Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Appearances can be deceiving

So last week, TFH called me out on her blog for my double standard when I requested more pics on her blog, specifically those from her wedding. Then both she and Carolina John made various noises on Monday’s post for me to post an occasional pic of myself or, according to TFH, at least a random appendage.

As you may have noticed, I don’t post photos of myself on this here blog. Well, that’s not entirely true. I have posted three photos of myself as a young whippersnapper (here, here and here) and one of my blistered palm from last summer. So I’m not that much of a hypocrite. Right?

Besides the fact that I’m a typical woman and am never happy with my appearance, the main reason I don’t post current photos of myself is because I desire bloggy anonymity. It’s the same reason why I try never to mention which university I attend though I’m sure some of you have already sussed that out from the various details I’ve let slip. Basically, I don’t want anyone here to find out I write this blog otherwise I wouldn’t be able to bitch about them so much. I also don’t want to screw up my future job prospects anymore than I already have.

If it helps any, the only thing of note about my appearance, as you can see in my childhood photos, is that I don’t look Greek. I take after my mother’s side of the family—run-of-the-mill white Americans with English, Scottish, Irish and German ancestry. So when people hear or see my surname and then look at me, I often get: ‘You don’t look Greek.’ Really? Thanks, Captain Obvious, I’ve never heard that before.

So yeah, that’s my deal. I hope that satisfies your curiosity. If not, tough. :)

Hurts so good
Last night I attended yoga again for the first time in two weeks. The regular instructor was away on holiday so instead we had a guy teaching the class. It was definitely interesting. He had us doing more dynamic poses—twists, contortions and precarious balancing. I felt a lot more twinges and aches in my body because of him but it felt good. That sentence has the possibility of being interpreted in a dirty way, but rest assured that was not my intent.

Maybe.

Okay, back to work for me. Have a happy hump day, everyone. I’ll catch up with you when I can.

Later.

26 comments:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

You "forgot" this picture, sister.

How convenient.

Marcy said...

LMAO at G! Ohhh I've seen plenty of pics of you in the adult video section (Yeah I roll in there every now and again . . . and WHAT?! Totally playin)

Carly said...

LMAO!!! Glaven has skills. Ha!

I totally understand the anonymity. Peeps I know in real life read my blog and I find it difficult of write nasty things about them....I still do it though.

Lily on the Road said...

Don't worry about posting pic's! I always say, "leave a little to the imagination". LMAO!!

Count of Monte Christo said...

Heh, you are so right not to post pictures of yourself on your blog. I don't want people to know who I am either. I only posted 2 pictures of myself, both were taken during events with 8000+ participants (without showing a bib #).

Btw, impressive blister! There is nothing like a little (or a lot of) manual labour.

Xenia said...

GQH--How could I have forgotten about my killer abs?! Thanks. :)

RazZDoodle said...

I admire you for holding fast to your anonymity. I blame Vanilla for posting pictures of me after our marathon. Now, I can't even go to work without the papz following me.

raulgonemobile said...

Yeah, I go anonymous too. I've debated posting a pic, but just haven't crossed that line. (I have posted appendage pictures, though)

Mike said...

You don't write Greek, either. Hmmm....

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I have posted a comment at Teh Marcy's that is basically a gloss on YOUR comment because what you meant was not exactly clear and who better to clear THAT up than me and YES THERE IS A NEED TO THANK ME!11!

Roisin said...

See, I put the pictures of me on my blog because they already exist on Facebook.

Plus, I used to look a whole lot worse! True story!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Good choice on the anonymity, sometimes I wish I'd thought to do that!

As it is, if I want to complain about a friend or relative I go to the comments of someone else's blog and do it. Not nearly as satisfying.

nwgdc said...

Wait, Marcy was kidding about you in the Adult Vid section?
[disbelief]That isn't you?[/disbelief]

tfh said...

Actually, I understand completely, and sometimes wish I wouldn't cave. I do try to keep my blog completely anonymous otherwise; however, I think the fact that I've posted photos will ultimately make my blog less interesting. (E.g., I won't feel comfortable sharing hilarious urinating in the sink stories.) So keep on keepin' on, and understand that any pleas to the contrary are merely signs of our love, not peer pressure.

That said, when you return to the states, I will make an effort to hunt you down and catch a glimpse of your adult countenance. Muahahaha!

Jamie said...

Good for you keeping your anonymity. It keeps all the stalkers at bay :)

Viper said...

I don't get the curiosity about what various bloggers look like. I don't care.

Keep the anonymity shroud intact. Cheers.

Jess said...

Well, when the time comes for you and Viper to go into Witness Protection, you'll be well-concealed already. Plus, it's always beneficial to maintain an aura of mystery.

Blyfinn said...

I completely understand "your deal". I don't bitch enough on my blog to require anonymity.

Carolina John said...

Take THAT sista --insert jabbing motion here-- I just posted a whole slew of race pics of myself. You can keep your anonymity. I learned a long time ago not to be embarrassed by things that would normally be embarrasing. like a ton of race pics. Or publicly complaining about someone.

[calming] using your own image helps the reader identify with whom they are befriending. Just like meeting someone face to face makes you feel like you have established a connection with someone else, seeing a picture puts a face with the words and helps establish a more human and less electronic connection with readers.

Since I work at home (no coworkers, just wife and kids) and have no outside social life (again, wife and kids tend to suck up the time) bloggy friends are the only other social connection I make. and i don't like to judge people negatively on physical appearance. Did you see me in a wetsuit? what was i just saying about embarrassing?..... again, i was just prompting for a connection. privately emailing me nude photos would accomplish the same goal. I kid, i kid.

X-Country2 said...

I think I lasted about 2 posts before I posted pictures of myself. I was all "look at meeeee!" :o)

Ms. V. said...

That reminds me I need to take my pic off my blog. I put it on originally for a work thingy, and I wish I could change the name, etc...

Considering I'm soon to be out of work, it matters little.

Love the tiger thingy.

theloosemoose said...

Anonymity is probably smart. It's a well known fact that blog readers/writers are all psychotic stalkerish types. (I believe that's why you left Rome the week before Mr. Moose and I arrived! Smart thinking, that.)

Ted said...

It is smart of you. With all due respect, this is truly a crazy world we live in. It will definitely keep the lurkers out of sight.

chia said...

Anyone that is that interested in what you look like probably isn't intending to be all that great of a friend anyways.

No one likes me anyways so I figure "why not" throw a few pics out there :-).

Posting real race times is actually more of an anonomousity killer than anything anyways.

joyRuN said...

LMAO at XC2 - that's me too!

You'd think I'd be more careful, especially with the kiddies.

But I figure if Teh Marcy does it, peeps can go stalk her instead ;)

Cowboy Hazel said...

Hahaha, great photo. And, I totally get your desire for blogger anonymity. I wish I had been so smart when setting up my blog. I feel terribly censored at times knowing that the people I'd most like to bitch about could drop by whenever they want simply by Googling my name...