Friday, 6 February 2009

TMI times 25

This week hasn’t been stellar on the fitness front. I’ve run once (a 4 mile tempo run on Monday) and attended a body combat class on Wednesday. I’m hoping to at least get 3 miles in today as well as a body pump class. We’ll see if that dream actually becomes a reality though.

Since I don’t have much spare brain power left to think of anything else to write about, I’ll just recycle a tag I got bitch-slapped with on FB. Here are 25 random things, facts, habits or goals about me, with a few slight changes from those posted on FB to protect the innocent me.

1. I cave to peer pressure, hence me writing this godforsaken list.
2. I should have been named Jean. I'm glad I wasn't.
3. I've always wanted to learn how to play the piano so I could re-enact that scene in the movie Big where Tom Hanks is jumping around on the gigantic floor piano.

4. I ran a marathon and want to run another one.
5. I remember virtually nothing about US history and am always afraid I'm going to get caught out on it like in the Jay-Walking segments on The Tonight Show.
6. I want to know what it's like to be pregnant, but I'm not sure I’d make a good mom.
7. My lucky number is 5.
8. I have a brother who is almost 28 years younger than me and I wonder if he'll ever think I'm cool.
9. I feel deficient not being able to speak Greek.
10. Oddly enough, my first language was Greek. (See, it’s true: If you don’t use it, you lose it.)
11. My favorite ice cream sundae is chocolate ice cream with peanut butter and hot fudge sauce on top.
12. Just typing #11 put 5 pounds onto my thighs.
13. I worry about the health of my family a lot.
14. This is not what I thought being 30 would feel like. It's not bad, just not what I expected.
15. I've only seriously entertained pursuing four professions in my life--a veterinarian, a marine biologist, an astronomer or an archaeologist.
16. I wonder why I never chose a profession that didn't require a decade of schooling to achieve it.
17. I'm a lefty, but my dad tried to make me do things right-handed when I was little until my mom told him to knock it off. This is why I do some things right-handed now.
18. I secretly hope to be on Jeopardy one day.
19. I'm really looking forward to the day when I get called 'Professor X'.
20. I've not so subtly been telling my sister to get knocked up because I really want to be an aunt.
21. Although I can't wait to move back to the states after I finish my PhD, I'm afraid of the weight I'll gain by living the car-dependent lifestyle once again.
22. I'm a cheapskate in everyday life so I don't feel too bad when I blow large sums of money on plane tickets to cool places.
23. I can never regret not applying to Dartmouth because then I wouldn't have gone to my undergrad alma mater and met my Taiwanese sister. Holla, Ellen!
24. When I retire, I want to live in a Queen Anne house and spend my days refinishing furniture, quilting, reading books, getting serviced by my cabana boy Gerard Butler, and yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn as I wave a shotgun at them.
25. I daydream all the damn time.

There you have it. Even more information about me you didn’t want to know. Let’s all hope next week sees me running more. Or at the very least writing better posts.

Have a fabulous weekend, everyone!

- - - - - - - - - -
UPDATE:
If you haven't already heard, there's going to be another virtual race happening on February 14 in honor of our wonderful Nancy and the crappy diagnosis she got from the doc. The fabulous USJogger is holding the Freakishly Flexible 5K on that weekend. So stop by his blog and tell him you're in like flynn then run some miles that weekend for our hobbled homegirl. She more than deserves this collective shout-out of internet love and support.


We love you, Nancy!

17 comments:

Count of Monte Christo said...

I think it's great how you use #7 to tell us your lucky number is #5.

It would be great to be called Professor X. and be in charge of a bunch of X-people.

great post

joyRuN said...

Excellent TMI list, Professor X!!

Jess said...

I'm about to cave to the list too because I was tagged...I guess it happens. Fun list!

Merry said...

This week has been horrible as far as fitness goes. I would even go so far as to use the British term 'horrid.'

The good news is -- it's Friday!

Danielle in Iowa said...

I guess you are hoping that you get to be on the US-History free Jeopardy?

( and eh, parking is often ridiculous on campuses anyway, so I'm sure you still won't be using a car on a daily basis!)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

20. I've not so subtly been telling my sister to get knocked up because I really want to be an aunt.

Pfffttt!! That'll never work. You HAVE to be subtle - e.g., "So Z ... had any good penises lately? OR TURKEY-BASTERS! I really don't care which; I'm not judgemental."

Or you could just give her a turkey-baster as a house-warming gift. Or just give her one night with your cabana boy, Gerard Butler.

Is this TMI?

Carly said...

Love the list! I can relate to your #10...I spoke fluent Serbian when I was little. I quit when I started school because I thought my family was "weird" for being bilingual and now I only know the swear words.

tfh said...

Come on, you should make your future students call you "Dr. X."

I think worrying that you'll be a bad mother is the best sign you'll be a GREAT mom. At least that's what I tell my sister in my own I-wanna-be-an-aunt way.

the erratic epicurean said...

Dr. X has a real ring to it!

Viper said...

Will you also roll around in a wheel chair with a shaved head?

Jamie said...

Dr. X is super cool. And I was almost name Jean as well...thank god that didn't happen! Great 25!

Mike Antonucci said...

I took three years of ancient Greek in high school ("Tell me, oh Muse, of the man who was never at a loss...") and I was able to write with both hands until the nuns made me chose one. Now I'm a lefty.

The Laminator said...

Damn, I should have changed my name earlier... Dr. X sounds so much cooler than Dr. L

Nice list, Xenia. You're definitely the mistress of randomness.

Non-Runner Nancy said...

Aw, thanks, love. You are so sweet. I really appreciate all the support.

Hobbled Homegirl
XOXO

Marci said...

I signed up for the 5K! Also, I laughed when I read your comment about the Big movie piano. I totally wanted to learn piano after watching that! Have a great weekend X!!

X-Country2 said...

Gerard Butler indeed! I'm a sucker for the accent. Great list!

Calyx Meredith said...

Reading #11 put 5lbs on my thighs! Fun list! So when is the next marathon?