Monday, 24 November 2008

On your mark...

I do believe I have officially quit my bitching. At least for today.

The groin is fine. By early yesterday evening the pain was gone and I was left feeling rather stupid about my overreaction. Ah well, can you blame me? Do me a favor and don’t answer that.

Anyhoo, things were so peachy with me today that I ended up getting my last long run, a short 8 miles, in this morning. Just in case, I opted to run in the nearby park rather than along the river. I had no pain. Nothing. Nada. In fact, I felt pretty good. *knock on wood*

There’s only one part of my body that has yet to fully recover. The left side of my hooha hasn’t known what’s hit it in the last twenty four hours with the frenzy of ice packs and muscle ointment. I’m hoping it’ll forgive me soon. With my luck though it won’t be until after the marathon.

Two more runs this week and then it’s game time. I’m trying to focus on my work but lately that’s been impossible. The excitement has set in and all I feel compelled to do is visit the race website to look at the course map, elevation chart and whatever photos they have posted.

Speaking of photos... Marcy, in response to your question, I don’t think I’ll be carrying my camera with me during the marathon. I’d love to since I’ve heard the views of the city during the first two miles are pretty spectacular, but I can’t chance losing or breaking my camera. I still have some research-related site visits post-marathon (if I ever get a response from the freaking Italian officials) and I can’t risk it. However, my sister, Camera Queen that she is, will be there, snapping photos and taking video like a maniac. I’m sure she’ll have plenty of stuff not featuring me that I can post after the race. Hope that’s consolation enough.

Okay, kiddies, I’m off to obsess about the race get some work done. Have a great week (a short one for my fellow Americans). Catch up with you later.

16 comments:

joyRuN said...

Glad you're feeling better! I dunno about you, but I had trouble focusing on anything right before the race. So no worries, girl - the madness is fun!!

Marcy said...

OK Phhheewww! I just e-mailed you :P So ignore it HAHA

Anyway, DON'T feel bad at all! I had weird phantom hip pain during taper, so you're not the only one :-)

I'm glad that your sister is going to play paparazzi. Whoot! I debated bringing the camera myself but it was either . . take the camera or take the toilet paper (didn't have room for both) and I didn't think that whipping my butt with my camera would be so hot :P (And of course the one time I actually bring TP I do not need it *sigh*)

Mark said...

Nice to see you are doing better! Enjoy your week!

Merry said...

I figure it's normal to worry -- this is the first time you've done this :)

Crabby McSlacker said...

Hope it's a great race and that the groin issues are gone for good!

And, um a "short" 8 mile run? Wish that were a "short" run for me!

The Laminator said...

Great to hear everything is back in order. Don't apologize for the obsession. It's part of the fun of running a marathon, especially your first. Truthfully, I sometimes wish I could go back and experience it all over again!

You're so ready for this! Rock on, Xenia!

Merry said...

p.s. Hello Xenia!

Nitmos said...

Awesome. Cue Europe and their cheesy arena anthem song The Final Coundown because you are counting down.

And you're welcome for the song in your head now.

Viper said...

Ah, race week. Forget all that piddly other junk you call life and obsess away. You deserve it.

P.S., Thank you for the Popener and postcard. The package arrived Friday. I am now blind in my left eye and incontinent. Cheers!

tfh said...

Reading those posts in reverse chronological order, which I did today, felt much warmer and fuzzier than I imagine reading them as they were written (or, worse, experiencing them) would have been. I will be putting my new Popener to good use this weekend and (internally, because otherwise my family is going to think I'm kind of nuts, not totally Getting the Blog Thing) toasting you and a trouble-free groin multiple times.

P.O.M. said...

Sorry if this is a dup. Having blogger issues.

6 days and 11 hours!!! Glad your pain has gone away. You will do great and I can't wait to hear about it.

Viv said...

WTF I was all about what is going on with the groin then there was peas by you you know what and next thing it was all is good. Girl, you trying to take me through some kind of roller coaster ride.



Relax, step away from the peas....

Ted said...

I cannot believe Florence Marathon is coming around the corner. Like you, I tend to be a hypochondriac just a few days before a marathon start. If I feel something, I make a big deal about it and do overreacted.

I am glad you are feeling good. Enjoy your tapering week and cannot wait to read your post leading to your first marathon.

*aron* said...

i am new to your blog and am very excited i came over when i did!!! 6 days until marathon #1!!! SOOO exciting :) soak it all up and i can't wait to read how it goes. i just ran my first one in august and there is nothing like it :)

BCB said...

Okay, I am not a runner. So I had to look it up. Wikipedia says a marathon is 42.195 km. Which is 42,195 meters. I needed to know this for comparison purposes. Because last week my daughter climbed to an altitude of 4200 meters on the highest mountain outside of Asia: Aconcagua. It's in Argentina. So she traveled aprx one tenth the distance of a marathon.

Considering that distance travelled in altitude counts as ten times more difficult than distance traveled in latitude or longitude -- one must allow for gravity if one can not achieve levity -- I figure they're pretty much equivalent accomplishments.

No, I am not a mathematician either, why do you ask?

The point being: if she can do that (with no training and no tapering, I might add, and her only reward being some awesome pics and half a peanut butter sandwich), you can do this. They have PB over there? It's quite difficult to obtain in some parts of Argentina.

Anyway. Yes, that is my version of a pep talk. Any more whining, I'll have to come over and do it again. How's that for incentive?

BTW, in doing my research, I couldn't help but notice that the first marathoner arrived at his destination and said:

Nenik├ękamen, 'We have won.'

And then died.

Ahem. Greek heritage be damned, woman. Don't do that.

BCB said...

Oh, and did you know the US Marines have their own marathon? You should run in that one next. I'll come watch. Really.