Monday, 2 February 2009

Economic time crunch

And I’m back. I can feel your enthusiasm through the interwebs. It’s heartwarming.

So yeah, I’ve been kind of busy lately. Still am actually. But unlike some people, I’m not letting that shut my blog down for an extended period of time. Mostly because, unlike those people, I really need you guys. Without you, I’d probably slack off with running in the face of my jam-packed schedule and I really don’t want that to happen. I need to read about your training and races, struggles and triumphs. Also, I need you guys to metaphorically smack some sense into me every now and then. You know, the usual.

However, I do need to make some changes since there are just not enough hours in the day to get everything done. So, I’ll be cutting back on my blog reading and commenting. I’ll still post two or three times a week, but definitely no more than that. And if I do, yell at me. That means I’m slacking and I really can’t afford to right now.

Okay, enough site news, now on to more important things.

I’ve been getting in at least three runs a week. Hell, I even ran with another person one time. That’s a new one for me. It was rather nice chitchatting with someone as opposed to zoning out to my ipod. Huh, who knew.

The weather has been hella cold though and only promises to get colder this week. [Editor's note: In fact it's snowing today. We're expected to get a whopping 6 inches and it's being touted as the worst snow accumulation in the last 18 years. The English are silly creatures, are they not.] I may have to suck it up and run at the gym. I despise the dreadmill, but I hate the cold even more so this is definitely a case of the lesser of two evils. It still makes me feel dirty though.

And just so you all know last week wasn’t all fun and games as I was drowning in a sea of work, I also managed to lose a small chunk of flesh off my right thumb. It didn’t happen while doing anything cool though like being in a knife fight or in a major construction accident. Instead, I lost it to this thing.

Damned dirty ape!

My housemates must have a twisted sense of humor because this is the only peeler we have. It doesn’t look sharp, but trust me, it is. I was peeling a butternut squash and the second swipe saw the blade gouged into my thumb, even slicing into the nail.

It didn’t look that deep at first so I just wrapped my thumb in a paper towel and kept on cooking. Hell, I was only halfway through preparing dinner, I ain’t got time to bleed! [Editor’s note: If anyone can name the movie that quote is from, you’ll win my respect. Okay, maybe not my respect, but you’ll make me feel better about knowing so much useless random crap.] The bleeding eventually stopped, but only after I had dripped blood on the counter and the cutting board. Yes, I cleaned both thoroughly. Two days later, I removed the offending (and most definitely dead) flap of skin to prevent it catching on anything. Now I just have to deal with the ignominy of having a split nail and a divot in the top of my thumb. Eh, it could have been worse.

Yeah, so that’s a crappy way to end a post, so here’s this little gem of a video I found at Roni’s Weigh. Check it out.



I’ve been slacking off about going to the gym this month, so when I watched this on Friday I immediately called to book into the evening spin class. Sadly, it was already full, but I’m planning on hitting Tuesday’s class. Well, if I can wake-up early enough to book in that is. Wish me luck.

Have a great week, everyone. Catch up with you when I can.

17 comments:

Count of Monte Christo said...

D.mn, that sounds painful!
Best take care of that wound.

We'll be here to cheer you on with comments, so don't worry. It's a good thing that you stick with running.

Btw, my second bib is for the second run I do ;-) I've got a big mouth and love to run, but am too chicken/lazy/... to participate in more runs (I promise I will... honestly...)

Anonymous said...

Yikes, look after yourself!

Now, get off blogland and back to work ;)

I'll miss you, but you know where to find me!

Lily

Marcy said...

You sound like a busy lady (but aren't you always? hehe) THANK GOD you're not leaving us for a long time because between you and Nitmos I'd probably have to cry myself to sleep at night. OK maybe not, but it sure would be really lonely. I don't know if I could handle all of Viper's drinking by myself LOL JK!

Is it the Predator perhaps? ;-)

tfh said...

See what happens when you take a break from blogging? By now, a real ape may just have relieved Nitmos of several of his digits. We can only hope.

Melanie said...

yikes! sucks about your finger! Enjoy the break... take care.

Viper said...

It is for sure Predator. Mac.

Good to see you back. I once sliced a chunk of thumb off with a box cutter. I needed four stitches. It's nice and mangled. You shouldn't drink beer and hang drywall.

OK, enough story time. Get back to work.

P.O.M. said...

Damn cheeky monkey. ha ha.

I thought of you this weekend when I caught myself doing *jazz hands* for the race photographer again. Can't wait to see the pics.

nwgdc said...

Welcome back! I had that same video up on my page for quite a while. I love it!

theloosemoose said...

You're not REALLY busy, are you? Because if you're cooking actual meals involving actual, fresh vegetables, then you must have a FEW extra minutes in your day. Enough extra minutes to...perhaps...pop back over to Rome for a brief visit? :)

We go in TWELVE days!!!! I am ridiculously excited. Circus Maximus, here I come!

chia said...

Squash? Is that in the Pizza or the Chinese family? No? Alright, no idea what that is then.

*smoochies* for your boo boo I fly in March 12 apparently ;-)

joyRuN said...

OUCH!

I'd guess what movie, but I don't want your respect. You're well aware what I'm holding out for ;)

You chit-chat on the run?! I have a sweet cadence to my gasp-gasp--wheeze on the run.

The Laminator said...

Good to hear from you again. I thought for sure you were going to recede into hiding like he-who-will-remain-nameless. Sorry about the nail, but good job running...especially on the dreadmill.

X-Country2 said...

Welcome back! Damn monkey indeed. :o)

Merry said...

I feel better that I'm not the only one who loathes trying to work out in the snow.

And hey, Manuel's available ;)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Mmmm .... Economic Time Crunch with Time-Crunchberries ... mmmmmm ...

What's joyRuN holding out for? When did Diggin' It get crypto-Sapphic?

Don't get me wrong; it's not that I disapprove. Just ... I'd swing by more often if Id known ...

Roisin said...

I heart Predator...first "horror" movie that didn't send me into panic attacks for weeks on end.

Meg said...

Ouch. That peeler deserves to be tossed for just being ugly. Good luck getting your work done!