Friday, 15 May 2009

Boo-boo

I am one big bruise. The combination of strength training, finally getting back to body combat class for the first time this year, and a new sadistic yoga instructor have left me feeling like I’ve had the snot beaten out of me. My arms are perpetually sore, my inner thighs are screaming (and not in the good way) and the place where my abs should be hurts like a mo-fo. Laughing hurts, coughing hurts and sneezing REALLY hurts. Thank god I’m not sick or I’d be in intense pain all day. At least now if I hold myself still enough, I feel fine.

As per my current motto, I’m starting small and building slowly with strength training. Last week I began week 1 of the push-up challenge (for something like the 4th time) and week 3 of the sit-up (actually crunch) challenge. I apparently did well enough in the sit-up pre-challenge test to skip the first two weeks. My abdominal area wishes I hadn’t.

This week I’m still going strong with both challenges and have added in three sets of chair dips to each session. If I’m not feeling on the verge of death later today then I’ll head off to body pump class at the gym.

On the running front, I got in a 5-miler yesterday morning. I’d set the bar low at 3 miles when I first went out but then felt so good I kept going. Saturday I’m set for another short easy run and then it’s a 10K race on Sunday. I’m praying most of the soreness has gone by then, but probably not knowing my luck. For the race I’m shooting for a 10-minute per mile pace for a 1:02:00 finish. Maybe the running dead will be there again to pace me like she did last year. I can but hope.

And finally, I leave you all with the song that has been stuck in my head this morning since it was the first thing to play on my ipod when I left the house. Enjoy.



Have a great weekend, everyone. Catch you later.

26 comments:

Count of Monte Christo said...

Getting fit sounds painful!
Still, great to hear all is going according to plan (sorry about all the suffering though)

Great run!

Have an excellent race on Sunday.

(btw, thanks for planting that song into my head... :-| )

Runner Tammy said...

Wow...sorry about the pain, I remember how getting in "running shape" was so painful after a winter off. Now I refuse to get out of running shape.

I have started the sit up challenge about 10 times (just this year along). I get 3-5 days then wonder why I need a good core or abs of steel.

In fact I query my husband if it okay if I have abs of jelly and he suggests it is okay. Maybe if he said he would drop me like yesterdays news I would be more motivated...or else I would just beat the crap out of him. Of course with my super strong marathoner legs, because I'm like a twig and have no stregth in my upper body:-)

Good luck on Sat and with your exercise regime!

Carolina John said...

that body combat class does sound painful. Unless you were combatting Glaven, in which case he would be the only one in pain.

hope your healing is quick and clean. have a great weekend.

Calyx Meredith said...

Good luck on the 10K! It's my new least favorite distance but if I had a chance of reaching your goal time, it might not be. :D

Roisin said...

I cannot have that song stuck in my head all day, so I am not listening. LA LA LA LA LAAAAA...

I hope the soreness goes away soon. I hate that feeling because you're screwed for just about everything else you want to. Good luck with the 10K. You can definitely hit the 10:00 pace...just don't be tempted to speed up too soon!

Marcy said...

Damn and I was thinking it was all due to a man whore. Well at least get a man whore to give you a nice massage ;-)

Spike said...

seriously, you have to watch out for those yoga instructors. I've been wrecked the day after and left wondering how yoga’esk my desire to punch my instructor in a fit of retaliation is.

Merry said...

Congratulations on the pushups and situps... and dips and whips and Lordie girl what all have you been up to? I'm impressed!

RazZDoodle said...

Hey, what a great idea. I should put a song that gets stuck in my head on Fridays, too. Oh wait.

All is well. Just dealing with some end of school year B.S. and another issue. It'll probably make one helluva post in June.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Wait. Was Teh Marcy's comment aimed at me?

I think it might have been because ...

Man - check.

Whore - check.

Who else could she mean?

See, she zings me way better than Carolina Cletus ever could because she's low-key, whereas Cletus is all like "Lemme tell ya - YEE-HAW! - how this hyar applies to thet thar Glaven feller!"

But Teh Marcy is subtle.

Subtle like a n*ts@ck.

And smoove.

Smoove like the Phil Collins' baldy pate.

Which also kinda resembles a n*ts@ck.

(I took 2 Valium before writing this.)

tfh said...

As an official push-up challenge drop-out, I can only admire all your physical activity by mustering up a grimace-- ouch. I hurt from reading this. Good luck with your 10k!

Jamie said...

hopefully the soreness passes quickly. good luck in your 10k!

The Laminator said...

Have fun on your 10K...I'm doing one tomorrow too...except there won't be anyone to pace me! Have a great weekend.

Nitmos said...

Starting slowly? Damn, sounds like you dived (dove?) right in. Does it hurt to blink?

nwgdc said...

Start slow, and taper off towards the finish.

Oh yeah, and I think IT'S GLAVEN'S BIRTHDAY TODAY!!

jawsome said...

I do love that song, but that video is SCARY. I know Phil Collins is kind of a weirdo, but damn.

theloosemoose said...

Tonight I will have nightmares of a claymation Phil Collins shrieking at you while you do endless amounts of push ups and sit ups. Just as you're on the verge of death your father comes in and forces Phil to marry your spinster sister. When Phil graciously declines, your dad cusses him out in Greek and sprays Windex in his eyes.

carpeviam said...

Ooh, I love the ab challenge. I'm an admitted ab whore, myself, so any ab workout is inticing to me.

Marci said...

Good for you for all of that cross training, I need to kick into gear in that aspect. Have a great w/e!

Blyfinn said...

I always liked the pain due to it made me feel like I was really doing something.

Jess said...

You're like a machine!

Irish Cream said...

Damn, girl! You've been busy! Which reminds me that I should really be doing more of this stuff. Buuuut, maybe I'll just read about you doing it, and that will work. Yup, sounds like a plan! Good stuff--keep it up! And good luck in the 10K!

chia said...

Inner thighs have the ability to hurt in a "good way?"

*thinking*

Ouch. No other way to put it but... ouch!

Good for you training so hard girly!! Good luck at the 10K!

Run For Life said...

Just imagine in a few weeks you'll be thinking, "this was making THAT sore?!"

Hope you got your 10k goal!

MCM Mama said...

Great job getting in all those workouts! I totally need to get back on the strength training bandwagon...

Frayed Laces said...

Wise Garfield once said:

No pain, no gain.

Is body combat like mortal combat?