Wednesday, 21 January 2009

The old switcheroo

I modified my half marathon training plan a bit. And by a bit I mean a lot. I’ve switched from the SmartCoach plan I had to a slightly modified Hal Higdon’s intermediate HM plan. The long run progression is much better in Higdon’s plan compared to the craptastic mess SmartCoach gave me. The only modifications I made to the plan were my training paces. Both SmartCoach and Higdon were giving me rather slow pace times that I can too easily beat, so I put in my hoped for HM finish time in the McMillan calculator and got some better numbers to work with. Hopefully this makes the difference for me.

Of course that’s all dependent on me actually running. As you can see from the sidebar, I don’t have any miles yet this week. [Editor's note: Now I do! 'Bout damn time too.] Since I arrived back on English soil, I’ve been completely unable to fall asleep when I need to and therefore have been waking up rather later than intended which is not good for me, the I-still-want-to-run-in-the-mornings runner. I think I’m still suffering a bit from jetlag which is pathetic (it’s not like I flew in from Australia or anything) but actually pretty common for me when I fly across the Atlantic to England. Hopefully I can catch up on sleep this weekend and sort all this out.

I'm sure this picture will help with that.



*sigh* I heart you, Colin.

In other news, it looks like I’ll be meeting up with fellow blogger and real life friend Theresa in Wales in early March to run a 5K. I’ve never been to Wales before so it’ll be a great weekend getaway trip for me. However, I have a bit of a dilemma. The race organizers are offering two races—a 5K followed by a 10K an hour later. I’m supposed to be getting an 11-mile long run in that weekend in preparation for my half marathon two weeks later. Do you think I’d be crazy to see if they’ll let me sign up for both races? I’d run the 5K as a race, but the 10K probably at an easier pace. Am I certifiable? Let me know in the comments.

Okay, folks, hope you’re faring well on this hump day. Catch up with you later.

28 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh yes, that damn jet lag. I arrived back from the US on a Tuesday and was pretty much trashed mentally and sleep-wise for almost a week. Ugh!

Wales, here we come!

Count of Monte Christo said...

Definitely go for the double race. Doing a 5K race and a 10K run4fun-race sounds awesome.

As to Colin, just keep in mind the words of a wise woman that once wrote: “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife” ;-)

Xenia said...

Count of MC--I know those words well. She's my favorite author. :)

Lily on the Road said...

Might as well, you'll see the country side! LOL

Melanie said...

Go for it! Do both! Hope your new modified training plan works well for you, and hope you catch up on sleep soon :)

Brooke said...

I'm a big fan of making your own modifications...I combined Higdon's novice 1 and novice 2 marathon plans with the FIRST program, and it seemed to work out for me (of course I am speaking too soon- marathon's not for 10 days). Good luck!

Marcy said...

I'd totally do both! Why not? Except I'd be a lazy ass and use running both as an excuse to not "run" (as in get anywhere close to the puke threshold LOL) the 5k :P Sounds like it's gonna be fun! Whoot!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Good on you, sister, for having the hots for the only Englishman for whom there exists ocular proof - and you have uploaded it - that he actually bathes.

In what year did that bath occur?

Mark Twain said about your "favorite author" that, for him, the only difference between her and E.A. Poe is he could actually read Poe on salary, but as for Austen ... uhn-uhn. (Adding: "It seems a great pity that they allowed her to die a natural death.")

All I'll add is ... if Colin is sitting on top of and drowning to death JA's corpus of work, I for one would not dive into that bath to save said corpus, even on salary.

But then ... I'm all man, needless to say, born with that JA-hatin' gene.

When you go to Wales, stay on the coast! There a big nuthin' in the middle of Wales. Take that from someone who learned that the hard way. O, yeah ... and if you see any Japanese fishing boats trying to harpoon Wales, tell them that's illegal and that they should aim their harpoons at the nearest Jane Austen novel instead.

Jane Austen, you have been SERVED!!!1!

Xenia said...

Glaven--I expected to hear vitriolic talk from the others guys, but not you. Now I think my heart is broken. *sniff*

MCM Mama said...

Definitely run them both!

I'm not even doing a training plan for my half in March. I just never got around to finding one. I'm just doing a speed workout, a hill workout, and a long run with as many easy runs or cross training workouts as I can manage in a week. Guess I'll find out in March if that worked LOL.

Ms. V. said...

I'm following Hal's Half plan for Novices, and I like it.

The Running Knitter said...

I think you can do both races. Hope you recover from the jet lag soon!

Steve Stenzel said...

Oh Colin... so dreamy...

And I say try the 2 races! Good luck!!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I retract my previous attack on Jane Austen. I was mistaken. I was thinking of Steve Austin, The Six-Million Dollar Man, who now goes by the name Steve Stenzel and, due to inflation, is now worth eleventy trillion dollars.

My bad. Sorry.

Viper said...

Yes, you're certifiable, but that has nothing to do with the question of whether you should run both races, to which the answer is yes.

Sounds like you put together a good plan for yourself.

Cheers!

Lauren said...

I don't think that picture of Colin is going to help you get any actual sleep! My sister and I have a long standing fight for Colin. Now I'll have to fight you too.

I'd run both races. If they planned them at those times, I bet several people are doing both.

Jess said...

I think lfying across the atlantic constitues a pretty hearty excuse. I get jetlag from just flying aroudn the US, and those flights aren't nearly as long!

tfh said...

I think you should definitely try to sign up for both races, and if they forbid you (though why would they?), you should simply sign up for one under a pseudonym, which I often consider doing anyway so that my results aren't forever searchable on websites like coolrunning. Although probably not a big concern for races in Wales...

Roisin said...

Will they let you do both? I'd do it.

Heather said...

I'd do both, especially if you are just going to do the 10K for fun and to get the miles in - definately doable!

Kristina said...

It's amazing what a little Colin can do for one's mood...
I'd run both races, but I wouldn't race both races, if you want my opinion.

Calyx Meredith said...

Hope the jetlag disappears soon. Not sleeping on a good schedule can wreck a training plan. Your idea of racing one and then running the other sounds like a great plan. Good luck with that! (And how does Glaven manage to post a funny comment no matter what the topic? I am continually amazed.)

joyRuN said...

I think it's a great idea to run both races (just don't go all out for the first one). It helped me SO much to run whatever long runs I could with a race within.

Had to double-take when I saw Colin's pic. I'd have uttered a lustful groan if my kids weren't in earshot.

Ted said...

Sounds like a classic jet lag !!! You ought to try a couple shot of Jagermeister. That will do nicely before you hit the sack.

I have read so many training plans by different authors. I have not even found one that I like the best. So I just run whatever I can to the best of my ability.

Frayed Laces said...

I am so conflicted. I love Colin so much, but him in a bathtub with that look makes him appear to be either a 4 year old boy or a very flamboyant gay man.

Marci said...

I was kind of thinking the same thing as FL, I would do both. Good luck with your training, the Hal Higdon plan is great!

The Laminator said...

I think the jury has reached a unanimous decision...that Xenia should run BOTH.

That solves that problem...Carry on.

kelsey said...

mmmmmmmmm, colin.