Wednesday, 11 February 2009

Interview with a slow poke

Monday and Tuesday saw me back to spinning again after a six month hiatus. And boy is my ass feeling it. I’m also suffering from a nasty chafing incident involving the bike seat, my nether regions and a feminine hygiene product. I won’t go into the details (too late!) but I think I now have an inkling of the trauma women face with female genital mutilation. I still can’t walk normally.

Okay, now on to less disturbing topics...

Our girl Chia has helped me out and answered my whine to be interviewed since I’m once again worried about running out of decent blog material. Lord knows I may have to resort to using bullet points soon. (The new RazZdoodled? I’m doing my best to change the definition for you, buddy.)

So here goes:

1. Who/what was your inspiration to start distance running?
I no longer felt comfortable in my own skin and was looking for an exercise that wasn’t going to bust my pocketbook wide open. (Little did I know.) My friends Merry and Theresa had recently taken up running and I thought I’d try it too. I’ve been grateful to them ever since.

2. Growing up did you ever participate in any athletic programs?
My freshman year in high school I was on the track and field team. My events were shot put and discus though I was forced to try long jump at one meet. That didn’t end well for me. I also played basketball from eighth to tenth grade. After that I was all nerd all the time and didn’t play sports anymore.

3. Do you ever fear the unknown when you're deposited in other countries and have to find somewhere to pull a long run out of your American ass?
The only two places I’ve ever had any concern about this were in Rome and in Iowa of all places. At the time I didn’t have access to MapMyRun so I had to wing it at first. Running in the pre-dawn hours into a sketchy part of Rome wasn’t my best running experience, but it was all right. I’ll never know what’s out there unless I put on my shoes and venture out, so it’s worth the mild anxiety in the end. Also, that anxiety equals faster pacing. Score!

4. What would you rather: Run faster or run longer distances?
Hands down it’s run faster.

5. What is your almighty power song?
I’ve never claimed to have good taste in music. The stuff that keeps me pumped and running at a decent clip are mostly dance and 80s/90s songs. My power songs seem to change every few weeks or so. At present, they include Snap’s Rhythm is a Dancer, Tears for Fears’ Everybody Wants to Rule the World and U2’s Where the Streets Have No Name.

To play along:
1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. (I get to pick the questions).
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions of your choosing.

Have a happy hump day, everyone.

22 comments:

Count of Monte Christo said...

Running abroad is scary at first. Still, I always feel like an extreme touch cookie after a run in an unknown area. Yet, I am not tough cookie enough to go for a run in a cold, foreign city after dark (after a day of meetings).

Anxiety can be good.

joyRuN said...

I've had that chafeage, & yep - it really sucks. 100% empathy AND sympathy coming from here, girl.

Carly said...

Great interview. I am scared to run anyplace I don't know. Kudos to you for getting out there.

The Laminator said...

Okay, would it make me sound like a total spazz if I tell you that all three songs are at the top of my Top 25 Most Played iTunes playlist?

nwgdc said...

Rhythm is a Dancer? Really?
I really had you pegged for a C&C Music Factory kinda lady. Damn.

nwgdc said...

...and...
I had a friend in high school, when he would say something outrageous that would garner a "Are you serious?" response, he would then say:

Serious as cancer. Rhythm is a dancer.

WTF does that mean? Perhaps you can shed some light on it considering your affinity for the song?

Marcy said...

LMAO at Nic!

I won't even talk about playlists or power songs since mine include Britney Spears :-X I am however going to have to add some U2. I forgot about that song!

RazZDoodle said...

Great. Now I have Rhythm is a Dancer in my head. I will now go light myself on fire.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Awesome opening paragraph, sister! Know what would have made it even better? Another story about your grandmother's vibrator! Which I think should have its own cartoon show on Adult Swim! Because I'd watch it! Think of the possibilities! Grandma leaves town without "Vanessa" and she ("Vanessa") goes out on adventures of her own and meets like Dilbert Teh Dildoe who like turns out to be the President of Fox News! Until he's fired for being too "elite" and "intellectual". And then Vanessa gets the job!

Man, this stuff writes itself - the more fantastical the better, just like a Fox News news crawl!

How can you ever run out of blog topics when you have "Vanessa" in your arsenal?

(I'd just like to point out that "arsenal" is not a form of the Brit word "arse" because if that were where you kept "Vanessa" then ... well, I need hardly finish that thought. Man, people came here thinking the worst thing they were gonna read was your opening paragraph! Guess I showed 'em.)

Xenia said...

NWDGC--Yes, really. Although I admit to being a bit of a ho since I also like C&C Music Factory. As for the meaning of the lyrics, all I can say is sometimes the heart loves what it can't understand.

Glaven--Biotch, where you been?! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know you haven't gone to the blogosphere in the sky. Yes, I mean Denver.

Merry said...

I'm an inspiration? Egads.
It's recipric-- reciproc-- it's mutual, damn it. When I run out of inspiration I come over here to steal some of yours :)

tfh said...

Having experienced just every kind of horrible chafe possible, I'm wincing. That's definitely one of the worst, along with it's cousin, the-- well, I won't go there.

You're definitely a more fearless Runner Abroad than I. Now I'm wondering about Iowa...

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Denver!?!1? I'd rather have "Vanessa" up my arsenal!

Roisin said...

I've only run-abroad in the West of Ireland and in the St. Helens area, outside Liverpool. My biggest problem in both of those cases was running into dead-ends!

X-Country2 said...

My only running abroad experience was in Japan where I was terrified of getting lost and not being able to read signs to get back. I ran around the block a million times the first week I was there.

Great interview!

Viper said...

You're right, this is boring.

Vanilla said...

Hey, there's nothing wrong with Denver. You could do a lot worse looks directly at commenter above.

Also, I started my marathon with Everybody Wants to Rule the World.

http://www.theloosemoose.wordpress.com said...

I know well that chafe of which you speak. During my one and only ultra marathon I was genitally assaulted by a very frisky pad with a mind of its own. Not pleasant.

YAY for Glaven's return!!

MCM Mama said...

ooh, that chafe sucks. I'm feeling sympathy pains!

And, while I've never run abroad, I have been in the "run faster, I'm not in a great area" situation before.

Frayed Laces said...

Ah, fellow firecrotch sista. I feel your pain.

Ms. V. said...

um. U2 was my last song on my run today. Where the streets have no name is still the best.

:)

Funny post...

footfeathers said...

Funny, I had the exact same experience trying to run at 6am in Rome (Jan '07). Three things happened:
1) I got lost
2) I got scared
3) I yelled "Bellissimo!" and almost kissed the desk clerk when I found my hotel.