books or looking at decaying buildings most of the time. Eh, I’m okay with the trade-off.

This summer’s shopping trip was focused solely on dressing me appropriately (i.e. non hobo-like) for Rome for two reasons: (1) I don’t have money enough for an entire wardrobe revamp, and (2) I want to lose some more weight.

Weight loss-wise, I’ve hit a bit of a plateau. A three month plateau. Thankfully I’ve not regained any weight but neither am I losing it and trust me, there’s still plenty that needs to be lost. I made a promise to myself to be at a certain weight by the time my birthday rolls around at the end of next month. I’m currently 15 pounds away from that mark. Z thinks it’s achievable, but I’m a bit skeptical. As long as I lose some weight before then, I’ll be happy. I have yet to give a name to this personal weight loss challenge. Operation Dumbo Drop came to mind but was quickly discarded because I don’t hate myself that much. If you can think of something funny, possibly even Italian related, I’d love to hear it. It would be great if it were motivating. I need all the help I can get.

UPDATE: The travel day from hell is finally over. First, the British Airways flight was delayed by an hour and a half which was cutting it really close for me making it to dinner at the Nerditorium tonight. Then that hope got totally shot to hell when we were told that half the luggage was never loaded onto the plane and therefore did not arrive with us. Dickheads! We wait around an extra hour and a half at the gate and you can’t be bothered to pull your collective thumbs out of your collective asses to do your jobs! WTF?! My dissertation is in that suitcase. I asked when they’ll deliver it to me and they said hopefully tomorrow, but they don’t know for sure. Rome is going to burn (again) if I don’t have it in my hands within 24 hours.

And to top it off, after waiting in a freaking hour long queue to register my lost bag, I was just about to board the next train to Termini station when the damn doors shut in my face and the train left without me. I had to wait another 30 minutes for the next one.

This day is not helping my stress levels. Grrr....

16 comments:

ELLEN said...

I will fly over there and beat the living crap out of BA if they return your bag. You know how violent I can get. As for the clothes, I spent the bulk of my weekend wearing my Mets T-shirt hoping to inspire karma to reward my boys with a playoff berth. I went to the street fair with Paulina (she says hello!) in Queens and some dude was like "the Mets are gonna choke! They suck!" Of course this man was a wearing a Yankee hat. I was going to punch him, but I was too busy eating my corn on the cob while balancing my bubble tea. I accidentally smeared melted butter on my shirt during the game, and oh yeah, then the Mets lost. Yeah, Buddha hates me.

ELLEN said...

Meant to say if BA DOESN'T return your bag. Whoops

Marci said...

Getting a new wardrobe when you lose weight is the best! I also have a few of those "baby-doll" type shirts and wonder if I look preggo in them or not, but they are comfy and in style, so that enough for me!

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO! I *heart* those kinds of tops. It makes it so that I don't have to constantly suck in my gut. I should probably get a girdle, huh?

Oy, oy, oy. I hope you get your bag back ASAP. Sounds like a damn nightmare. GAH!

Roisin said...

Oh the joys of travel. I've never flown British Airways, and now I'm not inclined to ever!

Merry said...

I think it's permissible to beat the living crap out of BA in either case for putting you through this. Did you fly out of that new terminal that had all those problems when it opened?

p.s. I think a preggers top should at least get you preferential seating if the train is crowded :)

Xenia said...

Ellen--It's always nice to be reminded that you have my back. And Buddha doesn't hate you, he just hates the Mets. :) Say hello back to Paulina for me!

Merry--It was indeed the infamous new Terminal 5. Another resident at the Nerditorium flew in with BA yesterday and also did not receive her baggage. Fun times.

The Laminator said...

You lost me after the word 'clothes'...

Viv said...

Rome is going to burn again...ah girl HAHAHA! You will get your bag, let's thinkg positive thoughts.

On the clothes YAA, for getting new clothes because the others were too big! I know what you mean though lately it seems like a lot of these tops and dress are cut maternity looking. It looks great if you are a size 2 but the I walk around waiting for someone to ask how far along I am?!?

Ted said...

*groaning* What was it again you were referring to your fashion thing ?

Sorry to hear about the baggage mishap with the BA (Big A$$h--le)!

Theresa said...

I've decided that when it comes to the traveling part of travel, that it's probably easier to list the few non-annoying things that go right than then many, many sucky, annoying, things that can and do go happen.

Any day now, they can come up with those teleporting machines.

Theresa said...

Oh, and as far as those types of tops. I refuse to buy them for that very reason. I don't give a crap if something's fashionable, if it doesn't flatter my figure. :p

Frayed Laces said...

Congrats on your weight loss! And yay for new clothes. But what is up with these damn maternity shirts? It is SO HARD for me to find "cute" girly tops now for going out. I have broad shoulders and hips, but a narrow waist, and this hip style just aint cutting it! Grrrr...

tfh said...

Been there, done that re: when are you due? Surprisingly, the question isn't as upsetting as, say, having an airline lose one's luggage. You can't convince yourself an airline screwed up because your complexion is so glowing and your breasts are engorged, after all. (Or maybe you can? Yeah, I think that must have been what happened. Were the people handling the baggage Italian men?)

Meg said...

Quick trip!
Haha, my cousin calls those "buffet shirts" because you can get super full and you won't be able to tell. Great for holidays. :) I have one that is super comfy. Congrats on the weight loss so far! Sometimes I hear lifting weights can get you through a plateau. Is there any way you can incorporate some or weights or look up some natural resistance exercises (using your body weight) if you can't get to a gym in Rome?

Running Knitter said...

Hope they find your bag soon!