Friday, 8 May 2009

Rundown

Well, I’m not as cranky as I was on Wednesday, but I’m feeling rather weary today. The combination of a busy work week mixed with a visitor from the states and a business-y like trip yesterday have left me feeling beat down. My brain is not up to much today, so I’m going to get all bullet-y on your asses for today’s post. Here goes:
  • The weather has been pretty crappy all week. So much so that I’ve had to put my ugly quilt back on my bed because it's so cold at night and my housemates and I are too cheap to turn the heat back on.
  • It’s currently raining sideways outside. I hate this country.
  • Somehow I've hurt the two middle knuckles on my left hand. They've been sore for a week now. It's strange, I don't remember punching anyone...
  • I seem to have unintentionally inspired people to take up running. There’s a group of us running the Blenheim 7K this Sunday. I’ve been out running with a couple of friends to help them prepare for it. Also, two other friends have put their names in for the London marathon ballot and, frighteningly, are looking to me to help them train. Holy hell.
  • This makes me feel super guilty because I haven’t run all week. Sunday’s going to suck. :(
  • My lack of running and shortage of funds recently are why I'm not running a local 5K on Saturday. Junk.
  • Looks like I’ll be excavating in Italy in late summer to early fall. Not sure if I’ll have internet access, so there probably won’t be much posting going on then.
  • A friend who will also be at the dig has asked me if I would mind if she ran with me while we’re there. And she’s not a runner. See, again with the inspiration thing. It’s scaring the hell out of me.
  • I need to start strength training now so I’m not super sore come excavation time. Who’s got a training program for me so I can develop Michelle Obama’s guns in three months? Anyone? Bueller?
  • Saw X-Men Origins this week. Huge plot holes, but I still liked the movie. Mostly because Hugh Jackman was naked half the time.
  • It appears I should post more pictures and fewer words as I got a whopping 35 comments on my last post as opposed to the 15 to 20 I usually get. Boy, you people are shallow.
  • Speaking of pictures, here’s one for you. This is a knick-knack I picked up during my Wales trip. It’s a little monk.

However, he’s a monk with a secret.

That's an interesting pooper you've got there, Mr. Monk.

Who knew monks liked to have pencils sharpened in their rears?

Sexual deviants.

Okay, that’s it for me today. Before I go, I want to wish a happy mother's day to all moms, especially my own. I sent your card out on Tuesday, Mom, so if you don't get it by tomorrow then I blame it on the English postal service. :)

Have a great weekend, everyone.

29 comments:

Jamoosh said...

I guess when you take a vow of celibacy it does not include a pencil up your butt. I guess they got to have something...

joyRuN said...

Not first :-(

joyRuN said...

How about a monk with a holey @$$ giveaway? HUH HUH HUH?

Italy... late summer... I feel for you.

Mmmm... naked Hugh Jackman....

Jess said...

I actually did recently come across an article that was titled "How to get the first lady's arms." Hmmmm...perhaps I can backtrack and dig it up for you.

Ha! I made an unintentional pun there with the "dig." Man, I crack myself up.

Marcy said...

Look at you getting all Razzy on us (sorry Razz HA!) The combo of the gray/rainy weather + you know = pretty dayum tired and cranky for me as well. I feel for you chica.

Sweet baby J I'm gonna have to find me some screen shots of the nekkid HJ. So hot.

Heather said...

Unintentional inspiration is stressful. I keep waiting for these girls from my church, who have started running becaue of me, to realize that I'm just a big, slow, fraud. :)

Brooke said...

yes, isn't it interesting how the pics spark comments? Hahaha...the pencil sharpener...I once saw one that was a cat whose tail you turned (while sharpening in the butt) and the shavings made the 'litter' in the litter box it was standing in...

Carolina John said...

Good luck in the 7k. call the no running this week a taper, and you'll be fresh and vibrant on sunday. Stay positive baby!

tfh said...

Maybe you should just take a shovel with you out on your lovely Port Meadow runs and get into excavating shape by seeing what lies beneath those green fields? Bludgeoning the horses could only sculpt your shoulders and upper back further. (Kidding! Please. I do not support randomly bludgeoning horses. Men on bicycles, though...)

Have a fun time at Sunday's 7k and happy mother's day to your mother. This is her second, right?

Lily on the Road said...

Happy Diggin' It mom, Mother's Day!!!

Once the sun comes out you'll feel better (I hope) ; )

Viper said...

