Monday, 15 June 2009

Only in the leap from the lion's head...

You’ve been on tenterhooks all weekend. You’re just dying to know if I ran baby tempo run #5, aren’t you?

Well, wait no longer.

Yes, I ran it, but not on Friday night. Laziness won on Friday, but determination prevailed on Saturday. The tempo distance was 2 miles (actually 2.05 miles) and the goal was to run it in under 20 minutes. The result?

19:13 for an average pace of 9:37 (or 9:22 if we add in that extra 0.05 miles).

Sweet.

Instead of continuing with the teeny-tiny increments in distance, I’m thinking I should try a full 5K distance this week for my tempo run. My 5K PR stands at 30:32, but that event wasn’t chip-timed and my watch recorded a finishing time of 30:16. I’d like to see if I can match this time or even better it.

Place your bets now, folks. I smell a big fat FAIL in the air already.

On Sunday morning, determination once again won out as I got in an eight miler which brought my total weekly mileage to 20.3 miles. It’s the first time this year I’ve had a 20-mile week. Halle-freaking-lujah! About damn time.

The plan for this week is to get in another 20 miles with the tempo run happening hopefully on Tuesday, but possibly Wednesday. I’ll let you know how it goes in the next post. Till then feel free to leave your two-cents and any smartass remarks in the comments. I need to be entertained, after all.

Have a great week, everyone.

20 comments:

RazZDoodle said...

Holy crap, am I first?

Hey, keep up the positive energy. That sort of stuff is contagious. So, if I FAIL this week, I'm pointing eastward.

Nice job on the tempo run, though!

joyRuN said...

SWEET indeed on baby tempo #5!

I need a 20-mile week soon. I just have to find someone who'll take pity on me and take these damn kids already! Blasted summer vacation.

Or I could just slip on my big girl panties & get up early to get my run in too.

The Laminator said...

Awesome stuff, Xenia! Way to rock that baby tempo. I see you'll graduate to toddler tempo this week. I'm thinking you'll rock that too...

after all, you are an archeologist, aren't you?

okay, i'm sad with the bad jokes...

congrats on 20 miles and continuuing on in your summer of speed!

Marcy said...

HAHAHHAAA We REALLY are one and the same! I was also supposed to roll out on Friday but was like "eeehhh I have sheet to do" In fact I think I clocked in with the same amount of mileage too. (I still have yet to download my data :-X)

MCM Mama said...

Great job on the baby tempo! You'll do great on the 5K tempo.

WTG on the 20 mile week! I seem to be stuck at that and unable to get more than 20 in...

Merry said...

*** 20 mile week ***
Woo hoo! applause

Jess said...

Nice job on both the baby tempo run and the long run!

Theresa said...

No fail - you can do it! Kick that 5k ass.

X-Country2 said...

Another baby tempo run down! I vote you do a 5k some time soon. I bet you're sub-30 for sure.

Run For Life said...

Woohooo on the baby tempo time AND the 20 mile week. :)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Woo-hoo, sister! You'll be giving Dr.Nic a run for his money soon, Speedy Gonzalopoulis!

When you do catch up to him?

PUNCH HIM IN TEH FACE ONCE FOR ME!1!

(But enough of these Baby Tempo Runs. Next time, make sure your Adult Tempo Runs wearsa condom.)

Jamie said...

way to get another baby tempo run done this weekend! I'm sure you are a sub 30 on the 5K now! Great job on hitting 20 for the week!

tfh said...

Nice week. I think at this distance you can no longer call it a "baby" tempo run, though-- anything over 2 miles is tough.

carpeviam said...

If you're doing 2 miles under 20 minutes, you can nail a sub-30 minute 5k. Just run faster. ;)

Irish Cream said...

You are SO ready to graduate to a 5K tempo run! You can do it! :) Oh, and great job with the 20-mile week too--you're rockin' it, girl!

Carolina John said...

my money's on breaking 30 mins. i say go for it.

theloosemoose said...

Nice job!!!

Have you noticed how very casually you're mentioning those 8 milers? With that kind of mind set you'll be ready for another marathon (or an ultra!!) before you know it.

Careful, you!

Kristina said...

I'll bet on sub-30. You can't underestimate the adrenaline provided by a chip on your shoe. Go get 'em, Xtina.

raulgonemobile said...

I'm with everyone.. I think you've got a sub-30 in ya. And, also in the spirit of tagging along and not thinking up new content on my own, I second tfh in saying that these are becoming un-baby-like.

Viper said...

A sub-30 5-K? I hope you have chosen wisely.

However, if you chose ... poorly ... a post in which your face melts off would be kind of cool.