Wednesday, 20 May 2009

Slowly but surely

Tuesday morning was Baby Tempo Run attempt #2—a gentle mile warm-up and cool down with a 1.1 mile loop at sub-10 minute per mile pace sandwiched in between. Last week’s 0.9 mile loop was completed in 8:10 (9:04 pace). This week, I ran the 1.1 mile loop in 10:10 which equates to a 9:15 pace.

I’m happy with the results. I slowed my ass down a notch from last week’s pace and didn’t feel too much like death during or after this time around, but I’m still going too fast for a tempo run. Well, for me anyway. Next week’s tempo distance will be 1.4 miles, so I’ll have to slow down regardless, either by choice or because my body will just give out. I’m really hoping it’s not the latter.

My ability to do math on the fly (or on the run, if we’re getting technical here) has gone straight to hell in a hand basket. Once I’d completed the loop and was trotting along at my normal crawl once again, I’d thought that my tempo pace had been a lot slower than it was. I immediately worried about the following week’s longer tempo distance and thought about scrapping it altogether there and then.

Can you tell I’ve got a big fat fear of failure? It’s amazing, no?

Well, I’m stuck doing it regardless. I’ve already told you all about my tempo run goal and I know if I don’t post about it once a week then at least one of you will nag me. That’s motivation enough really.

Accountability, I has it.

Fair is fair
A couple of you complained about the eye candy on Monday’s post. Whiners. To make amends, I now post photos which the male readership is more likely to enjoy.



This is Helena Paparizou, who won the 2005 Eurovision contest for Greece with her song My Number One.

Gentlemen, you're welcome. Let's just call this broadening your cultural horizons. (That's what she said.)

Crap shoot
Viper’s post yesterday reminded me of another funny Craigslist personal ad that was forwarded around a while ago. Click on the image to enlarge.


Touché indeed.

Happy hump day, everyone.

31 comments:

Count of Monte Christo said...

There is absolutely no doubt that you will do fine. Naturally, we will be watching out for the update, so indeed, we will know if you skipped the session :-D

Have a great day!

Miz said...

Im so so so so sore from 1 run.

You are, officially, my heroine.

Marcy said...

OMFG!!! I'm pretty sure I'll know what the outcome will be if I do the "gambling" game. Seriously how could you NOT know?!? Don't people code these things mentally?! Anything in the code yellow and red is immediate BR time. Especially on a date. Nas-tay asses.

I thought that chica was Ivanka Trump in that first pic LOL

Marcy said...

PS And speaking of craps, you're on my crap list today ;-) Come on, 100,000+ on BB already?!? Damn you! LOL My BB mo-jo has gone down the tubes the past couple days. *Sigh*

Lily on the Road said...

okay Mini Marcy, that WAS funny!

Slower is better! Coach speaking...LOL

Xenia said...

Marcy--Suck it up. I've been losing (and badly) for at least a month. Let me have my one shining moment if only for a day before I get slaughtered by the others with scores of over 200,000. I'm not joking either. How do they do that?!

The Laminator said...

Great speed workout! Good on you to work on tempo running. Great job!

raulgonemobile said...

Way to push yourself... that's cool.

I love reading the craigslist 'best of' entries. Some really really funny ones in there.

Jess said...

I can't do math at all which is why I can't do tempo runs at all. Nor can I do intervals. Being math-impaired really hurts the running.

Viper said...

Touche. You win the Craigslist duel.

Thanks for the link.

tfh said...

Finding the right pace for my tempo runs is an ongoing quest-- looks like you're moving in the right direction! Time to bring a calculator on your runs, though?

Thank you for subtly associating a sexy woman with pants shitting. Or was that just me?

Carolina John said...

great candy! me likes.

Lauren said...

I remember that craigslist post. Ah, good times. I've been on some bad dates before, but never considered that out. Maybe next time.

Nitmos said...

Thank you. Excuse me while I light this cigarette...

Roisin said...

I nearly shat myself reading that. Touché to you ;)

Jamie said...

Great job on the tempo run! I can't do math on the run either. Sometimes I try though to make the miles pass faster.

Viper said...

I would say this is worse: http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/05/74376/

Cheers. Or not.

X-Country2 said...

www.gofugyourself.com had all the fashion highlights from Eurovision. I thought of you. :o)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I've had that terminator stout out in Port's Own Land.

It was good. But nothing to crap yourself over.

Listen to Teh Marcy! "Oooo, I'm all in control of my colon!" What a show-off!

Well excuse the rest of us for being human!

No, wait - does crapping yourself make you more, or less, human?

Spike said...

well done tempo runner, soon you will be doing 5 mile tempo runs!!! oh, do you ever wish they had follow-ups for such wonderful Craigslist ads?

Marlene said...

Nice work on the tempo run! The few times I have attempted one, I go out to fast and die half way through. Pacing is tough!

That ad is hysterical!

Love your blog... we seem to read some of the same "stuff" so I just thought I'd wander over. :)

Ms. V. said...

Hey! I thought those pics were you!!! LOL

Great craiglist add!!

joyRuN said...

I need to back it up on my tempo runs. I've been a big fat mofo'ing FAIL at my optimistic & aggressive plan.

And I'm so glad I've downloaded BB onto my phone. MUCH less pressure when the high score leaderboard's only name is "JOY" ;)

Theresa said...

Well done on the reaching your tempo run goals!

And I'm just going to give in and look like an ignorant, non-tech fool and ask: What in the world is BB?

theloosemoose said...

Holy miscue, Batman. Before I embiggened the Craigslist ad, I read it as: "To the woman who crapped in my EAR"

MCM Mama said...

Great job on the run! And LOL at the ad.

The Running Knitter said...

That ad is the best! LOL!

Missy said...

OMG my eyes are burning take me back to Monday...ah, there he is!

I can't do math when I'm all hypoxic either. For the fast stuff, I need someone yelling in my ear. I turn into a total 'tard.

Ted said...

It is no question that after you posted the eye popping pictures of those babes. Your readership has shot up to the highest level in years. Thanks for the pixs.

Kristina said...

I am so lame that before I could allow myself to laugh at that Craigslist ad, I first thought, "No. 'To the woman WHO crapped in my car.'"

Run For Life said...

Math and running just don't mix.