Monday, 12 January 2009

Feeling the brotherly love

Yo.

Recently I was in Philadelphia for a few days. Well, not really Philly so much as one of its fine hotels. Friday ended up being a really triumphant day for me but also unbelievably crappy. Amazing how that happens sometimes. Anyhoo, I was feeling like tens kinds of poo so I decided to get out into the city for a run before night fully set in.

Where did I run? Do you really have to ask? Okay, maybe some of you do.

I ran an out and back route from my hotel to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. There, does that clarify it for you? No? Well, maybe this image will help.



Yeah baby! I re-enacted Rocky. Totally cheesy, but it lifted my spirits like you wouldn’t believe. I even brought along my camera to document my stupidity. No, I’m not showing you the pics. Not surprisingly, there were plenty of other goofballs doing the same thing, so at least I didn’t feel too conspicuous.

Sadly, I followed up that satisfying run with a soul-crushing three miler on the hotel treadmill Sunday morning. It was supposed to be seven miles, but I couldn’t do it. I realized I just don’t hate myself that much.

How you people run on those things on a regular basis is beyond me. The only positive aspect is that I know how fast I’m going. But that definitely ain’t worth the tedium. The treadmill I used had a tv screen attached to it too, but it was so close to my face I had to turn it off. Even with just the blank screen in front of me, my eyes started to hurt from inadvertently focusing on it. I wear reading glasses for a reason, folks. My eyes, they be weak.

Now I’m back in NH and snow country. Getting another run or two in before I fly back to England this week will be difficult as I’m a total wimp with snow and ice. I’m not a coordinated or graceful individual and I don’t have YakTrax because I’m a cheapskate, so NH running is a just a disaster waiting to happen to me right now. Don’t worry though. I’ll let you know if I’m stupid enough to ignore my common sense. Which, in all honesty, I probably am.

Hope you all had an enjoyable weekend. I’ll catch up with you later.

20 comments:

Marcy said...

You can always screw em! And then take the screws out when you're done. They shouldn't leak . .

Nah forget it. Enjoy your time and not run. I wouldn't HAHA

RazZDoodle said...

What's cheesier is putting the Rocky theme on your iPod and timing just right so it plays when you get to the museum.

Calyx Meredith said...

I love cheesy goodness! Yay for lifting your spirits Rocky style!!

Count of Monte Christo said...

Treadmills are a necessary evil that are only good for days with extreme weather conditions. Oh yeah, they are also good for work-related trips to unknown cities, when you don't want to be mugged while running in the dark through dark streets...

No matter how cheesy... It is cool to have pulled a Rocky!

Lily on the Road said...

Don't worry about being cheesy, think about the memories you're making!

WOW, you've had a wonderful year so far...be proud, be cheesy and you don't have to run in NH.

Take a break, you've got time to train for your run with Chia.

Karen said...

Take a break for a few days and enjoy a little vacation. It's no big whoop.

joyRuN said...

I have an easier time running on a mill sans TV - now maybe I know why?

I have YET to pull a Rocky. Countless Sundays in that museum & three races starting/ending right there, I don't know why I haven't done it.

Jenn said...

Yeah for movie inspired cheesy! What's the fun of being a geek if you can't use it, right? I am forever quoting movies, music, books, blogs, etc. (Yeah I am a real big geek. Luckily so is Whit!)

Enjoy the snow with a walk instead of a run. Be careful, but still enjoy the beauty of winter in the north east.

Jenn

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

BLAAARRRRGHH!! I’m a Philly boy and at one point in my checkered career I worked in the west wing of Independence Hall, which, in those daze, was a book store, and people would come in there after their tour of IH and say, "Do you sell souvenir spoons? Or perhaps shot glasses?" And we'd be all, "NO! But we have this heavily footnoted tome on why Geo. W'ton was the Cincinnatus of our fledgling republic ...." And then they'd ask: "Where's the Rocky statue?" And we'd say, "It's at this building called THE PHILADEPHIA ART MUSEUM, and if you travel 40 paces beyond the statue into the building you might could see some REAL art ..."

We had a word for these foax: Tourons. Moron tourists.

Not implying you're one of 'em, Sister, because, being Greek, you have 10 different words for, and degrees of, poo. So you're a sophisticate compared to the tourons.

Glad you enjoyed my city!

tfh said...

I ABHOR the personal tv monitors on every single piece of exercise equipment at my gym. It's depressing. The gym has these big full-length windows and you have to strain to see out them past the stupid monitors. (Although sometimes looking outside is also depressing.)

Enjoy your NH time before jetting off back to England.

Melanie said...

be careful if you do decide to brave the elements. enjoy your time before heading back to England and safe travels.

Kristina said...

Where are you in NH? If near Nashua, I could probably yell hello and you'd hear me. Enjoy our snowy wonderland :)

Ellen said...

perfect weather and time for you to try out those new moisture absoring socks and calf sleeves!

The Running Knitter said...

If I'm ever in Philly, I'm totally going to do a Rocky. I can't stand the treadmill either. Safe travels!

Merry said...

If you think motorized treadmills are bad, come spend twenty minutes getting hot and sweaty with Orlando El Manuel Treadmill. Lubricant is essential ;)

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Way to go. I'd take a pass on running in NH if I were you. That's running outside, I mean. You could always find a gym to run inside...if you really want to. LOL

Have a safe trip back to England.

chia said...

You have plenty of time to just forgo the conditions in the interest of avoiding injury. But, you might want to call a few local colleges to see if they have an indoor track available to rent. For $2 I hit up some track action whilst out travelling for work in Chicago awhile back. Best idea ever.

Hot collegiate men = endless entertainment and motivation to crank out a scheduled 10 ;-).

Safe travels!!

Viper said...

Oh yeah, maybe that's why Rocky was in my head ... eh, doubt it. Besides, Rocky and Rocky iV are two totally different movies.

Ted said...

Did you listen to "Gonna Fly Now" on your iPod while climbing those stairs?? Glad you went to Philly to get some uplifting experience! Don't be shy... We do want to see the picture. Puuuhhhllleaaseeee !!!!!

Roisin said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel about the treadmill. It is such a chore to do anything on it. I'm dreading having to start running on it in a few weeks...