Monday, 30 March 2009

Sun is shining

Thank god for the humiliation challenge or my lazy butt wouldn’t have run a single mile this weekend. I ran on both Saturday and Sunday and reached my goal of four runs for the week. Here’s the breakdown:

Week 1 of the Humiliation Challenge
Tuesday – 5.3 miles (Pace: molasses uphill)
Wednesday – 4 miles (Pace: molasses on flat ground)
Saturday – 5 miles (Pace: molasses on slight decline)
Sunday – 3 miles (Pace: geriatric turtle)
Total – 17.3 miles

As you can see, I also reached my goal of a minimum of 17 miles for the week. I did consider running the extra 2.7 miles on Sunday for an even 20 miles, but decided against it for two reasons. One, I just wasn’t up for the extra distance on Sunday, and, two, it’s been a while since I’ve had a weekly mileage in the double digits and I didn’t want to push my luck.

Overall I’m pleased with my progress, but my sucktastic lack of speed has been a bit of a downer. Yes, all my runs have been done at an easy pace, but this easy pace has been a lot slower than my previous easy pace. That’s not good. For the moment I’m trying not to obsess, but it’s difficult because that’s what I do best. Speed is going to have to wait; for now I just need to get firmly back into the running groove again.

Besides running, I enjoyed my last weekend alone in the flat before the return of the housemates sometime this week. Yesterday I met friends at a local pub to watch The Boat Race on a big screen television and spent the rest of the day enjoying the sunshine, which has been significantly increased due to English daylight savings time which happened Saturday night. All in all, it was a good weekend.

All right, folks, that’s it for me. Have a great week. I’ll catch up with you later.

24 comments:

Count of Monte Christo said...

Great job on the 4 runs per week! Never mind about speed. That will appear.
Having said that, I did see a gradual increase in speed in your list.

The sun (and DST) should definitely help you with getting back into the running groove. Btw, very wise not to push the # of miles too hard.

joyRuN said...

Good week! Just want to clarify - geriatric turtle is faster than molasses, right? If so - then good progress in one week too ;)

Marcy said...

You're in your base building period, right? That's what I always tell myself ;-)

RunningLaur said...

Good thing you have the challenge to guilt you into running.

I think that running slowly just lets you get the most out of race fees / all the money you dump into running gear. You're out there using it for a longer time when you're slower. right?

Carolina John said...

i love the geriatric turtle pace. haha, that's too funny!

good job on the milage!

The Laminator said...

Keep up the good work Xenia and I'm pretty sure soon your easy pace won't be so molassy. Enjoy the sunshine!

Amy said...

Isn't it great to finally have some sun? I know what you mean about being s-l-o-w, it can be discouraging. But at least we made it out there!

Thanks for the tips on London running!

Ace said...

It could always be worse. It could be morbidly obese geriatric turtle speed... Its all relative right?

RazZDoodle said...

At least you've seen the better half of 4-5 miles. Nicely done, damnit.

Jamie said...

Nice job on the past weeks mileage. You're building your base and the speed will come back.

Ms. V. said...

Hey I love that your virtual running partners have gotten you out there...

X-Country2 said...

Atta girl! I bet you're faster than a geriatric turtle. :o)

tfh said...

Ooh, molasses on slight decline is my favorite pace. Nice job reaching your goal. It's funny that as soon as you accomplish one thing (four runs a week) of course you have to start obsessing about another (your speed). Contentedly celebrating one's accomplishments? Snort. Right. Obsessing is one of my top talents, too.

Viper said...

Way to achieve goals with the minimum effort. Despite what others might say, that's called efficiency.

MCM Mama said...

Great job getting out there! I'm sure your speed will pick up soon.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

the return of the housemates sometime this week

Woo-hoo!11!

That means more sex posts, right? And new ways of tricking joySashaY into watching simulated sex acts by inflated condoms with her kids, right?

"Come on over here, children, and watch this with me! Mommy wants to scar you for life!"

Because running stories get old but THAT never does!!1!

kelsey said...

come on... I'm SURE you were faster than a turtle! :D

Well, to be fair, I had a pet turtle that was fast as hell as a kid... hmmm.

Mark said...

Way to keep it going!

aron said...

great job getting your 17 miles in!!!

Lily on the Road said...

No need for speed sweetpea! just enjoy...

theloosemoose said...

Seventeen miles? That's awesome! And at least you were never as slow as a geriatric, paralyzed turtle going uphill through molasses. You could kick said turtle's ASS. Go, Xenia!

Marci said...

You are getting it, done, speed will come I'm sure!

carpeviam said...

Hold off on the speed until you're feelin' it. You don't want to risk injury. At least you're out there logging some miles. Way to go!

Fair Weather Runner said...

I just found your blog, it's great. I started running during grad school to stay somewhat sane, it helps! Nice job on your mileage, no worries on speed, I'm still a slowpoke and have been running for years :)