Wednesday, 29 April 2009

A Day I'm Never Getting Back

Monday sucked. Hardcore. I hated Monday with a deeper passion than I do mayonnaise, screaming children, cleaning the bathroom and Cameron Diaz.

Entry for the 2010 Virgin London Marathon ballot began at 9 am on Monday. I made sure I was awake and the laptop fired up by 8:30. I wanted to make sure my ballot was in asap since I didn’t know how soon the ballot would fill up. I also wanted to get it out of the way so I could get on with the rest of my day.

Yeah, that would have been nice.

Obviously I was not the only one with this genius plan. To say the website was slow is an understatement. Hell, just trying to get on the website was the problem. The refresh button on my web browser and I became well acquainted with one another. Slowly, but steadily I was making my way through the entry process. My dedication was so strong I even brought my laptop with me into the bathroom for my potty breaks and into the kitchen for meals. Yes, that’s meals, the plural. Thankfully we have wireless at the house or that could have been really awkward.

Moving on...

During this time, I also managed to get some work done—Italian study, organizing my to-do lists, etc. A couple of times I even fired off emails to a friend to let her know why I wasn’t in the office. She wrote back wondering if she should try to enter the ballot as well. I replied with a ‘Hell yes!’ but with a warning about how cruddy the site was being because of the demand. She wrote back saying she probably shouldn’t do it, because she should be focusing on finishing her dissertation so no time for training. Eh, it’s not stopping me any.

At the 5 hour 38 minute mark, when I was two clicks away from finishing my ballot entry, the entire website shut down and displayed this message:

Due to unprecedented demand for marathon places, this website is currently unavailable. Please try again later today or tomorrow.

You’ve got to be f*cking kidding me. I wasted all that time to just about get to the end of the process and the whole thing shuts down?!? Bloody hell! The kicker was yet to come though. Immediately I emailed my friend to let her know the sitch, but see she has already written me. Her email said this:

‘It took me an hour, but I got in the ballot!’

I cannot express to you the amount of rage I had coursing through my body at that moment. One measly f*cking hour and she’s in the ballot. Five and a half hours for me and bupkis. What. The. F*ck.

I then packed up my gear, left the house and headed to the department. As per my luck for the day, the once clear skies decided to not only dump buckets of rain on my head for the jaunty six block walk, it also threw in some hail as well. I entered the door of the department a sopping wet, angry mess, my jeans plastered to my legs all the way to the tops of my thighs. And it was all capped off with a humidified afro atop my head. (I was wearing my hooded rain jacket, hence the hair-do.)

I proceeded to spend the next three and a half hours there trying to get some work done but also checking the website every few minutes to see if it was back up again. Nada. Finally, I caved and left, grabbing some not too healthy chinese food before heading home.

I bitched with the flatmates about the shitey-ness of my day and finally headed up to my room for one last go before hitting the sack.

So finally, at 10:20 pm that evening, I completed and submitted my ballot successfully for the London Marathon. And it only took me 13 hours and 20 minutes. I could run three marathons in that time. Most of you could run four or more.

I better f*cking get in.

The truly sad part for me though? The ballot isn’t full yet and the website is working perfectly today. I could have saved myself all that trouble and just waited. But as you can see, patience is not one of my virtues. More’s the pity.

So there. Whether it was karma or just plain bad luck, that was the shittiest Monday I’ve had in a long while. Whatever the reason I was cursed with that day, I hope my slate has been wiped clean now. Otherwise, I’m going to have to kill someone. And Richard Branson, you’d be target #1. I’ve given you fair warning.

Happy hump day, everyone.

38 comments:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

First!1! Woo-hoo! I beat Xenia!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Sorry about your sh*tty Monday, sister, but at least it was a Monday, which already come pre-suckituded, so maybe this past Monday took your whole week's allotment of suck and dumped it on you at once and now you'll have a great week.

And anyway, it could've been worse. You could've been made Jabba-the-Hutt's sex slave, like a certain other running blogger who shall remain Vanilla.

Carolina John said...

mondays always suck. i have hated them for a long time. still, my bad mondays aren't usually that frustrating. i hear you sister, and ah feel your pain.

Theresa said...

Wow, what a truly craptastic day! I'll be crossing my fingers that you get!

Lily on the Road said...

OMFG, the tears are streaming down my face, I had to leave my desk to use the lo to fix my makeup...BBWWAAhhhAAAAAA!

Truly, I'm sorry you had a *F**ktastic Monday!!!! Sounds like something that would happen to me...maybe we are related!!

Hey, do you want to waste a day and enter me? JK.....

OMG, I'm still laughing (but not AT you)....hahahahah

Theresa said...

..in, I'll be crossing my fingers that you get in. Sigh..

