Tuesday, 14 April 2009

Half Fail, Half Win

All right, I didn’t get four runs in last week. I got in three for a total of 17 miles, but I had to apply my fuzzy logic again and include yesterday’s run in last week’s total. This again is half-assedly justified since last week’s running didn’t start until Wednesday.

Here’s the official breakdown:

Wednesday – 5 miles
Saturday – 5 miles
Monday – 7.1 miles
Total – 17.1 miles

To break the cycle of my asinine justifications, I promise to run four times this week (not including yesterday’s run) by the end of the day on Sunday. That should catch me up and set me up well for the last week of the humiliation challenge. Not that I’m worried since my partner in crime is kicking ass and taking names whilst our competition is floundering and whinging like the little pansy that he is. Haha!

The Win portion of last week’s running refers not only to me getting in my minimum of 17 miles for the week, but also because I experienced a breakthrough with my running. On Saturday, I kept putting off my planned 5-miler because of the crappy weather. For once my dithering paid off and the sky cleared by late afternoon. Even then my morale was still rather low so I dropped my expectations down to getting in a quick three-miler. But once I got out there, everything fell into place. I felt great, the weather was fabulous and there weren’t that many people in the park for me to want to maim in one way or another. I felt so good I decided to go the full five and even ran a half dozen fartleks. This is the first time I’ve done speedwork since the beginning of February. I had such a runner’s high that day and it only got better afterward when I figured out my mile pace. One of my fastest all year. Amazing.

Sadly that high didn’t translate to running on Sunday as I was overstuffed with Easter lunch and too much chocolate, but eh, you win some, you lose some. I also spent a good deal of time on the phone on Sunday talking to the family back home and getting grilled about when I’m finishing my degree and moving back to the states. Ah family. Can’t live with them, can’t slap them upside the head through a phone wire.

Okay, that’s it for me. Back to the world of deadlines. Hope everyone had a not-too-painful Monday. I’ll catch up with you all later.

P.S.—I’m working at home today and watching one of our crackhead neighbor’s friends perform his morning tai chi ritual in the back garden. Is it wrong that I wish a bird would fly by and poop on his head? Probably.

21 comments:

joyRuN said...

First?!

joyRuN said...

I love those amazing runs - helps get me out there in the first place, in pursuit of that feeling :)

Mmmm... chocolate - I need to bring all this chocolate loot to work & outta my house. Taper time's NOT the time to engorge & gain 302389571948579 pounds.

Marcy said...

Ahhhh yes I love me some good running. Unfortunately I'm working with a 1:10 ratio on those. Bleck!

OK seriously what is up with the tai chi people?! A couple weeks back I took the girls to the park and they have a section where it goes into the woods. Well, the girls decide they want to go off the path and more into the woods (the thinking was I could get them deep in there and then turn around and run out :P) so we do and we get a bit in and there is a dude with his shirt off and short short short, shorts in the middle of no freaking where doing tai chi. I was just like "WTF is this?!?" It actually kinda creeped me out so I rounded up the chickens and busted our butts back on the path LOL

The Laminator said...

Congrats on the semi-win, Xenia! 17 miles for the week is not bad...there's a half-marathon in there somewhere and much better than you-know-who?

Hope you had a happy Easter weekend!

Lily on the Road said...

17 miles sounds great to me!!

raulgonemobile said...

Nothing wrong with 17..

There's a guy at work that does Tai Chi in the parking lot at lunch time.. the bird poop idea cracks me up, though. I wonder if they'd roll with it or not.. hrmmm

RunningLaur said...

I wonder if the bird poop would hit him or just cruise around his chi aura.

Yay for a perfect run on Saturday too.

Jess said...

Hahah I think it'd be hilarious watching him get pooped on! Nice job on the running!

X-Country2 said...

17 plus an extra credit running day totally counts as a successful week.

Girl power!!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Hahahaha!! ZOMG!1! joyRuB is engorged?

I didn't even know she had a penis!1!

Hahahaha! No wonder she changed the name of her blog to "The Crying Game"!

Ah family. Can’t live with them, can’t slap them upside the head through a phone wire.You slap your family upside the head over dial-up?

Man, and people make fun of me for connecting to the internet at home via dial-up.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

O, by the way ...

Way to ENABLE Teh Marcy in her decision to retire by offering her use of YOUR blog!

ENABLER!

tfh said...

Fartlek! Great job. When ARE you coming back to the states? They're just not the same without you.

P.S. One of my high school teachers once demonstrated tai chi for us. I tried really hard to be respectful, but I was surrounded by my fellow sixteen year olds and I think our laughter crushed her more than poop would have.

Carolina John said...

nice job on the 17 miles! keep it up. i'm crying over marcy.

Nitmos said...

Is beating RazZ really a win though? That's like when I beat up 2nd graders...I do it but I really don't feel like I accomplished anything.

Jamie said...

Great job on 17 for the week! Yay for an awesome Saturday run.

Ms. V. said...

Xenia, you crack me up. OH, and Tai Chi is really so NOT a workout.

I love it when they stroke the pony though. I think that's the term. Yeah, I'm going with that.

MCM Mama said...

Yay for a good run! LMAO at the thought of Tai Chi guy getting pooped on!

Your 17 miles trumps my wimpy week last week.

carpeviam said...

Ugh. All that Easter chocolate goes right to the pit of the stomach. That heavy chocolate feeling has to let up before a run. But, way to go on the 7.1 mile long run! At least you're getting some runs in.

aron said...

17 miles is a good thing!! great job :)

Count of Monte Christo said...

17 miles is a good weekly avg! Very well done!

Tai Chi is great fun to watch when done by old Chinese people in a park somewhere in Shanghai. A weird-@ss neighbor doing Tai Chi does take some of the fun away ;-)

Roisin said...

I'm usually pretty excited to eclipse 17 miles in a week, so go you! And good work with the return to speed work. It's a bitch, but it does work.