Monday, 5 January 2009

Peek-a-boo, Part II

Hello campers. Hope your New Year celebrations were enjoyable. Now back to the grind, heh? My sympathies.

Well, it’s another week, so I’m in another place. Z and I drove back to Chicago from NH over the weekend. The trip was pretty much the same as the way out except we experienced snowy conditions in western New York and Pennsylvania and got to see western Ohio and Indiana in daylight. Neither were improvements. Except for accidentally seeing cows getting it on in Indiana, the only other exciting thing to happen during the 1,000 mile drive was Z getting pulled over outside Toledo for speeding. Yes, she got a ticket. However, she takes no responsibility for it. Her excuse? ‘It’s not my fault Ohio is so flat.’ Touché, big sister, touché.

As yesterday was the last day of the HBBC, I thought I would go out with a bang and try to up my measly points count. So Z dropped me off at the Lake Shore bike path and I ran for an hour, getting in 5.4 miles. It felt really good to get out and run again, especially as this was my longest run since the marathon which was over a month ago. To say I’ve lost fitness in that time is an understatement. Although I’m not overjoyed to be leaving my family and friends again, I am looking forward to returning to England in a week and a half and getting back to what passes for normal in my life. I think I need a little routine to get me back on track.

In the interim, I have the start of my half marathon training to keep me going. My ten-week plan starts this week, so I’m going to take advantage of all the decent weather Mother Nature has to offer here in Chicago and eventually in two other US cities (yup, never stationary for long, that’s me) before I jet off again. I’ve also been pondering my running goals for 2009. More on that later though.

Hope you all have a great week. Catch up with you later.

23 comments:

Merry said...

Did I just see the words "Decent weather" and "Chicago" in the same sentence?

You saw two cows getting it on? That sounds like Bull to me ;)

The Running Knitter said...

Decent weather means no snow and not freezing, right?

Mailed your hat off to you last week. :)

Lily on the Road said...

Ohio is so flat, now that made me laugh!!! Good for Z.

Have fun and Merry said it, Chicago and decent weather, LMAO!!!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Lesbian cows! Woo-hoo! And the mid-west states try to tell you they have no gay livestock!

Explain what Xenia saw, then, mid-west states!

‘It’s not my fault Ohio is so flat.’

Does Z think we're dumb? Everyone knows Ohio is Round on both ends and HI in the middle. O. Hi. O.

Now, if she was zooming downhill off that first "O", then she's have an excuse. But "flatness"? I'm not buying it.

And don't worry. I always listen to Teh 'Bride because I value all of my body parts.

Can't wait till you're back in the Blogosphere full time, sister.

Marcy said...

Good to see you chica!!

Where the heck have I been?! You're doing a HM?!? Gah you peeps are making me feel all lazy :P

chia said...

What I would give to be a cow right now... HA!

10 more weeks!!! What plan are you on? I'm kind of bastardizing every plan out there and just doing whatever one makes me happy that particular day. Meh.

Safe travels :-)!

Viper said...

Coincidentally, I once got a speeding ticket entering Ohio on my way back from Chicago. Our finest are a little friendly with the fines.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Copulating cattle is as good as it gets on that stretch of highway, huh?

And I love that excuse for speeding!

Jamie said...

Ohio is the only place I ever get speeding tickets on my way to/from Chicago. Way to get out there on the lake path! I did no such thing and I actually live there ;)

joyRuN said...

Enjoy some friendly runners while you're here :)

My HBBC points are pathetic. I'm half inclined not to send them in out of sheer embarrassment.

Jess said...

Haha I can't believe you saw two cows getting it on!

Enjoy your last few days in the state's before heading back across the pond!

tfh said...

Enjoy the rest of your time in the U.S. of A! Funny, the last time I got a speeding ticket was in Vermont, when I used the excuse that it was so HILLY and that by not braking on downhills I could save on gas...the $100 ticket kind of wiped out those savings, though.

Melanie said...

LMAO at the cows and the speeding excuse! Great job getting out for the run too :)

Kristina said...

I ran a Lake Shore Drive yesterday, too, but doubt it was the same one. Happy New Year and good luck on the new round o' training!

X-Country2 said...

Enjoy the time with the fam! Hopefully the midwest weather stays nice for you.

Ted said...

Happy New Year to you !! Enjoy your time here in the USA before you head back to England.

Hope we can meet in Dublin this year!

Viv said...

Glad you were able to get a long run in. Hope the 1/2 mary training goes well. Hey you are a marathoner now chcike you have done the whole enchilada :)

Happy New Year, best wishes for a healthy strong 2009!

just in case you have not don't forget to sign up for free running shoes on my blog

Ms. V. said...

Chicago in January!?? BRR!!!

Girl on Top said...

LOL on her reason!

Roisin said...

Aside from it being cold, the weather in Chicago isn't bad right now...not at all! In fact, it's nice enough that people keep running by me, taunting me, because I can't run right now :(

Nitmos said...

Half marathon training starts? The fear alone should get you back into a routine.

Happy 2009.

Frayed Laces said...

Running goals? How about PhD goals?

rssasrb said...

You actually stopped so you could run. You should win a prize. Hope your trip back to England was safe and easy.