Monday, 10 November 2008

Give me a break or at least a Kit Kat bar

Why my 20-miler on Sunday sucked patootie:
  • My hips felt tight as of mile 1.5.
  • Forced to prairie dog it for six miles until I could find a toilet. (You were just dying to know this, weren’t you?)
  • Twits kept stopping me to ask for directions.
  • My sunglasses are worthless and made me almost completely blind when the sun shined directly on me. Not good for foot placement on crappy, uneven pavement.
  • Dropped one of my gummy bears on the street. In my head, I thought, “Gummy bear is down. Repeat, gummy bear is down!” Sad it will not get to experience the journey that is my g.i. tract and have the chance to rocket out my pooper like his buddies. R.I.P., little guy.
  • My knees felt the need to remind me why running on stone paving is not to their liking.
  • The inside of my left foot ached on and off throughout the run.
  • Two bathroom stops again. I have the bladder of a senior citizen. :(
  • Unbelievable amounts of bird poop along the river for the last 2.5 miles. There was so much of it, I could taste it. It was disgusting. I’m sure I’ve contracted something horrible from it too. F*cking pigeons.
  • The damn run took me 4:10:15 to complete. That’s an average pace of 12:31. F*cking ex-boyfriend WILL NOT leave me alone.
  • F*cking hill I had to climb and then descend after my run to get home.
  • F*cking stairs in the Nerditorium. Why did they have to put me on the fourth floor?
  • Post-run headache to end all headaches. This happened after my last 20-miler too. What am I doing wrong?
Having gotten all of that out of my system, I can admit that the suckage was all my fault. If I hadn’t skipped out on the 16-miler last weekend, this one probably wouldn’t have hit me so hard. That’ll teach me.

In the last post, a lot of you assumed that this was my last long run. Well, it’s not. According to my Smart Coach schedule, I have another 20 miler next weekend (my third one. god help me), then an 8-miler the weekend after and then the race. Is this all right, do you think? I’ve taken a look at other marathon training plans and they all seem to start tapering three weeks rather than two weeks ahead of race day. Should I follow the flock and do the same or stick to my two-week taper?

This week is going to be a busy one for me, so I won’t be around much. I’ll try to post again by Friday, but no promises. Try not to feel too neglected. Things should be back to normal (whatever that is) by next week.

To entertain you while I’m otherwise engaged, here’s some fun stuff for you to watch/stare at.



This video is a highlights reel of Ironman Kona 2008. I have no desire to pursue triathlons, mostly because I can’t swim my way out of a paper bag (what?), but I have a lot of admiration for those who do. Watching this video is really motivating and also puts my training into perspective. Hell, if these people can survive swimming, biking and running for the better part of a day, I sure as hell can run a measly marathon. I found this video on Paul’s blog. Paul completed this year’s Ironman and lived to tell the tale. A much belated congrats to you, Paul. And thanks for not minding (I hope) that I hijacked the video for my own post.

And for the ladies, here’s a photo from a forward one of my cousins emailed me. I’m not overly fond of the amount of forwards I get every day from people, but I didn’t mind one bit about getting this in my inbox (not a euphemism). Enjoy.

Who’s gotta quarter I can borrow?

Okay, folks, that’s it for me. Have a great week. I’ll catch up with you all when I can.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your time off!


Lily

Kristina said...

Don't feel bad. Just being out there for 4 hours is like training gold--now you're used to that amount of time on your feet, and the race will certainly be faster for you.
I was supposed to do a 2-week taper, but I was hurting after my last 20, so I went to a 3-wk taper. If you feel good next weekend, you could do the 20 and 2 weeks to recover would be okay, but if you start to feel pain, stop so you don't injure yourself that close to the race. And there, my dear, is my long-winded 2 cents.

Marcy said...

OMG THAT'S WHAT IT'S CALLED?!? "Prairie Dog" LMAO! I had no idea! I learn something new everyday.

As far as the headache goes . . .are you getting enough fluids? Both during and after your run?

2 week taper, I used as well (20 miler, 10 miler, then race). I was fine but like Kristina said if you feel the hurt then ax it. "Only" doing 2 -20 milers is enough if need be LOL ;-)

joyRuN said...

LOL! I'd called it "Turtle", but I like "Prairie Dog" better.

Your training plan is making mine sound wussy. So to make myself feel better, may I suggest only 2 20-milers & going for the 3-week taper?

I get headaches after long runs too. Apparently a "exercise-induced tension headache". Prolly cuz I scrunch my shoulders & neck up around my ears while I run. Supposedly, you can avoid it by shaking out your arms & shoulders regularly during a run.

Brooke said...

