Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Ouch

Man, my weekend sucked.

I didn’t run on Friday but got out for a four miler on Saturday. I had big plans for a long run on Sunday, but that was before I maimed myself.

Sunday I woke up early to log some hours in at the department. Apparently I was not yet fully awake whilst dressing because I accidentally slammed my foot into the side of the bed. The littlest toe took the full force of the impact, so I hopped around and did some lamaze-type breathing until the initial wave of pain subsided.

I thought it would be all right until I noticed the blood. Not truckloads but enough for me to break out the generic neosporin and bandaid and play doctor. Wearing sneakers to work wasn’t the best idea as my toe decided to swell. I switched over to flip flops later which helped, but I knew there was no way I was going to be able to run, long or short, with my damaged toe as I was already hobbling when walking.

I started to worry that maybe I had actually broken it, but yesterday the swelling went down significantly. The cut is healing nicely though the skin around it is still an unhappy purple color. I should be good to go for a run later today though.

Oh, and if you’re curious, MCM Mama won last week’s guessing game. I only logged in ten miles for the week. Well short of my twenty mile goal, but ten is definitely better than the previous week's total of seven. Improvement, no? Congrats, MCM, for correctly estimating my level of slackassery. I stand in awe.

Hope you all have a great week.

Later gators.

UPDATE: Went for run. All is well with toe. Cue confetti and marching band. That is all.

17 comments:

RazZDoodle said...

sounds like an excuse. I think this whole game was rigged. ;)

theloosemoose said...

Toe pain sucks. As does the Lamaze breathing technique. I much preferred hard drugs while birthing my moose calves. (Their antlers were especially tough...OUCH!!)

joyRuN said...

Echo theloosemoose. The Lamaze breathing crap never did anything for me.

Congrats to MCM Mama, I think :)

Carolina John said...

yep, toes can suck. hope you feel better soon!

Jess said...

I stubbed a toe yesterday, and I swear, it hurt more than childbirth.

Heather said...

Glad the toe feels better!

Lauren said...

Stubbed toe? That sounds made up to me. You don't have to go inventing injuries to justify your slackassery.

Viper said...

Just cut the little digit off. You don't need it.

Jamie said...

that is the worst! I ran into the edge of the bed frame and nailed my thigh. I have a sweet bruise/lump and shooting pain every so often...

X-Country2 said...

Way to be hard core! You show that little toe who's boss.

Roisin said...

Little toes look jacked-up enough as it is, and then you stub them and suddenly they look like some sort of tumor. Ick. Well, way to go for a run anyway! I'd probably have cried.

MCM Mama said...

Glad the toe is feeling better.

Sorry I was right about the low number of miles. I'm struggling to run at all this week...

The Laminator said...

Hmmm...looks like you have some doctoring talents...want to switch jobs for a day? Glad your toesies behaved themselves today!

BrianFlash said...

Dang it! Three more miles - that's all you had to do to get me some needed blog exposure.

Slacker...

Count of Monte Christo said...

D.mn, that even sounds painful!
Life does suck with injuries like that.

Still, the amount of miles you wanted to do could not have foreseen this soldier-style injury, so you still did great

Marcy said...

OMG girlfriend don't even sweat it. I am soooo with you on the slackerness with running *sigh* Whatcha gonna do? I don't even have a bum toe excuse LOL

Also on my way home (from NY) I totally thought of you while driving through NH. If you are ever home and are doing a race in your hood let me know! You can't be THAT far from me, right? right? (I have no idea LOL)

Irish Cream said...

OUCH. That is the type of injury I am CONSTANTLY suffering from (I'm a bit of a klutz), so I totally feel your pain. I'm glad to hear it's feeling a bit better!!