Friday, 7 August 2009

Hating, Wishing, Loving

Hating...
  • My current lack of energy, focus and motivation.
  • My lack of mileage this week.
  • The locals, tourists and summer students who clog up the streets and sidewalks and are as discourteous as it is possible to be.
  • English summer which consists of rain, rain and more rain.
  • My drug dealing neighbor who leaves her cats out in the pouring rain so that I and everyone else in the area have to listen to the poor creatures yowl incessantly.
Wishing...
  • This f*cking chapter would be done already.
  • I had become a vet instead of an archaeologist. I’d have my degree and be employed by now. However, my soul would already be crushed by how many animals I’d have had to put down, but frankly I’d take a crushed soul and a paycheck over dissertation writing misery at this point.
  • I was on Santorini. (Z, I envy you.)
  • I could run in Port Meadow, but am afraid I’d get stuck permanently on the muddy trails.
  • I would not let the weather affect my mood so much.
Loving that I will soon be...
  • Bitching about how hot it is.
  • Working out of doors every day.
  • Digging up some really cool old shit. (Not literally. Well, maybe if I happen to dig up a sewer system or lavatory.)
  • Swimming in the Tyrrhenian Sea for the first time.
  • Reminded of why I love what I do.
One of these days, I’ll actually try to write a Hate-Wish-Love post that’s funny. Sorry, I just don’t have it in me right now.

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend. I’ll catch you again next week.

Later gators.

20 comments:

Count of Monte Christo said...

You sound like you need a long vacation. Spending some time on a sunny island, doing nothing work-related for a while should do you some good.

Still, I can imagine that the post would make you feel somewhat better, and the prospect of digging up old stuff will do a lot of good.

Hope you have a great weekend - NL weather is supposed to change over the weekend, so I can imagine that UK weather will too (hopefully for the better)

FLATOUT JIM said...

So if you were a vet, you would probably have to DEAL with the cats that your neighbour leaves out in the rain.

Archeology is cool. My 8 year old wants to be an Archeologist.

Jamoosh said...

Just think, if you were a vet student you could practice on some cats...

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Buy yourself a new fedora, Indy. You'll feel better then.

Do you live in MacArthur Park? Because didn't Richard Harris* sing about your dilemma:

"Someone left a cat out in the Rain
"I don't think that i can take it
"Cos it took so long to bake it
"And I'll never have that recipe again
"Ooooooooohhh, Noooooooooooooo!1!"

I feel his pain. Because there's nothing worse than the waste of a fresh-baked cat.

*You, being a zygote, probably remember the Donna Summer version. Pffftt!

Theresa said...

Wow, there are places in the world that are actually hot? It's so easy to forget living over here.

And if you do ever decide that you need a few more tourists, we currently have an influx up here that I would be happy to send.

joyRuN said...

Digging up some really cool old shit

I have to dig out some really foul new shit - not so fun.

I hear you about the tourists. They're clogging up my gym AND being obnoxious about it.

Ali said...

great lists ... I am always bitching that it's either too hot or too cold, there are 4 days a year when it is just right.

I wish I was in Santorini as well.

Jess said...

Wait, studying to be an archeologist doesn't mean a life like Indiana Jones? Hmmmm...

Lily on the Road said...

Call the Humane Society, those poor cats...do it before you go. Maybe the cops too.

You could come to Ottawa and enjoy the rain here, that's all we've had all summer.

Take me to Santorini ~ puleeezzzzz,

Carolina John said...

chapters always come to an end, Xenia. hang in there and you will finish the dissertation soon enough.

Merry said...

Sheesh, woman, if you're writing a "f*ckin' chapter" then you're going to get a lot of people wanting to read this when it's finished.
Is it too much too hope for diagrams too? :)

Roisin said...

It's raining? In England?

Mike G said...

108 degrees yesterday where I am - don't wish for too much of a good thing, you might get it. Have fun in the Tyrrhenian Sea - so that must be an ancient Roman site you'll be digging up then?

The Sean said...

life is largely lived on the plateaus. bookends are the highs and lows. why this is? no one knows, but life IS lived on these vast plateaus.

Mike said...

Xenia's secret project.

X-Country2 said...

I hope your digging adventure goes awesome. It sounds so much better than my sucky cube job.

nwgdc said...

SERIOUSLY, Xenia, I only like the funny stuff. WTF is up with this post?

Just kidding...the plate sounds full but exciting at the same time! And don't worry, it never always gets better :)

Marcy said...

OMG Dr Nic!! You can't rag on Xenia! Only G :P

Yeah but archeologist sounds waaaayyy cooler than being a vet any day ;-)

The Laminator said...

Hang in there, X! Your job is way cooler than you make it sound to be...at least to me! Have a great weekend.

Cowboy Hazel said...

I think your list was funny. It made me smile at least, especially at the part about hating tourists. I hate them so, so much. Next time they get to you, just think to yourself, "At least I don't live in NYC where there are even more of them swarming around."