Wednesday, 14 January 2009

Trash TV

I haven’t run since I was in Philly. It was freaking cold here on Monday and Tuesday was spent running errands and packing in preparation for my flight today. Oh well. That’s life.

So, what does that leave me with to write about for today? Not much, so I’ll turn to the activity that took up a good chunk of my time while trapped in a house in the middle of Nowhere, NH—watching tv.

For the three years I’ve lived in England, I haven’t had a television. Surprisingly, this has never bothered me, even when I lost track of shows I used to watch religiously. (Scrubs, what’s happened to you?)

Now that I’m back in the states, I’ll watch a little television here and there, but mostly I find it to be mind-numbingly boring and end up putting in a DVD or reading a book.

Monday night was an exception. The program that caught my eye was anything but quality, but I still couldn’t stop watching it.

It was The Bachelor.

Good lord, where do I start? Of course, I’ve heard about this show before, and its counterpart The Bachelorette, but I’ve never actually seen an episode of any of the seasons before. That is, until now.

I caught a bit of the season premiere while in Chicago, but Monday night I got to witness an entire hour of hair extensions, backstabbing and cat fights. It was incredible.

First off, who the hell voluntarily puts themselves through this on national television? Dating can be harsh enough, but to do it in front of millions of people? Damn, you have to have a death wish. The Bachelor himself, though seemingly kind and rather attractive, has got to be a nut case. Seriously. He honestly thinks he’s going to find his true love and a caring mother for his little boy amongst these 25 women. Women who, might I add, were handpicked by the show’s producers who are looking for ratings gold...which means the group is full of crazies. And not just the regular run of the mill kind of crazy like you and me. I mean bunny-boiling, potentially-Lorena-Bobbitt-in-the-making psycho crazy.

Granted, some of the women do actually seem genuine, but all of them have this heavy cloud of desperation surrounding them. They’re clingy, paranoid, manipulative and whiny...all over a man they barely even know but still want to marry. Not just date, but marry. Like, right away. That’s freaking insane.

What’s fascinating to me is that these women are beautiful and most have great careers. If you encountered them in the real world, you’d think they led charmed lives and had men falling at their feet. Apparently not if they’re willing to check their self-respect at the door and live in what is essentially a harem to vie for the attentions of a potential husband who’s sucking face with each and every one of them and often while in full view of the rest. It’s a complete and utter train wreck. And it makes for great television.

This show truly is the epitome of a guilty pleasure. On the one hand, I feel bad for deriving entertainment from the naked insecurities of these women. I should be more compassionate to those of my sex. On the other hand, their appalling behavior makes me feel SOOOOOOOOO much better about myself. Hmmm, it is a dilemma.

Somehow, I think I’ll be able to live with the guilt.

Happy hump day, everyone.

18 comments:

RazZDoodle said...

Being attractive AND desperate is how I snagged WifeDoodle.

Vanilla said...

I would guess that the women are giving up dignity for a shot at being famous. It's the American way.

Marcy said...

Ooohhh Razz that was harsh!

I don't think I've ever watched The Bach. I did however lurve Joe Millionaire when that shiz was out. Nothing like watching a bunch of gold diggers go after a "millionaire" only to have the rug pulled from under them at the end. Makes me smile :-)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I've never seen the Bachelor, but I imagine the attraction is derived from its depiction of a simpler, happier time when women - no matter how beautiful, intelligent and accomplished - were chattel.

I'll never forget, as a kid, when we'd set down to dinner and Pa would say to Ma, "Woman, did you plow the back 40 yet?" And Ma would say, "Pa, I done already put the ox in the barn!" And Pa would say, "Who said anything 'bout lettin' ya use the ox?"

Good times, good times!

Pa NEVER regretted choosing Ma to be his bride when he was on that game show. Sure, some of the other women had bigger haunches, but Ma had gumption!

tfh said...

I'm not sure I can top Glaven's comment. (He used the word "chattel." How can you top that? Well, your harem sentence does the trick.)

Anyway, I agree w/ Vanilla, and actually I find it more pathetic and demeaning that anybody would go on the Bachelor to find fame than if I actually sensed they were looking for true love.

Ms. V. said...

I didn't watch the Bachelor, but got sucked into Momma's Boys. Gah!

Nitmos said...

The Bachelor? No thanks. I'm more of a "Double Shot of Love with the Ikki Twins" kind of guy.

The Running Knitter said...

I always get sucked into that mindless tv!

Ted said...

I am sure you are amazed at how much trash we have on TV these days. Not like you see so many National Geographic-type shows these days. Plainly put - trash, trash, trash.

theloosemoose said...

"The Bachelor" is like a PBS show compared to "Momma's Boys". I, of course, lurve them both.

A few seasons back there was a bachelor who was a marathoner, so I justifed my obsessive viewing my saying it was in the name of research.

Susan said...

Such an addicting show! But it's no wonder the marriages never really work out...

Karen said...

Watching shows like the batchelor make me fear for the future of america. Seriously. This is the genepool we are going to use to create a better nation? Seriously?
LOL!
How about Wife-Swap? With Margerite Perrin? "Gorgyle and sikicks? tainted stuff!" /Shudder/

Lily on the Road said...

I kinda liked Brett Michaels on Rock of Love....NOT...

The Laminator said...

Xenia, I totally agree...maybe that's why I don't watch the show (or its female counterpart)...I think the craziness started with 'Who Wants to Marry A Millionaire?' and it's just trickled down from there.

McB said...

"willing to check their self-respect at the door"

I don't watch any of those reality shows for just reason. I deal with enough idiots in my life, I don't need them in my free time, too.

Meg said...

Yeah I don't get those people either. I always wonder how people go back to their jobs and lives after the show is over, and they've been seen acting like an insane ditz. Safe travels!

Heather said...

I used to be totally adicted to the Bachelor - I'm forcing myself not to watch this season because it just seems a little too much to drag kids into it.

Laura said...

The Bachelor becomes pure awesomeness when you add a good girlfriend, a few bottles of wine, and some snark a la Lincee's recaps.