Monday, 18 May 2009

Race Report: Town & Gown 10K

It had rained early in the morning on Sunday, but I trotted to the start line in decent weather. However, just a bare minute before the race started, the skies opened up and continued to chuck it down for the next half an hour. I think I gained an extra kilo in weight with the water retention in my hair and clothes. Lovely.

My pacing was all over the place, so I gave up looking at my watch at the 4K mark. The last 3K were in the park I usually run in which had the prospect of being very motivating for me, but instead was not. The rain, which thankfully had stopped by this point, had created huge puddles and muddy trail conditions. Also, we had to loop back and forth about three times, so I could see the finish line from the 8K mark on which was just sheer torture—so close yet so far. I lost a lot of momentum at this point, but somehow pulled it together for a good finishing kick where I passed at least a half dozen other runners.

I crossed the finish at 1:04:xx, over a minute slower than my PR. My lack of drive to push myself during the race just solidifies the fact that I do not possess a killer instinct. At least not right now. Instead of beating myself up over not reaching the goal I had set for myself (as per my usual), I savored the achievement of just running another race and scoring another medal. My non-PR time was the result of having prioritized other areas of my life over running in recent months and that’s just fine. I guess you can say I currently have the ‘I like shiny things’ mentality. It’s not a bad one to have sometimes.

As I was walking home after the race, a very proper older English lady was walking towards me. Noting my race bib, she looked at me and, with a very stern expression on her face, said, ‘I hope you did well.’

I laughed, grinned from ear to ear, and replied, ‘Yes, thank you, I did.’

Culture Club
Saturday was the Eurovision song contest. Each country submits a pop song. The entries get whittled down to 25 which are then all performed live on one night. Immediately following the performances is a call-in vote in each country. The results are tallied and a Eurovision champion is declared.

This is big shit in Europe. My sister was living in Athens when Greece won in 2005. She called me right after and all I could hear was utter chaos in the city in the background. The jubilation was just as great when Greece won the Euro football (soccer) final in 2004. And I’m sure you all know how crazy they are about soccer here, so the fact that they go just as nuts for Eurovision tells you something.

My two twit housemates were gone for the weekend so the other flatmate and I settled in to watch our first ever Eurovision. It’s some crazy stuff, people. Some of the entries are good, others decent, and still others are just downright terrible.

My flatmate was rooting for Iceland. I, showing familial piety, was pulling for Greece. Having said that, it wasn’t a hardship since this year’s entry was by Sakis Rouvas.



Ladies, you’re welcome.

I kept yelling for him to take off his shirt and my flatmate promised to chug her glass of wine if he did. He didn’t but he did end up ripping it a bit, so she downed half the glass as a concession. A real hardship for her, I’m sure.

Our second favorite countries were one and the same—Ukraine. The song was sung by some old Ukranian Madonna wannabe, but she had the best back-up dancers. Buff men wearing tiny loincloths and gigantic silver centurion helmets. Excellent stuff.

Sadly, Norway took the top prize with their rather annoying Fairytale song. My sister attributes Greece’s defeat to the fact that Sakis didn’t get naked. I wholeheartedly agree.

All right, folks, that’s it from me. Have a great week. Catch up with you later.

31 comments:

Theresa said...

Oooh, very nice! Smile that it, what a great smile. Thanks!

And well done on the race! I would have been tempted to run right home once it started to rain.

Lily on the Road said...

Good race, "you dun good" and had fun,

Wow, thanks for letting me wake up to a half naked Greek God, eyyyy hawwww,

Calyx Meredith said...

Yummy! What a fine way to start the day. I am not a fan of shows like that (or tv shows of any type really) but I would have watched him.

Great job on your 10K - killer instincts or not. :D

The Laminator said...

Nice...you ran a race and than had to watch something that's...ummm...racier?

Good effort on the roads...too bad your country didn't win.

joyRuN said...

Great job on the PR!!

I don't have killer instincts either. Just envy ;)

Smiling Sakis - damn cute!

Xenia said...

Joy--Sweetie, get some sleep. It wasn't a PR for me. But your enthusiasm is much appreciated all the same. :)

Jess said...

Running in a downpour for half the race certainly makes getting a PR challenging, so I too would just be happy with the finish. Nice job!

MCM Mama said...

Good job on the race. Running for the finisher's bling is a worthy goal.

