Monday, 19 January 2009

My motto

I don’t like resolutions. I don’t think I’ve ever actually accomplished one before, so I know if I make one now I’ll just be setting myself up for a big fat FAIL and a truckload of guilt by the time December rolls around.

For a while now, I’ve been planning to post about my specific running goals for 2009, but then I realized how much those goals resembled resolutions, so I backed off. Although I still have them in the back of my mind, I’ve simplified them to the following slightly generalized statement:

Get faster.

It’s nice and straightforward. It also pretty much sets the bar so low that only a mouse could limbo under it.

I’m perfectly fine with that.

In order to encourage me to obtain said running goal, I’ve decided to create a motto for myself. And no, I’m not stealing this idea from Frayed Laces even though it looks like I am. I’ve been thinking about creating a motto since December. So there.

My motto?

No excuses, just getter done.

No more avoiding speed work. If I want to get faster, I need to train faster. There’s no other way to go about it. Overall I want to run fewer junk miles and more miles with a purpose, as per Steve’s advice. I’d also like to get back to cross-training to round out my general fitness and to help prevent running injuries. I may will bitch and moan about all this, but by god, I’m going to do it.

My new motto is also applicable to other areas of my life. In particular, it’s the central focus for my PhD work for the next year and a half. I want to finish my dissertation, and thus my degree, by the summer of 2010 so that I can finally finally get a teaching job. One that actually pays money and has benefits. Of course, I’ll be finishing amidst a recession which is pretty much wiping out jobs in my field left and right. Surprisingly, archaeologists aren't in high demand at most universities. They prefer to hire instructors for useless fields like engineering and computer science instead.

Twits.

Thankfully my standards are so low, I’ll take up a teaching post just about anywhere I can get one. Yes, even Idaho. I’m still on the fence about Nebraska though. That one’s a toughie.

Speaking of mottos and states (poor segue, I know), can I just say how much I adore the hardcore attitude of my home state’s motto, Live Free or Die? Seriously, my people are crazy about their freedom, but mostly just plain crazy. I love that.

I looked at a list of state mottos and snickered when I read Maryland’s (Manly deeds, womanly words) and West Virginia’s (Mountaineers are always free). Really, West Virginia? If that’s the case, I’ll take two.

So, do any of you have a personal motto? Does it trump mine? If so, can I steal borrow it?

Have a great week, everyone. Catch up with you later.

- - - - - - - - - -
Running update:
I ran 7 miles on Sunday. Yay for finally getting off my ever expanding ass!

21 comments:

joyRuN said...

I'm totally dragging my feet with the speedwork. I got on the track once & haven't gone back. I adore my junk miles.

Great job on the 7 miles :)

Marcy said...

Amen! Now what is this speed work that you talk of? Is it like a super computer or something? :P GAH! I think I'm just lacking that "drive" compartment in my brain. Yeah I have little of it or what I do have only lasts for 2 weeks HAHA!

Danielle in Iowa said...

*I* probably wouldn't take a faculty job in Nebraska and I live in Iowa.

Of course, being from Massachusetts, I probably said at some point "Gees, I could never in *Iowa*."

The Laminator said...

Hmmm...I gave FL my best running mantra, but here's one that might work for you.
"Faster training = better racing"

Okay, lame, but seriously, you don't need a stinkin' mantra to do speedwork. Running faster should be it's own reward. (At least that's what I tell myself - does it work for you?)

Marci said...

I like your motto. I tend to use the old cliches with speed work such as no pain no gain (uggg!).. I also tell myself if I run faster, I will be done faster, let us know if you come up with any more.

Merry said...

Hell, my evilSUV was supposed to be free? Why did no one mention this before?

I like the "unofficial" state mottoes better.
New Hampshire: like Old Hampshire, only newer.
http://www.rpi.edu/~kuurem/state.html

Melanie said...

your motto is a good one. I don't really have any good ones... great job on the 7 miles, i did the same yesterday :)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

My motto:

"Stop playing with that or you'll go blind!"

So I try not to touch it while running, but sometimes it gets cold and lonely! I'm not made of stone!

I was an English major and I started to go for the ol' PhD. in English, but I gave it up when I realized there would be no jobs in my field (luckily I had this Art History minor to fall back on!) and that all professors were d*cks and I wanted to be in a profession where I could be, if not the ONLY d*ck, at least the biggest.

As so I'm a D*ck Librarian. Not in the sense that I classify and catalog d*cks, because that would be no fun; but in the sense that I brought my native d*ckishness to the profession of Librarianship.

Is that clear?

Good luck finding a job in your field.

My back up motto:

"Stick it to Da Man, unless I become Da Man, then stick it up your @$$, non-Man Luzer!" (It has that certain d*ckishness to it.)

X-Country2 said...

Whoa whoa whoa, have you ever BEEN to Nebraska? It's "Equality before the law" around here. We can basically do whatever we want because everyone is too busy with the corn and cows.

Think about it is all I'm sayin.

aron said...

thats a great motto and goal... i always dread speedwork but it really does work. so like you said just get it done! i will have to tell myself that :)

Count of Monte Christo said...

Speedwork, does tend to grow on you. It's a matter of going through the pain until it begins to feel good.
I'm not too good on mantra's... sorry. I'd go for something lame, like:



I gotta a brand new attitude and

I'm gonna wear it tonight,

I wanna get in trouble,

I wanna start a fight,

Ms. V. said...

You can find lots of mottos in Madonna's music.

Heh.

I was in NH a few years ago, and cracked up at that motto. I have it on a fridge magnet.

Idaho? Nebraska? Them's some good places!!! Razz is from Nebraska!

Meg said...

I've always loved NH's motto. I understand your motto with PhD work...it goes by so quickly doesn't it? Then you're like, uh, I have to get this stuff done quick!
Good luck with the speedwork!

Jess said...

Ick I hate speed work, but major props to you for just going to get it done!

theloosemoose said...

Excelsior!!

Speed work sucks, but it is a necessary evil. I did FIRST and though it nearly killed me it definitely improved my finish times.

And I can't share my mantra...my husband, my kidneys, my 401(K), but definitely NOT my mantra. ;)

Theresa said...

I don't do resolutions either, but I do currently have a goal -- to set more goals.

No seriously.

Good luck with that getting speedier thing!

Tom Rooney said...

Some Mottos I try to live by:

I'd rather had a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy.

To boldly go where no man has gone before.

Life is what happens to you while making other plans.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit: Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Brooke said...

I am from New Hampshire too! Nashua precisely...how about you?

Nitmos said...

My motto is "I'll die before ever paying off my credit cards so...LIVE UP!" I'm not sure that's what you are looking for though as far as motivation.

Heather said...

I like that motto. During speed work, the only thing I can tell myself is "keep going." I started doing 800's regularly this summer and they really worked.

Crabby McSlacker said...

I love that Maryland state motto! Although "Womanly Deeds, Manly Words" would be equally awesome.

And have fun with your free mountaineers!