Kristina said...

1. Just the competition to get in makes me want to enter the ballot, too. Must restrain self.
2. That first photo of Vanilla qua Leia is divine. He needs to ditch the gorilla suit in favor of that get-up.
3. You have no idea how many times I've imagined reenacting Run Lola Run. I even bought green capri pants to do it. Just need to Docs. Some day...

Kristina said...

I just entered a ballot.

Marcy said...

OOoohhhh man that stinks. You have some dedication there chica! If your bf (or man servant, pool boy, whatever) was over and he wanted to have sexy times would the laptop be with then? Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers for you!

You know what else I noticed, I named my kids after 2 people you hate HAHAHAA.

tfh said...

Just reading that made me want to put my fist through my cubicle "wall", smash my monitor to bits, and hurl my keyboard across the room in shared fury. Hope your week becomes considerably less shitty.

Jess said...

I think Richard Branson owes you flight to your choice destination after that hassle!

Ace said...

This is just a sign that the marathon itself is going to be great! OK /endoptimism. I hate crappy websites....

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Hey, do you want to waste a day and enter me? ...

Um ... I think Lily on the Road is coming on to you.

... and i think she must think you're a dude ...

Nitmos said...

It'll all be worth it once you are in pain and misery and running the marathon, right! Right?

RazZDoodle said...

I, too, am familiar with my refresh button, but for different types of websites. I digress.

Jamie said...

i laugh only because i've been there. hopefully your week has improved since that fiasco!

Merry said...

Five hours???Karma owes you a fantastic marathon after all that. (Except aren't those two words a contradiction in terms?)

carpeviam said...

Ugh! I have no patience either and I would've done the same thing the day of. In fact, I have. But, for concerts. I'm crossing my fingers for you to get in. I heard it's a long process to wait...August? So much for patience. ;)

Roisin said...

I'm thinking about entering the ballot as well, since the family keeps begging me to come on over for another race. It's no guarantee that you get in though, correct?

MCM Mama said...

OOOH I hate it when that happens. I had a similar problem trying to get into the 10K I wanted to do this summer, except I ended up having to leave and not getting in.

Hope it works out for you.

Count of Monte Christo said...

Mondays usually suck but yours sounds like a Monday from hell. Refreshing a website for 13+ hours had better earn you a place in the marathon.

We will see in ?too many? months.

Ms. V. said...

Awww. Mondays do suck.

X-Country2 said...

Ha! That race OWES you a PR!

raulgonemobile said...

God, I hate those days where it's just a big long f*ckup, all day long.

Hope you get in!

Carly said...

That is a crap day! I hope the marathon gods are nice and you get a spot in the race.

joyRuN said...

Branson should compensate you for that day. @$$hole can afford it.

Branson also owes you a slot in that marathon!

Heather said...

I really hope you get in after all that drama!

Ted said...

I do happen to know that London Marathon is the most popular race in the WORLD. From what I have heard, it is , indeed, very difficult to get in. My fingers and toes crossing that you get in. One of the best thing about London Marathon is that you can get to see the Queen waving from the balcony. *eyes rolling up*

theloosemoose said...

I bet you get in. And months from now when you're at Mile 22 bloody from chafe, with legs as heavy as Trajan's column you'll remember just how much you wanted this.

And you'll ask, "What the F*CK is WRONG with me?!?!?"

Cowboy Hazel said...

Oh man, that sucks. At least you got in though! If it makes you feel any better, the same exact thing happened to me this year on the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile run and it turned out to be an amazing race -- definitely worth all the hassle. Hopefully London 2010 will be as good for you.

The Laminator said...

You are one persistent marathon woman. Let's hope you get due reward for all your diligence. Fingers crossed you'll get in.

Run For Life said...

That would have pissed the hell out of me, too. You better get in! I hope the rest of your week has been considerably better so far.

P.O.M. said...

That seriously sucks.
But you're damn funny.

Irish Cream said...

Look at it this way . . . if you get in (fingers crossed for you!), the marathon itself will be a cakewalk. When you're hurting at mile-21, you'll be all like, "I could quit--but think of the hell I had to go through to get here!"

lifestudent said...

Generally I have found that if I have to put up with a load of crap to get something, it either A) doesnt happen or if it does B) wasnt worth it.

Now I just dont make any effort and things seem better. I'm hoping your luck is better than mine :)

carpeviam said...

Also, too, I loathe Cameron Diaz and her duck face.

Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Look out Richard Branson that's all I gotta say too.

Meg said...

I put my ballot in too!!! Two of my favorite people just moved back to Leeds (they were here for two years), so I want to run London and visit them. They say they (Flora organizers) love foreigners, so hopefully it works out!