Monday, 20 April 2009

Exploring England

This past weekend my travel companion and I logged in over eight hours of driving and nary an accident occurred, though there was copious amounts of swearing and general vulgarity being tossed around. And that was just when we were talking to one another. All in all, it was a great trip though too short as is often the case.

The whole point of the weekend getaway was to attend a friend’s wedding bash up north. Because I don’t travel nearly enough within England, I tried to see if there was any place fun to visit near to our destination. And by fun I mean anything hella old and British. And there was! And no, it wasn’t the Queen.

We spent Saturday afternoon traipsing around Lyme Park, an impressive English mansion set amidst beautiful gardens and the vast expanse of the Peak District National Park. The place was simply gorgeous and had some of the best views I’ve ever seen. And, for my fellow Austen fans, this was the location where they filmed the Pemberley scenes in the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. Here are some pics:



Sadly, I did not catch sight of a wet shirt-clad Colin Firth while walking around the lake. Bummer.


As for running, well, things haven’t been going so swimmingly. I’ve been pretty busy lately and with the weekend away, I only logged two runs last week for a total of six miles. Instead of employing my fuzzy math again to justify myself for the humiliation challenge, I’m just going to take a big fat fail for last week and start fresh for this last week of the challenge. We’re supposed to be having some great weather here for the next few days and I plan on taking advantage of it.

Other than that, I have huge amounts of work to do, so I better get back to it. I hope you all have a great week ahead. Please think happy thoughts for our fellow runners taking on the Boston marathon today like Carpe Viam, the Laminator, Frayed Laces and Nitmos’ friend (yes, it would appear that he actually has one) the Hello Kitty Runner.

Later gators.

24 comments:

Merry said...

I think running around is still exercise. Now, if you'd spent the weekend on the couch exercising the remote control, then I'd say you should feel guilty.

... a wedding up north...Theresa???? Anything we should know here???

X-Country2 said...

Pretty sure running takes a back seat to a possible Colin Firth spotting.

Roisin said...

Gah....Pemberely...I'm just about as jealous as I can be right now. BBC version of P&P is the bestest, by the way.

We all have bad running weeks. I'm hoping to start fresh this week myself. Just let last week go and try to focus on the next week. You can do it!

RazZDoodle said...

HA!

Ace said...

Awesome Englishness.

Starting fresh ftw! You wouldn't after all want to suffer any more castigation in the form of random "Ha!"s would you?

tfh said...

Pretty pictures. Now if only you could stick a telltale foot in them, or a lock of hair, or something of yourself for us to delight over...

Viper said...

Great weather in England? I don't believe it.

Theresa said...

Mary - What? No, no, no, no, no, nononono. Not me.

Although Sunday may have been the best day to have a wedding that will happen all year.

Xenia - I'm rather glad that your running hasn't been going swimmingly, because to run swimmingly, well, that just sounds like you might injure yourself.

Count of Monte Christo said...

It's important to have fun, in addition to running ;-)

P&P is Great. Not a year goes by without at least two P&P "marathons" (The Missus is warming up to the series).

I love the pics.

Ms. V. said...

Beautiful pics!

Carolina John said...

boy those pics are great! but i still think you should put a pic of yourself up every once in a while. glad you had safe travels.

Jamie said...

So pretty! Sounds like a fun weekend, running can wait...

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Cool pix, sister! Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Ted said...

Beautiful National Geographic-like pictures !!! Simply breathtaking. I can picture myself running through English countryside. Sounds like you had a blast.

MCM Mama said...

Great pictures! Sounds like a fun weekend!

M2Marathon said...

I am pretty sure fantasizing about Colin Firth is going to sustain me through my next long run...as well as an upcoming 8-hour car ride. TY! And beautiful pictures!!

Marci said...

Love those pics!

chia said...

Great shots chica!! Glad you're getting out and about over there!

MizFit said...

dont always comment but always read and *always* live vicariously and filled with more than a little jealous.

*sigh*

The Laminator said...

Cool pics. Thanks for the cheers, Xenia! Heard them all the way from Boston.

Nitmos said...

You may not be running as much but you certainly provide some of the best pictures in the RBF. Bully for that! (That's English slang, isn't it?)

Irish Cream said...

Wow, great pics! And as for the lack of runs . . . totally understandable. You couldn't risk running right past Colin Firth and failing to notice!

raulgonemobile said...

Nice pics!

Yeah, some weeks, it just doesn't happen. No worries.

theloosemoose said...

Beautiful pictures!!