OMG LMAO about the gummy bears! And the prairie dog! I obsess over the location of bathrooms during runs/races...great job on your SECOND 20 miler!! My schedule only calls for 1, but now I'm thinking of 2. I would see how you feel; if you try it and want to quit you can knowing many other programs wouldn't have had it scheduled anyway. It's a win win. Good luck!

The Laminator said...

Xenia...loved your post today.
My two cents though is that you really don't need to do back-to-back twenty milers...i think that's a bit excessive for your first marathon. And you're right, most programs do suggest a three week taper...what I'd suggest is maybe a 16...12...and then 8...you also don't want to get injured heading into it...

Anyway, that's my two cents. Good luck with the rest of your training.

RazZDoodle said...

A post about poo and the title has Kit Kat bar in it. Coincidence? Hmmm.....

I'd stop running if I were you. It sounds like you're hurt. Better yet, don't run again until I finish *my* marathon. By then, you'll be good to go. :)

Merry said...

"Gummy bear is done. I repeat, Gummy Bear..." Snicker

Melanie said...

I always taper for at least 3 weeks... this time around I'm tapering for 4. I think you just have to listen to your body. If you're feeling aches and worn out, I'd skip the 20 miler and do 3 weeks of taper. If you feel great, then go for it!

Roisin said...

Is that the Italian rugby team again? I really want that coffee table book!

Anywho, sucky runs happen, but since you've got another one on the schedule, don't worry about it! I would stick with your schedule the way it is. Personally, I would rather have a slightly-shorter taper than a long one without knowing that I can complete 20 miles or so in decent fashion.

Viv said...

Girl, I can imagine all kind of shit that will go down on a 20 miler it is a long time to be running..um no pun intended on the shit. LOL! I had the same issue on my run this weekend which was so short compared to yours, anywhoo got to the STBX bathroom and nada. i was like oh you better make an appereance now before I come get you. OK I will stop. I will miss ya this weeke but get your mind right take some time to rest and prepare. Ol' boyfriends are bastards but we always feel comfortable getting nekkid with them.

Viv said...

Bat crazy, viv again...Bothe the video and pic did it for me, hehehe!

Viper said...

Trust your plan. (Though Laminator is a much better person to listen to than I am.)

Prairie dog? Hmm, we always called it a turtle head, but to each her own.

tfh said...

3 20-milers before your first marathon? Eff SmartCoach, looks like I have to find something more forgiving for my training plan. Anyway, since I'm an Expert on marathon training, I agree with Kristina-- the time doesn't matter on your long runs, just getting yourself used to being on your feet is important. Nice job and sorry about your gummy bear loss. Depending on what mile I was on, I might just have employed the 2 second rule...

Count of Monte Christo said...

D*mn, I run into that animal during longer runs more and more often :-D.

Thank you for a very good post.

Ellen said...

You really need to put a warning anytime you have photos of naked men like this on your blog. I'm at work and god help me if O'Reilly comes walking by.

I fell yesterday on pavement, on both knees, slammed to the ground after tripping over air. In Chinatown. And now I can't go running at the gym because my knees really hurt whenever I walk up and down the stairs. This is why you need to take care of me when I'm old(er).

MCM Mama said...

Thanks for the eye candy. :o)

I did a three week taper before my marathon and that really worked for me. I had done 3 20 milers and it worked out that they were three weeks apart each, so I knew my that amount of rest worked for my body.

theloosemoose said...

I'm just thankful that none of the hot men in the photograph had a prairie dog situation occurring...'cause that would have diminished some of my enjoyment. ;)

Good luck with your training!

Jamie said...

Oh the praire dog/turtle...no good.

Bad runs happen and at least you learned some stuff?!? Anyways, I too did a 2 week taper but I think I did an 18 miler instead of 20 3 weeks prior.

X-Country2 said...

Thanks for the picture!

Sorry about the gummybears. Honestly (assuming they weren't laying IN the bird poop), I probably would have still eaten them. :o)

chia said...

I vote 16 miler for next weekend. Part of your slowness could very well mean you're friggin tired... 16 should be more than enough judging from all the other peep's schedules.

LOL at Gummy Bear DOWN!

Meg said...

Oh goodness that is one vocab word I did not need to know! Nice job getting the 20 miles in. Some rest is probably good for you and your pace will probably come back up!

Marci said...

I'm really not sure what I enjoyed more, the video or the naked men.

Nitmos said...

I thought prairie dogging was popping your head up over the cube farm walls and then disppearing again. But, hey, the image works! Happy prairie dogging.

The Running Knitter said...

Doing three 20 milers sounds like a little too much, but I've never trained for a full so I really wouldn't know. I'm thinking you should start the taper at 3 weeks... :)

Frayed Laces said...

That is the eye candy to end all eye candies. YUM.