And, OMG, I so needed that eye candy this morning. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. ;o)

Merry said...

Oh my... fanning myself ... you do have the nicest scenery on your blog...

I'm with the stern old lady. So long as you did good, it was a good race :)

Roisin said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you...that was just lovely.

Roisin said...

...oh, and congrats on even running in crappy weather.

Sorry...the boy distracted me.

Spike said...

what is a kilo? is that like a kilometer, did you gain distance to your race? man, Europe just screws me up!

great race considering the crap weather. also, I don't recall Eurovision when I lived in Germany, why did they invent the cool stuff after I left?

tfh said...

I confess that I MIGHT have a few Eurovision past winners on my iPod rotation. It's the perfect combination of derivative pop and sappy English lyrics. But why couldn't Sakis have worn a loincloth, damnit?

I like your 10k attitude and think you did a wonderful job settling for a non-PR, although you were wise not to share this with the stern English lady.

Lauren said...

Man, I need to go to Greece!

I love that it had the prospect of being very motivating, but wasn't. That's how I feel most of the time, but there's nothing wrong with that. Shiny things are pretty.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Man, the only things holding that guy's pants up are his C*ckopoulous and N*ts@ckopoulii.

(I beleive that's how you'd say it in (as Dubya would have it) Grecian.)

Nice job on the non-PR.

It really was a bit ambiguous the way you put it the first time (PR? Or Not a PR?), but then later on, down below, you made it explicit you didn't PR.

I think j'RuN must've been distracted by that Greek guy's breastopoulii.

You skirts are so shallow. He has a brain, too, you know! Probably.

carpeviam said...

And, happy Monday to you, too! Thanks for starting the week off so well. Forget familial piety, I'd be pulling for Greece no matter what. A little more skin, and he'd have won for sure.

BrianFlash said...

Eurovision is one crazy contest. The costumes, the drippy songs, the spectacle.

And they make fun of Americans and our American Idol (which I also purposely ignore)...

joyRuN said...

Yeah - that's it. Distracted by the hotness. It certainly wasn't from no sleep. Maybe no caffeine?

So sorry, X! The "over a minute slower than my PR" should've been a clue to someone who could read ;)

That kinda day...

Kristina said...

I totally need an 'I Like Shiny Things' approach. Thanks for the reminder.

Count of Monte Christo said...

The run sounds very heavy, but great job on pulling through.

Still, the mud and the puddles would actually have done it for me... I will probably never grow up, but running through the mud is FUN!

Glad you enjoyed watching the song contest. About 80% of NL would rather get shot in the knee-caps if they would not need to watch it ;-)

Jamie said...

He is YUMMY! Thanks for that :)

Great job on the race! I like shiny things too :)

Marcy said...

Oooooo la la!! He's very nice. Yum-o!

LMAO we REALLY are one in the same! I'm always like "meh, whatever" Next time will be better (like when I get up on my speed work and stuff. And of course that is just a lie that I tell to myself over and over again HAHA!) GREAT JOB CHICA!

Ms. V. said...

Um. That little slant from the hips? Kills me every time. EVERY. TIME.

Thank you!

raulgonemobile said...

Ah, nice job on the race, anyways.. Don't need to PR every time, at least you're getting out there

Nitmos said...

Shiny Things are nice sometimes. Years from now, you'll forget all about that minute and regale your grandkids with tales of your heroic race against the forces of evil.

Oh, and stop posting those kind of pictures.

Lauren said...

You have to check out gofugyourself.com 's account of Eurovision. It's hilarious:

http://gofugyourself.celebuzz.com/go_fug_yourself/
2009/05/fugovision_fug_contest_the_fin.html

Ted said...

I am with Nitmos unless you have something to post of any sexy woman. I would appreciate it. ;-) In the meantime, great job on the recent race under crappy weather. The most important thing is that you crossed the line regardless of the time.

Ace said...

Grats on a great result. Even though it wasn't a PR, still a good run, finished well, is something to enjoy.

X-Country2 said...

Great race report. I'm a bit of a "shinny thing lover" these days too. Although I'd amend it to "I'm just here for the shirt".

theloosemoose said...

How on earth did you find that picture of my Mr. Moose? ;)

Run For Life said...

I'm sure it was the rain's fault you didn't PR. Yay for shiny objects. :)

Thank you for those pics, yummy!