Wednesday, 5 November 2008

Post-election stupor

Oy. I stayed up too late reading election news and then got up early this morning to see the results and have an IM chat with Ellen before she finally crashed. She had to stay up and cover the election for work. You rock, El! Enjoy your much deserved snooze, buddy.

So basically I haven’t been running. Since I don’t have much to say.......it’s QUIZ TIME again! I bet you’re all excited yet frightened by what’s ahead, aren’t you? I would be if I were you.

Okay, the rules: first one with the most correct answers wins a postcard and a Popener. If my questions suck (as they tend to do) then I’ll use the random number generator again to choose a winner. I know some of you don’t like the second option seeing as you put a lot of time into your answers and comments and then I basically throw all that in the toilet when I randomly choose a winner. Well, tough cookies. Just think of this like the election—a potentially random choice as the result of a broken system. (Editor's note: Sorry, I’m just a wee bit tired of having to explain the electoral college ad nauseum to non-US people. Though I’m sure having to explain it to Americans is just as bad.)

Having now berated you, I actually will follow my own rules this time and go with the person with the most correct answers. Unless one of you convinces me otherwise. :)

All right, let’s get to it!

1) There’s an ancient pyramid in Rome. Here’s a picture of it.



What was the pyramid used for? (Hint: It’s the same as for the ones in Egypt.)

2) There was a second century AD Greek physician who wrote a treatise on gynecology. What was his name?
(a) Aristotle
(b) Soranus
(c) Zorba
(d) Dr. Spock

3) Check out this sculpture.



What does it depict?
(a) a satyr and a nymph
(b) a Republican and a Democrat
(c) a priest and a nun
(d) Mrs. Nitmos trying to get away from Nitmos’ post-race spooning.
(Hint: The answer is A no matter how much we all think it should be otherwise.)

4) In the film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indy goes to his office and is swamped by his students. His harried secretary tells him he has a stack of papers to grade. What is the secretary’s name?

5) Which actor played Zeus in the film Clash of the Titans?
(a) Burgess Meredith
(b) Harry Hamlin
(c) Laurence Olivier
(d) Brian Blessed

6) Why did the movie Troy suck balls?
(a) They omitted the Gods from the story.
(b) Brad Pitt can’t maintain a consistent accent throughout the entire film. (To be fair, an ancient Greek wouldn’t have had an English accent anyway.)
(c) They glossed over the fact Achilles had a homosexual relationship with his buddy Patroclus by making the latter his young cousin in the film.
(d) Not enough screen time was devoted to a shirtless Hector (played by the wonderful Eric Bana)
(e) All of the above and then some.
(Hint: The answer to this question is E. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot and choose something else if you don’t agree with my assessment. Feel free to include your own film commentary in the comments if it makes you feel better.)

Okay, type your answers in the comments of this post before 5 pm EST on Thursday, November 6. I’ll announce the winner on Friday.

Have fun, kiddies.

12 comments:

Brooke said...

Yay! First! My answers are:
1) as a tomb
2) B
3) A
4) Irene
5) Lawrence Olivier
6) E

joyRuN said...

Oh oh oh - I'm a dorky dork who LOVES your quizzes :) Dunno why. I never know the answers.

1 - Eeww there's a dead body in there too?
2 - Dunno. I'm going with the name that would make sense with the whole down there - Soranus (tell me you made that name up)!
3 - Oh okay I can take the freebie. It REALLY looks like D though.
4 - Hub would know. Didn't watch it. There's gotta be a "Mary" in there though. No?
5 - C. The only other name I recognize in there besides Harry Hamlin.
6 - Thanks for the freebie. I clearly don't watch enough movies.

Marcy said...

Damn it! Am I EVER going to get to your blog early enough to win LOL. Joy took my answers. That SOB! (I'm kidding!)

On a sidenote, that sculpture looks way kinky. I need one for my house :P

Xenia said...

Marcy--I posted later than I usually do to give more of you a fighting chance. Let me know what a good time is for you and I'll see what I can do. :)

Merry said...

I'll just need to watch your blog very, very closely. You're sneaky ;)

Jenn said...

I love your quizzes, but I may never win. I can't ever seem to be the first to comment. LOL. Oh well, I will just marinate in the knowledge that I could have won. That will work for now!

(Although I am dying to get my hands on a Popener!)

By the way, How are you doing on my little challenge?

It looks like I won't be sending the prize to myself this time, which sucks because I totally picked stuff that I wanted! (again I am just kidding)

Have a great one!

Jenn

Viper said...

1) it's totally a fort, only not made from the cushions of the couch
2) Hello, everybody knows it's Zorba THE GREEK ... more like geek.
3) trick question
4) Ms. Teschmacher
5) a ... he was also the Penguin
6) I don't know; never saw it because it looked like it would suck balls.

Come on, Popener!

tfh said...

Because I've already won and achieved fame and glory, I'll merely take the opportunity here to say I'm naming my first-born Soranus (c'mon, everybody, this is one of those things that even Xenia couldn't have made up), I categorically will not watch movies in which actors speak in an accent because they're supposed to be speaking in another language, and I love New Hampshire too, although my favorite part is all the charming we-have-no-sales-tax liquor/cigarette outlets on the Massachusetts border.

Viv said...

Great now I wish I would have stayed in college. This is over my head especially that I am all still oogling over the statue picture..hehehe!

chia said...

Tomorrow's my b-day. Only test I need to pass is a breathalizer ;-)

Steve Stenzel said...

HA!

3: D. I think.

I love it!!

P.O.M. said...

I didn't even waste my time to see Troy for all of the above. But it would be nice to see some E.B. shirtless.