Monday, 8 December 2008

Blubber Butt


Yeah, so I think I’ve officially reached critical ass. My week of post-marathon recovery and eating colossal amounts of junk food are the last straw. I’m feeling bloated and gross now and not all of it is due to lady issues. (That comment was for you, Razz.)

Since July I’ve gained eight pounds. It’s not a whole lot in the scheme of things, but I still had a good chunk of weight to lose prior to gaining those pounds. Basically, the situation isn’t pretty, literally or figuratively.

To combat the increase in poundage, I decided to pound the pavement. For the first time since the marathon, I laced up my Asics yesterday for an easy three mile run. I left the watch at home and just ran for the sake of running. It felt good.

With the holidays nearing, things are going to be crazy with travel and the like, so my life won’t return to normal (at least my version of it) until mid January when I return to England for good. So I need a plan to deal with my situation until then.

First off, I realize how sadistic and unrealistic it is to hope to lose weight over the holidays. There’s too much yummy food about and I have no will-power when it comes to denying myself delicious home-cooked meals and holiday treats like my grandma’s famed chocolate peanut butter balls. (Yes, every Christmas I eat my grandma’s balls. Try not to choke on that image. Sickos.) So the base goal is to not gain any more weight. How am I going to do this? God knows. Here’s my two-pronged plan:
  • portion control
  • get off my fat ass and move
Revolutionary, I know.

Basically, I’m going to try to use something I’ve heard called ‘self-restraint’ when it comes to consuming holiday goodies. I thought for a while that this ‘self-restraint’ was purely mythical, like a centaur or a man who doesn’t attempt to dutch oven his significant other whilst in bed, but apparently it does exist. Huh, who knew.

As for exercise, well, running is always good, except that it’ll be a bit tricky while I’m in the states since my family lives in snow country and I’ve become a complete cold-weather wuss and have never run in the snow. Thankfully, motivation has appeared via the interwebs once again. RunToFinish is hosting the Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge from December 8 to January 4. You earn points depending on how much physical activity you do during the challenge and those with the most points at the end can get their hands on some pretty sweet prizes. I may not be getting much running in between now and then, but I’ll have the impetus to pop in a cardio DVD or finally finish that godforsaken push ups challenge. (Seriously, fifth times the charm, right?)

So that’s the post-Rome plan. I’ve got one week left here in the eternal city (where the hell did the time go?!), so I need to cram in as much sightseeing, researching and running as possible before I leave next Tuesday. This doesn’t leave me much time to think up and post those two additional pop quizzes I promised, but since I already purchased four more Popeners to give away to you all, I better do it. I’ll try to get one up early tomorrow, but you’ll only have by the end of the work day tomorrow (EST) to enter, since I’ve got to post another pop quiz later this week. Them’s the breaks, people.

Okay, that’s it for me. Catch up with you all later.

21 comments:

joyRuN said...

Yeay! Two more chances for me to score my very own Popener.

I felt the same way the week of Thanksgiving. Between "recovering" and holiday fare, I felt disgusting.

MizFit said...

have a FABULOUS LAST WEEK.

you know where my ass is should your ass want any tipsthoughtsprodding when you return!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I am not disturbed by the image of your Grandma's balls. But I couldn't help wondering ... Are hers bigger than RazZ's?

And then I was disturbed that I thought this.

But you know what helps?

Comfort food.

Like your Grandma's chocolate balls ...

ZOMG!!1! I'm caught in an infinite loop!!1!

Calyx Meredith said...

Have a great last week there. I threw my coins in the Trevi fountain when I was 16 but I still haven't gotten to go back! (I just found you through Kevin - but I'll keep reading along now.)

Melanie said...

enjoy your last week there and safe travels! :)

Marcy said...

I just stepped on the scale today myself and it's not looking pretty. I can only imagine the increase once the holidays are over :-X I think I'm just going to stick to the small plate deal to survive. (Use app plates instead of regular ones) So I'm not eating as much but still eating what I want HAHA

RazZDoodle said...

I'm kinda regretting that post.

Kinda.

tfh said...

I feel like once a person has exerted all her willpower into running insanely long distances, it's unfair to ask her to then limit her food intake through willpower, as well. Ah, well. Life is unfair, as my dad loves to tell us gleefully. The point is: I think you look absolutely PERFECT and you must have to FIGHT OFF the boys, so have another peanut butter ball. (Or at least that's what MY grandma would say.)

Xenia said...

tfh--You're wonderful, but obviously blind. Thank you for the sentiment though. It's greatly appreciated.

Marci said...

Enjoy your last week, I'm doing that bootie buster challenge as well.

Merry said...

Push ups! They're not just for bras any more :)

Viv said...

Xenia I so could have written this post even the 8lbs, oh except I lacked running a marathon...I know I will get pts for the challenge being it is my job to move my fat ass but all other motivation has gone to shit.
hmmm, why do I feel the need to confess here on your blog just cause you are in Rome....

Anywhoo, the pic had me rolling. To the holiday party i wore a girdlle. I learned the only thing that hides fat is loosing it :-(

Send me some of that mojo girl, I will cover the shipping.

Viv said...

enjoy your last week in Rome, take in as many sights as you can.

Roisin said...

Everything was going fine until I read "dutch oven" and then lost it.

I'm trying to "maintain" over the holidays as well. And by "maintain", I mean "gain less than 5 pounds".

The Running Knitter said...

Have fun during your last week there! :)

X-Country2 said...

Enjoy your last week in Rome. Consider sight-seeing your cardio!

Ms. V. said...

"lady issues" had me rolling

Meg said...

Man, your time in Rome went quickly! I think it's completely sane to set a goal of not gaining weight over the holidays. Good luck!
Is Rome is really pretty with the decorations this time of year? I was there briefly just after Thanksgiving last year and I remember Padua and Venice were really festively decorated but I can't remember if Rome was...

theloosemoose said...

Leaving Rome in one week?! Damn. There goes my devilish plot of stalking you at the Nerdatorium and coercing you into being my running buddy this February...'Cause that wouldn't be weird at ALL, right?

Loose Moose: "Hi! I read your blog all the time. Lace up those shoes, and let's hit the road, shall we?"

Xenia: "Polizia!! Auito!!"

P.O.M. said...

Oh girlie.
I hear ya. I gained like 12 or 14 lbs during and after my first marathon.

Good luck on the challenge. My plan is to try to do SOMETHING physical (aka POINT WORTHY) every day. We'll see how that shakes down.

Laura said...

I've tried at least three times, and have only ever made it to like day 3 of the pushup challenge. Oops :(