Not sure what all strength you need, but I've taken to a very simple routine that I snagged from the Runners' Lounge: after runs shorter than six miles, I do five minutes of push-ups and sit-ups -- as many sets of eight as I can with 15 seconds of rest between. It should get you started and it's not all that daunting. I mean, it's only five minutes, right?

My first inclination upon seeing the bullets was to just leave this comment: Lame.

You got a novel instead. Cheers.

Ace said...

Diggin' It Running Club FTW! Better make up some t-shirts or somethin...

Ace said...

Or commemorative branded welsh monk pencil sharpeners...

Spike said...

inspiring others is the good part, its when they get hurt or start to fail that sucks...they will blame you. You just may end up destroying other people's lives. oh, if you punch someone in a blackout it doesn’t count…for what its worth.

hope your 7K goes well. :)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Somehow I've hurt the two middle knuckles on my left hand. They've been sore for a week now. It's strange, I don't remember punching anyone ...

Yeah, you wouldn't. Because that's how Teh Marcy wants it.

Allow me to expatiate:

When Teh M. makes someone her BotW (as she did you), she also gains a weird Fauxlipinian voodoo control over their minds. You Must Do Her Bidding - but you won't remember it afterwards.

Sore knuckles? No memory of punching anyone? Been missing from the Intertubes for a couple days?

Root around in your apartment. Bet you find an airline ticket stub - London to NY.

Where Teh M. forced you to go so you could ...

PUNCH HER KIDS IN TEH FACE!1!

This gives her plausible deniability when the authorities come. "O, I didn't punch Cam and Keira in teh face! Xenia teh Warrior Archaeologist did!"

Check your knuckles for evidence of of McG. kiddie DNA. Bet you find some.

I think the US has an extradition treaty with the UK, too, so you'd better lam it, sister.

Until Teh Marcy Summons You Again ...

You will be powerless to deny her ...

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

P.S. I recently discovered, through hypnosis, that she mostly makes me be her Sex Slave. But first, she makes me dress up like Wolverine.

It's awful!

(Because I was a BotW too. Had I only known at the time ...)

Irish Cream said...

Hahaha, okay--first of all, Spike's comment is SO true. I avoid being even remotely inspirational just so I won't have to deal with the complaints later on!

At any rate, best of luck with the 7K!

Theresa said...

Up here it's the wind! It's driving me crazy! Even when it's not raining sideways, it's knocking me sideways and my hair always looks like a rat's nest!

Oh, and yeah, you motivational runner you, have me thinking about maybe signing up and training for a 1/2 marathon. Maybe. Perhaps. I totally blame you for these thoughts.

Jamie said...

Maybe that's why some monks take a vow of silence? hmmm...

Congrats to you for unintentionally inspiring others to start running :) I'm sure it will be fun to have others there to run with and keep you motivated!

Calyx Meredith said...

The monk pencil sharpener is odd. (Who is in charge of these things? Can you see the designer making a pitch to the production company, "Yeah and you turn him around and he's got a pencil sharpener for an ass." And the production company's all, "Oh fantastic! Let's make 20,000 of them." WTF?) Way to inspire the masses Xenia. I'd totally join the Italy running group if I could. Have a great weekend.

Nitmos said...

I once saw an inflatable sheep with a hole in its rear. True story. The dirty old man behind the counter kept putting his finger in and giggling. I won't tell you where I was.

carpeviam said...

Wow! Look at you! COACH X!! That's kinda exciting. I love it when people ask for my running advice. You must insist that whenever they ask for advice, they must call you Coach X. This will sufficiently feed your ego.

theloosemoose said...

Who DIDN'T know monks liked to have pencils sharpened in their rears?

Missy said...

Yes, yes, we'll order 20,000 monks, made in China for $.20 and charge $20.00 - stupid tourist will think they're neat.

X-Country2 said...

I love that you have all these runner followers. You're like Jesus!

Count of Monte Christo said...

Sorry to hear about your weariness. Some of the bullets would probably make you feel so much better (personally, I feel greatly honored that one of my colleagues bought a decent pair of shoes and picked up running) on a sunny day.

Hang in there and perhaps it might help if you would punch someone in the face (just find that one person that bugs you the most and DO IT!) ;-)

Have a greatweekend

kelsey said...

Super cool little statue. :D

Mrs. Obama's guns are amazing... I'm jealous. :D

Crabby McSlacker said...

Eww, I'm not sure I ever want to borrow a pencil from anyone again--who knows, it could have been sharpened in a monk's ass.

All the other bullet points were awesome too btw. Bullet point us any time.

Ted said...

Now Xenia... did you ever ever ever sniff the pencil after you use the monk-shape pencil sharpener?