Wednesday, 13 May 2009

Getting up there

Baby tempo run #1 for this year is in the bag. The plan was to run a total of 5K with the tempo part being a brief 0.9 mile loop in the middle. My slow-ass was praying for a sub-10 minute per mile pace which means I needed to complete the loop in less than 9 minutes. (I state this for those who are mathematically-impaired).

The result?

8:10.

That’s a 9:04 mile pace, folks. That’s pretty impressive for me. What’s not so impressive is the part of my left lung that was left out on the trail somewhere. Not exactly a tempo run per se. Next week’s 1.1 mile attempt will hopefully be completed in a more reasonable (for me) 9:45ish pace. Here’s to hoping.

Throwing in the towel
As you may or may not have noticed, I haven’t been commenting on a lot of blogs. That’s because I’m super busy again. My Google Reader taunted me last night with 322 unread posts. I couldn’t take it anymore and finally pressed ‘Marks All As Read’.

Besides the core group of blogs I’ve been reading since I started blogging, I also try to read those of the people who visit and comment at Diggin’ It, but I just can’t keep up anymore. Reading takes up a huge chunk of time and then trying to come up with a halfway thoughtful comment eats up more of my time. I’m sorry, but I just can’t do this right now. Maybe I’ll be able to be super present in the RBF blogosphere once I’ve finished my degree. And before I finally get a teaching post when I may be forced into bloggy retirement. We’ll see. Until then, please except my apologies. And please don’t forsake me and my blog. I crave your attention and approval. I’m needy like that.

Family matters
To try to end this post on a funnier note, I thought I’d let you all get a little peak into my family’s screwed up dynamic. Recently, my sister Z was visiting our dad in NE. My sister is only 18 months older than myself (though she looks barely past the legal drinking age) and is unmarried. She currently has a boyfriend with definite long-term potential (if he ever removes his head from his ass—I’m going to make a great sister-in-law, don’t you think), but we try not to mention this to our dad as he is a very meddlesome sort of person.

So during this visit, my dad manages to trick my sister into going for a car ride with him. This enables our dad to lecture/badger/question us at length in a confined space since there’s no way for us to extricate ourselves from the situation unless we want to exit a moving vehicle. Believe me, we’ve thought about it.

Anyhoo, my dad turns to my sister and manages to unintentionally paraphrase the opening scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding by saying this:

‘You know, you getting up there. Just get it done, okay.’

Our lovely but archaic Greek father has been pestering my sister to get married for years and now he’s finally down to using the age card. She’s not even officially 32 yet, but dad still has the Greek village mindset where many girls (at least in his time and before) were married off around the age of 16.

The trials of having an old school foreign parent. Makes for decent blog fodder though.

All right, that’s it for me. Hope you all have a happy hump day. Later gators.

29 comments:

Merry said...

Me first? Really?

Merry said...

Woo hoo! Oh, the heady ecstasy of this moment.

Doesn't quite rank up there with that incredibly blazing fast speed of little miss zippy here. That's awesome!

Count of Monte Christo said...

Don't worry, we will be here to read your posts ;-)

Yeah, blogging (and all that goes with it) does take a lot of time. I am beginning to notice the same at the moment (my posts are getting shorter).

Just focus on the things that need to be done, that is the main thing.

I loved it My Big Fat Greek Wedding! Your father paraphrasing quotes from the movie must have some effect on the sister.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Man, I hear you on that keeping-up-with-the-blogs rant, sister. And some of these bloggers (I'm thinking that guy Glaven, here) - it's like they ate a dictionary and take a word-turd DUMP every morning in the blogosphere because they go ON and ON and ON and never even SAY anything!

And you're supposed to READ all that and make a comment other than Shut TeH F*ck Up!1! JUST SHUT IT!1! ...

Am I misreading the rest of your post, or are you subtly trying to pimp out your sister, sister? Because 32 is a bit old for my tastes (especially Greek 32, because she's got that mustache by now, doesn't she, sister?) — but I might be willing t take her off your and your Dad's hands. It depends. How many goats in her dowry?

More to the point ... Are the goats cute? (I don't mean Greek-cute; I mean cute-cute.)

joyRuN said...

Great job on your speedy baby tempo run girl! Don't worry about the left lung - you still have the right one.

Har! That's what I do to my brother when I want to play all big-sister on him - I corral him into a moving vehicle just him & I ;)

Works beautifully.

Jess said...

It's understandable to cut back on reading and commenting. It is incredibly time consuming.

That's hilarious about your dad corraling your sister. Does he also believe that Windex cures everything?

MissAllycat said...

