- My hips felt tight as of mile 1.5.
- Forced to prairie dog it for six miles until I could find a toilet. (You were just dying to know this, weren’t you?)
- Twits kept stopping me to ask for directions.
- My sunglasses are worthless and made me almost completely blind when the sun shined directly on me. Not good for foot placement on crappy, uneven pavement.
- Dropped one of my gummy bears on the street. In my head, I thought, “Gummy bear is down. Repeat, gummy bear is down!” Sad it will not get to experience the journey that is my g.i. tract and have the chance to rocket out my pooper like his buddies. R.I.P., little guy.
- My knees felt the need to remind me why running on stone paving is not to their liking.
- The inside of my left foot ached on and off throughout the run.
- Two bathroom stops again. I have the bladder of a senior citizen. :(
- Unbelievable amounts of bird poop along the river for the last 2.5 miles. There was so much of it, I could taste it. It was disgusting. I’m sure I’ve contracted something horrible from it too. F*cking pigeons.
- The damn run took me 4:10:15 to complete. That’s an average pace of 12:31. F*cking ex-boyfriend WILL NOT leave me alone.
- F*cking hill I had to climb and then descend after my run to get home.
- F*cking stairs in the Nerditorium. Why did they have to put me on the fourth floor?
- Post-run headache to end all headaches. This happened after my last 20-miler too. What am I doing wrong?
In the last post, a lot of you assumed that this was my last long run. Well, it’s not. According to my Smart Coach schedule, I have another 20 miler next weekend (my third one. god help me), then an 8-miler the weekend after and then the race. Is this all right, do you think? I’ve taken a look at other marathon training plans and they all seem to start tapering three weeks rather than two weeks ahead of race day. Should I follow the flock and do the same or stick to my two-week taper?
This week is going to be a busy one for me, so I won’t be around much. I’ll try to post again by Friday, but no promises. Try not to feel too neglected. Things should be back to normal (whatever that is) by next week.
To entertain you while I’m otherwise engaged, here’s some fun stuff for you to watch/stare at.
This video is a highlights reel of Ironman Kona 2008. I have no desire to pursue triathlons, mostly because I can’t swim my way out of a paper bag (what?), but I have a lot of admiration for those who do. Watching this video is really motivating and also puts my training into perspective. Hell, if these people can survive swimming, biking and running for the better part of a day, I sure as hell can run a measly marathon. I found this video on Paul’s blog. Paul completed this year’s Ironman and lived to tell the tale. A much belated congrats to you, Paul. And thanks for not minding (I hope) that I hijacked the video for my own post.
And for the ladies, here’s a photo from a forward one of my cousins emailed me. I’m not overly fond of the amount of forwards I get every day from people, but I didn’t mind one bit about getting this in my inbox (not a euphemism). Enjoy.
Okay, folks, that’s it for me. Have a great week. I’ll catch up with you all when I can.