Friday, 21 November 2008

Random Friday drivel

Get ready for the random brain farts that have been my thoughts for the past few days.

Yesterday I violated one of my own long held rules. I watched a Christmas movie before December. I know, it’s sick. I’m sorry. In my defense, it was National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and I was doing work while it was playing. Forgive me.

I came across this postcard when I was in Siena last week.

It reminded me a lot of the comments people have been making recently about post-marathon slumpage in running mileage. Runners beware. ;)

For the last couple of weeks, I’ve been running mostly in the afternoons, because it’s warmer then. It appears all my years of acclimation to cold weather during my childhood in New England have gone straight to hell in a hand basket. I’m such a baby now when it comes to cold temperatures. I’m going to freeze my nerdy ass off when I’m back in NH next month for the holidays. Merda.

I have the best sister in the world. Z is missing out on Thanksgiving next week in order to fly to Rome. She leaves Thursday afternoon but won’t arrive in Rome until Friday morning. I owe her big time, especially since I will get the chance to celebrate Thanksgiving. For the first time in four years, I should add. I’ve been invited to dine at the American Nerditorium on Thursday. [Editor’s note: I’m staying at the British Nerditorium, hence no holiday fare here.] Good news: pumpkin pie, baby! Bad news is three-fold: (1) I’m going to be forced to talk shop on a holiday, (2) no family there, just a couple of friends and about a hundred strangers, and (3) I can’t overindulge because I don’t want to shoot my digestive system to hell three days before the marathon. Don’t worry though, the presence of pumpkin pie trumps everything.

Above my desk in my room, I have a homemade calendar on which I’ve been counting down the days to the marathon. [Editor’s note: 9 days!!!] One of the Nerditorium inmates residents commented that it looked like I was counting down the days I’ve been in prison. Seeing as all of us here at the Nerditorium have remarked at one point or another about how institutionalized we’ve become, it’s not too far off the mark.

Last night, I had dinner with friends across town. Afterwards, I had to walk a bit to get to the nearest bus stop. When I was about two blocks away, I saw my bus turning the corner and head towards my stop. The next bus could take up to 40 minutes and I didn’t want to wait that long so I ran full out, covering the distance including crossing four lanes of traffic, and made it to the bus before the doors closed. All without being winded. I couldn’t have done that a year ago. Thank you for reminding me how far I’ve come in such a short period of time, Merry. I had a smile on my face the rest of the way home.

All right, all right. I know the only reason most of you visited my blog today was to see who won the quiz. Well, here you go, you greedy bastards.

Answers to Wednesday’s quiz:
1) The little guys on Fraggle Rock were called Doozers. Sorry for the confusion, JoyRun!
2) B. Jem is apparently truly outrageous, though, according to the lyrics, her music is considered contagious. I think they misspoke and were actually referring to her nether regions though.
3) The blue dude in the ThunderCats was Panthro.
4) Morgan Freeman was on The Electric Company. To be honest, I didn’t realize this until a few years ago. I’m a bit slow obviously.
5) The Smurf villian was Gargamel and his cat was called Azrael.

The first commenter with all the correct answers was Turi. Yay Turi! The second winner for this quiz chosen by the random number generator was commenter #13.

That was Karen. Yay Karen! Both of you need to email me your snail mail addresses and I’ll send those Popeners out to you next week.

Concerning the quizzes, I still owe Viv a pop culture quiz (probably one relevant to this decade) and TheLooseMoose would like another one on Rome. Anyone else have any quiz requests that I may choose to ignore? There will probably only be three more quizzes before I leave Rome next month. [Editor’s note: So soon. *sniff*]

One more quiz-related note. Usually, I feel like I’m the one in the blogosphere who wears the TMI crown. However, Vanilla’s comment on Wednesday’s post has officially usurped my royal position.
“Interesting sidenote, when I have to take a dump I often announce that I'm going to take a Doozer.”
Well done, sir. Oh, and *gag*. [Editor's note: Scratch that. There is nothing Vanilla or I have said that could trump the TMI machine that is Mr. Glaven Q. Heisenberg. Sweet lord, man, you have no shame.]

