Wednesday, 5 August 2009

Greek-style

For the past two Mondays I’ve had a different spin instructor at the gym. He’s fine and the change of pace is rather nice, so I’m definitely not complaining.

Two thirds of the way through the class, he played a song that was very familiar to me, but not in a spin class setting.

It was Zorba the Greek.

I could not stop laughing to myself the entire time. To my surprise, it made for a great sprint track.

This Monday while spinning to this song, I was reminded that a good chunk of my family is now gathering together in Greece for the marriage of one of my cousins. I managed to get out of going because of my current workload and impending fieldwork travel. I’m not overly fond of weddings (blasphemy for a girl, I know) so I’m not bothered by not being there. However, I am bummed that I’m missing out on seeing some of my favorite family members. On occasion I have a bout of homesickness for my faraway loved ones, but I just remind myself that if I keep my nose to the grindstone, I’ll see them again soon enough. Sucky consolation, but it’s all I’ve got.

Depressing, huh? Well, how about this anecdote from my childhood to help lighten the mood.

I was a tomboy growing up. My sister Z was a girly girl. To drive her crazy (my job as younger sibling) I farted in her presence whenever possible. She would loudly wail to my mother that I was disgusting and why couldn’t I do that in the bathroom.

Eventually I agreed with her sentiment. I would fart only in the bathroom from then on. Of course she didn’t bargain on the fact that I would wait until she was in the bathroom before opening the door a smidge, sticking my bum through the opening and letting one rip.

Bathroom dutch ovens. I’m just all kinds of classy, no?

The countdown continues...
Three weeks till I depart for fat camp fieldwork. Prepare yourselves for the bloggy silence and long weeks of pining for my return. Or, more likely, you’ll forget me within two days and I’ll return and no one will bother reading my blog anymore.

Ingrates.

Well, I guess I’ll still wish you a happy hump day anyway. But grudgingly.

Later gators.

17 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

Where are you off to? Jerusalem? Working on the road that has now turned into an archaeological dig?

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Enjoy your having beat me to comment on L. M'se's site, Young anti-poop emitting warrior archaeologist, because it'll be the last time because DSL B*TCHES!1!

FINALLY.

Yeah, that's right, check your sitemeter or Google ANALytics and you'll see right there that where it used to say "Creepy Old Guy on Dial-up" it says "Creepy Old Guy on DSL So Maybe You Wanna Adjust That YEEECCH 'Tude A Bit Because He's Probably Loaded Because He's ON DSL, B*TCHES!1! So Now He's a CATCH!1!!"

Let me practice for what's gonna happen 3 weeks from now:

"Xenia? ... Xenia who?"

DSL, B*TCHES!1!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

SECOND!1! (And THIRD, B*TCHES!1!)

Marcy said...

HAHAHAHAHA you're so wrong ;-). Your poor sister. Did you do it when the BR was all warm and humid after a shower? *barf*

joyRuN said...

You're reminding me of when my cousins would "catch" a fart in their cupped hand then release the stank in my face. BLECH!!!

Nitmos said...

Zorba the Greek was a terrific book. I didn't know it came with a soundtrack.

I believe your bathroom stank job should now be called a Greek Oven.

Carolina John said...

Farting is always funny. anytime, anywhere.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Oh, what a devious little brat you were! Too funny.

And enjoy your fieldwork! We'll be waiting for you when you get back.

Jamie said...

Farting is funny, unless you are the one stuck in the dutch oven bathroom. Even then, still kind of funny!

You seriously better come back. Don't just up and leave to go play in the dirt :) never to return and entertain us with more fart stories!

X-Country2 said...

My little sister NEVER did stuff like this. Although, I was the tomboy and she was the cheerleading girly girl. Bummer I wasn't a very clever kid like you.

carpeviam said...

I'm not a huge fan of weddings either. What is that all about?!

Count of Monte Christo said...

I am sure you will forget us before we have noticed the blogsilence. With you out there pulling an indy jones, just realize how boring most of our lives will be, being chained to a computer displaying nothing but green letters on a black screen.

Your description of your bathroom-activities are hilarious. Reminds me of my tactics,

Ted said...

Hmmm.. I am glad you didn't light up anything in the bathroom. It could be catastrophe.

MCM Mama said...

I so see my boys pulling that in the future. oy

We'll be waiting when you come back. We're all pathetic that way.

Jess said...

My brother used to walk by while I was laying on the couch, and he would sit on my head and fart. He also used to trick me into coming into the bathroom to witness his turd mastery.

And my husband wonders why I'm so weird...

Roisin said...

Three weeks and you'll be off the grid? Alas.

...and now I have the Zorba song in my head. Thanks.

theloosemoose said...

Mr. Moose used to fart in bed, then trap my head underneath the blankets. Decidedly uncool.

And I kinda hate weddings, too, but if it was in Greece, I guess I'd make an exception!

We'll miss you when you're gone.
:(