I DO love a good "pushy parent" story. Glad I'm not alone! :)

Kristina said...

Ok, clearly your priorities are out of whack. Take it from one who knows. You don't give up blogland for academia; you give up academia for blogland.
Does the ivory tower give you free detergent and give you mad snaps for running a mile in 9 minutes? I rest my case.

Lily on the Road said...

hahaha Kristina, crack me up.

Good job on the speedy run ~ good job....You can't quit blogging just because you're busy.

WE'RE ALL BUSY!

If you do, I'll threaten to come and sit on your lawn like I did Marcy!!

The choice is up to you of course, LOL...besides, I'd miss you too much and our fireside chats!

Roisin said...

Feel free to not comment, but you MUST keep blogging...Diggin' It is too good to lose.

Good luck with finished up your degree! And congrats on the speedy run. That's where it starts...and you'll only get faster! Just give it time.

Marcy said...

LMAO at Kristina! I hear you chica! Reading and commentary does eat a lot of time. High fivers for laying down the law.

I like these foreign parents stories it makes me feel like I'm not alone HAHA! Have you ever gotten the "You can't be a whore . . .no man will EVER marry you . . you have to stay a virgin before marriage" speech? God bless my pinay mommacita. No wonder I'm whack.

Spike said...

excellent mini-tempo run. and you can't quit blogging, you just have to get graduate students to do your 'real work' while you act all professor-y.

Ah, the 'might as well be the one your dating, I don't really care just give me grandchildren' talk...priceless.

Marci said...

I agree with you about commenting. I have had to cut back as well, so we all totally understand. I will continue reading, I enjoy reading about your adventures! :)

Ace said...

Clearly the trade off of one lung for a 9:04 mile is well worth it. Well done.

tfh said...

Great job on the run! Reading blogs does get overwhelming. Do what you need to do. And your poor dad, saddled with two old maids. I say it's his fault for not equipping the both of you with better dowries.

Carolina John said...

it's all good baby. bloggy things take tons of time, and you better create thoughtful posts or else!!

good job on the tempo. that's really fast.

chia said...

Check out the speed on you hot stuff :-)!!! Great job, good luck on the next!

Your dad is so cute :-). Reminds me of my grandma going "you really should find a good man to take care of you."

Like what, hire a hitman? Really?

Lauren said...

My brother just gave me the "you need to get married soon if you want to have kids" speech. I'm 27 and don't particularly want kids. So weird. He's only 28, by the way. I guess when my mom was my age, she was already on her second marriage and had 3 kids, so I am behind.

Different worlds. Congrats on the speedy .9 miles. I would have lost both lungs.

Viper said...

No way. This is a quid pro quo world. Besides, there are very few of the above commenters above actually worth reading and fewer below.

MCM Mama said...

Great job on the tempo! And totally LOL at your father!

Run For Life said...

Yay for the tempo run! Hopefully you'll pick up a new lung before the next one.

I think we've all done the "mark all as read" thing before, no worries!

Your dad is so subtle, lol!

aron said...

its crazy how time consuming blogging can be... luckily i sit at a comp ALL day long and it keeps me occupied or distracted when i need a break from work. sometimes though its just overwhelming!

nice job on the tempo run :)

Blyfinn said...

I had that issue a while back about not getting around to commenting on blogs. The number got way to high and overwhelming. I just went and read the most recent post.

Jamie said...

Nice job at your first tempo run :)

Reading and commenting is very time consuming. Luckily I can disregard my job most days to read! Though I do have times where I look at google reader and mark all as read too.

nwgdc said...

it's weird to think off all the blogs that have died already, and all those that will begin and will never be read by you on your brief but THRILLING tour here in bloggor.
and talk about speaking the truth...glaven's comment about Word Turds on a daily basis is so true! WTF kind of idea was that to start a BLOGATHON??

Calyx Meredith said...

If we give you more mad snaps for your super speediness, will you stay??? *snapping wildly, madly even* Commenting is optional, posting is not. :D

And your dad? At least he didn't throw your sister an "Old Maid" party when she turned 25 like my friend's father did for her. 25! WTF?

Nitmos said...

I say you reply to other posts here at your site just to save time. Hit everyone at once.

"Everyone who ran and set a PR, Congratulations!"

Those that are disappointed,"Better luck next time!"

All others, "What a funny and/or insightful thing you just said!"

There, that should cover it.

Ted said...

I do know that reading long post and doing the commentary thing is time consuming. We are all busy these days. I just do the best I can.

Glaven's comment is quite hilarious.

carpeviam said...

Don't leave blog land. I implore you. You keep G grounded.

Best to you. Hang in there.