Good luck to Ted, JoyRun and Marci who are running the Philly marathon on Sunday and anyone else I forgot who is also racing this weekend. I look forward to reading your triumphant race reports next week.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

15 comments:

joyRuN said...

I nominate Glaven for third in line to TMI crown. This post & the following comments were quite enlightening.

Your sister sounds awesome - have a great great Thanksgiving (or day after) with her!

PS - Pumpkin pie counts for that carb-loading thing, no?

Marcy said...

I'm with Joy on the TMI crown. That post was just wrong yet funny at the same time.

9 days?!? Oooooooo baby! Are you going to run with your camera? (I have no idea why that question popped into my head but I thought I'd ask LOL)

Viv said...

Xenia, that is wonderful that your sister is coming to be with you. Girl, my sister gets on my nerves if you want i can send her over there too. LOL!
9 days, have I told you how excited I am for you?? No, never. I am. You are? Always...

OK change that to love and you have an Indecent Proposal movie line. You see how I will rule Pop Culture quiz..

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Hey, thanks for the shoutout but, more to the point, thanks for the picture of two naked dudes than both of whom I am better hung!!!1!1 Even without the tick! My general body type is somewhere in between the two, but I have a bigger d*ck than both of them combined. (Note: "have" not "am". Okay. "Am" wouldn't change the truth content of that sentence any ...)

Good luck at your marathon, sister! And I hear you about those NH winters! They're merda (but we pronounce it "moy-duh" her in Joisey).

Take care, sister!

Brooke said...

Hmm...I would love to say your sister is making a huge sacrifice, but hello...going to Rome and missing Thanksgiving? I'll take it! If she is sad I could come instead ;) I hope the two of you have much fun. Too bad you won't really be able to tear it up since you're being good for the marathon...can't wait to see how you do!!

Jamie said...

You're sister rocks! That's great she can make it to Rome for a visit over the holidays. And I love the line pumpkin pie trumps everything...so true in my world too!

Lily on the Road said...

That is great that your sister will be with you, okay is she going to be with you for the marathon too??? I'm sorry if I didn't read through, I'm busy here at work, I hope she will be there for moral support!

tfh said...

I wonder if they'll have pumpkin pie and turkey for your sister's in-flight meals? Well, hopefully not, because that would probably mean she's flying American, shudder.

Last year I had to travel on Christmas day and not spend it with my family. I actually enjoyed it. I even ate some Chinese food for good measure.

P.O.M. said...

National Lampoons Christmas is my fav Christmas movie.

I'm actually a bit jealous of your non-family Thanksgiving. Sad, but true.

Merry said...

Kinda glad I'm missing the family Thanksgiving this year. My dear sweet Vietnamese SIL insists on bringing the turkey, which she has prepared for her in Chinatown. :(

I don't know what kind of flavoring they use, but it's really helping me turn into a vegetarian...

X-Country2 said...

What a great sister! Sounds like you'll have a wonderful holiday.

Ted said...

I loved that movie especially with Chevy Chase !!! That is so awesome that your sista is going to be with you over the holidays.

Thanks for the Good Luck !!!

By the way, I love the Popener! Its freaking awesome!

chia said...

Last night on "girls night out" time all the girls were all on about "The times Che told me she had to poo."

Best one so far was when I thought I was on a conference call with just two friends and announced my intentions prior to leaving completely unknowing that one of the girls had their boss dial in to ask some questions of his own.

Good thing peeps have a sense of humor around here.

Anyways. 9 more days!?!?!?!?! Jeepers you must be getting the itch!!!

Marci said...

Thanks for the shout out. I hope you don't mind, but I posted that ironman video on my blog. I can't stop watching it! LOL at the postcard. I would love to send that to my MIL! (snort)

The Laminator said...

Aargghh...did I lose again? When will I ever get my Popener? Haha...

Great job running to catch your bus. I always love when you unexpectedly find ways where running helps in other areas of your life too!

9 days? Wow, that's getting close. Are you nervous yet?