Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Not-so-wordless Wednesday*

Hey folks. Not much to say today. I went to yoga last night and planned on running after, but when I got home and changed into my running shirt I felt a wave of nausea and dizziness. I parked myself in a chair hoping it would pass but it didn't. Feeling pretty tired, I decided to retire early for the night (9:30 pm--christ, how old am I?!). However, I woke up early this morning and got a quick three miler in, so at least whatever it was that laid me low last night didn't last.

As per Meg's request, here are some more photos of Bath. Vanilla, any of this seem familiar at all?

The Sally Lunn House. The oldest house in Bath and original creator of the Sally Lunn bun which just looks like a gigantic hamburger bun that you slather random crap on so I didn't bother trying one.


Abbey churchyard--To the left is the entrance to the Roman Baths and to the right is the Pump Room.

The entrance to the Jane Austen Centre. Yes, they've plastered Colin Firth's image all over that place.


Sculpture in the Botanical Gardens


Close-up of the Royal Crescent. A one-bedroom apartment here is going for 495,000 GBP which is about $700,000. Anybody got some money I can borrow?

Abbey Green--Along with Abbey churchyard, it's one of the most popular locations to shoot in for period films. You can see it in the 1995 version of Persuasion. Also, there is a fantastic fudge shop just around the corner.

The colonnaded side of Abbey churchyard. Another frequent film location.

Two almost fully naked twits doing strange acrobatics outside the Pump Room for money. They're basically wearing thongs so the diners in the Pump Room were getting a not very appetizing view while eating their lunches. I wanted to take video of them, but this is when my camera battery died.

The start and finish location for the half marathon. This is Great Pulteney Street just off Laura Place and at the end of it is the Holburne Museum of Art.

Have a great day, everyone.

- - - - - - - - - -
*Title in homage to Lily.

32 comments:

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO! Ooohhh chica that second to last pic is so very classy! I'm lovin the one dude with his young kid HAHAHAA (bottom left) The kinds of questions that will come outta seeing that!

RazZDoodle said...

Nice pics. Maybe you have malaria. Ever think of that? Hmm???

Calyx Meredith said...

That picture of the Royal Crescent is wonderful with the cloudy sky, the GREEN lawn and the arc of the building! So glad that whatever nausea weirdness you had last night passed quickly!

carpeviam said...

Lol! I was gonna question the dad/child in 2nd to last picture, but Marcy beat me to it! Makes you wonder.

Looks beautiful, though!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

PLEASE don't tell me what actually goes on in The Pump Room because if it's anything like what goes on OUTSIDE the Pump Room I'd rather just leave it to my imagination.

And I am equally disturbed that, to carpeviam, a Dad frenching his son "looks beautiful".

There are some viams, carpeviam, that definitely should NOT be carpe'd. And that's one.

tfh said...

Lovely photos!

Alas, the 9:30 p.m.-how-old-am-I is a conversation I have with myself most nights these days. Anyway, I'm glad you're feeling better! I have no such excuse.

Lily on the Road said...

Gorgeous and even more so because I have family there, yes, that's where one set of my grandparents came from !!

ps, thanks for the ceremonial acknowledgment LOL...

X-Country2 said...

What an amazing place. Love the pics!

Irish Cream said...

Gorgeous photos! (well, minus the second to last photo anyway . . . probably shouldn't have maximized that one!)

Amanda said...

Hi, I just found your blog and wanted to say hi. These pics are gorgeous!

Count of Monte Christo said...

I love the pics! P&P posters are always a good thing - though I am more of a Lizzy than a Darcy person. (What's with the nude guys?)

Glad you are feeling better

Vanilla said...

" Vanilla, any of this seem familiar at all?"

Yup. Those naked guys seem familiar.

Seriously I was pretty young when I was there but I do vaguely remember Bath Abbey and the Abbey churchyard.

Mike G said...

I thought the half naked twits were an event in the half marathon: the thong relay? With bonus points for Borat style ├╝ber thongs? It would make for race day pics that your friends would WANT to sit down and look at!

The Running Knitter said...

Glad you are feeling better. Thanks for posting the pics - love them!

carpeviam said...

G!! Note the large space between "wonder." and "Looks..." Much like this space:

What the hell. Who am I kidding? There's no convincing you. ;)

american girl said...

I love love loved Bath when I went. Although to me it seemed perpetually under cloud and rain but that was part of its charm. I'm surprised to see the sun waving hello.

Ms. V. said...

Love the naked twits.

joyRuN said...

Glad whatever was wrong didn't stick around.

9:30p? Please, girl. That's LATE for me.

Love the pics :) I wouldn't mind Colin Firth plastered all over sites of historical significance.

Mel said...

Those are some gorgeous pics. Makes me want to hop on a plane.

MCM Mama said...

Loved the pics (well, except for the naked twits). I would not have enjoyed that view for lunch LOL.

Run For Life said...

I'm also glad you're feeling better. Did you try the Roman water at the Pump Room? I was too put off by the green colour to taste it, haha.

nwgdc said...

Wait, 9:30 pm is early? How OLD am I?
Great pictures...how classy of us 'mericans that 90% of the comments reference the only picture that includes men in thongs. Love it!

RunningLaur said...

Of course the photo of guys in thongs would get all of the American attention.

My British architecture classes were always talking about "The royal crescent, you must see the royal crescent. Did you know Bath has a royal crescent. It's shaped like a crescent and you should probably go see it." Needless to say, I didn't bother.

Marci said...

Thanks for the pics, the naked son/father duo is a little creepy though...

aron said...

wow those pics are awesome :) such a pretty place!

Merry said...

I like the fact that the Royal Crescent is actually crescent shaped. Oddly logical for an island where a lot of the names don't make sense. (I mean, does Piccadilly Circus have a ringmaster? Noooo. Not even an elephant. Tsk.)

Blyfinn said...

Great pictures. I wish I was there.

Roisin said...

I've been to Bath!!! I love the Royal Crescent. I remember my dad saying to me, "Now that's OLD money."

I did spend way too much time in the Jane Austen Centre. Got a really cool mug :)

jeff said...

i would think that the entrance to the roman baths and the pump room would be one and the same.

(ba-dump bump ching!)

Vava said...

What is it with the Brit's penchant for combining nudity and comedy? Often with tragic results... Bath looks very quaint indeed!

chia said...

Wow, I remember THOSE GUYS!!!

Meg said...

Wow am I behind in reading posts. Thanks for the pictures! Bath is beautiful. I really need to see more of the UK.