Friday, 14 August 2009

Preparing for launch

Lately my life has been consumed with work, preparing for my trip and playing the occasional competitive round of Sporcle with an office mate. To date, I am the reigning champion in naming all 195 countries in the world even when handicapping my opponent three minutes.

I’m such a nerd.

Anyhoo, recently I wrote out a list of everything I need to pack for my trip. Since I’ll be digging, researching, swimming and running while I’m there, I have a lot of clothes and accessories to cram into one checked bag which can’t weigh more than 20 kg (or 44 pounds for my fellow Americans). This includes a pair of steel-toe work boots and my trowel.

F*ck a duck. Call Dr. Who, I need to borrow his Tardis.

I’ve decided to call this packing endeavor Operation Holy Mother of God How Is This Going to Work. Or Preparation H for short as I’m too juvenile not to steal cheap jokes from the Austin Powers movies. Wish me luck. I’m gonna need it.

Because of the slowly increasing chaos in my life as of late, I haven’t run since Tuesday night. However, rain or shine, I’ll be getting out tonight and again this weekend. I might not reach 20 miles for the week like I wanted, but I’ll definitely be in the teens. At least there’s that.

All right, folks, that’s it for me. Have a great weekend and good luck to anyone racing.

Later gators.

25 comments:

Mel said...

Happy thoughts with the packing and the trip. LOL love the Dr. Who reference. Best of luck with Preparation H.

Keith said...

Women make things so hard for themselves. In order, for your activities listed. Boots, trowel, kneepads, hat, pencil, paper, several bikinis, running shoes, maybe socks, if you run in socks. Sunscreen. Maybe bug repellent depending on where you are going.

Now for all the other activities implicit in the first activities, but which you fail to mention. See if you can determine the activities from the items. Shampoo, soap, passport, money, credit card. If you want to dress up a bit, one pair jeans, and a change of T shirt. Oh, and a concession to girliness, lip moisturizer.

There, that was easy. Next!

Nitmos said...

Do you really need the work boots and trowel? Surely someone will come with an extra.

Lily on the Road said...

in my past life as a Flight Attendant I learned to "ship things" when I was relocating, so why can't you pack up your work stuff and ship it all to the locale? That would leave you room for the necessities.

Just a thought.

Lauren said...

I would wear the steel toed boots on the plane. Good luck!

GeorgiaSnail said...

On the hole preperation H feels good. What?!?

X-Country2 said...

Packing hell! I've been there. Thankfully I have zero problem wearing dirty clothes. Good luck!

MCM Mama said...

UGH, I hate packing. I always take way too much.

Good luck!

MCM Mama said...

UGH, I hate packing. I always take way too much.

Good luck!

MCM Mama said...

UGH, I hate packing. I always take way too much.

Good luck!

MCM Mama said...

UGH, I hate packing. I always take way too much.

Good luck!

Laura said...

Our system is down for the third day this week, so I can't do any actual work, but I have to sit here in case it comes back up. Sporcle is amazing! Thanks for pointing it out to me - I had never heard of it before.

Good luck packing!

BrianFlash said...

Wear the steel toes on the plane. Also, all the other heaviest and/or bulkiest clothes.

You may look like an overstuffed tick, but those bastardly airlines won't be able to charge you for extra baggage on your person!

Jamie said...

Packing is the worst! Good luck with making it work :)

Carolina John said...

good luck with that packing. gotta be tough. have a great weekend!

Heather said...

Good luck with the packing!

theloosemoose said...

I'm with X-Country2 - pack fewer clothes and just plan on being a dirter. I'm sure you'll be getting grubby everyday anyway, so just learn to embrace your inner scumbag. (I kinda live like that each and every weekend, anyhow. If cleanliness is next to godliness then I'm headed to a fiery damnation. Whaatever.)

And are you SURE there are 195 countries in the world? I'm only counting two - America and that weird, cold place where teh Keith lives.

joyRuN said...

Well, on a good note - that hip pain will be overshadowed by back pain from lugging all that crap around.

I think MCM Mama hates packing - sounds like she takes way too much... ;)

Count of Monte Christo said...

Packing is the worst and I can see why you would like a Tardis.

In the spirit of Austin Powers, the - interestingly shaped - spaceships of Dr. Evil are sure to house a portal to get you to the time you will be researching.

Merry said...

I agree with joyRuN. I hate packing too, but not as much as MCM Mama does.

Can't you hire some Sherpas to carry all this stuff for you?

The Laminator said...

Packing is always hard, especially now when they charge for checked bags. It could turn into a marathon session. Best of luck and safe travels.

Viv said...

I like Laurel's tip. Good luck with the packing. Hope the tootsies is doing better.

Jess said...

Good luck! And listen to the others' packing advice; I always over-pack.

raulgonemobile said...

I've got nothing, except say I love the Doctor Who refs..

Good luck with the trip and all

Marci said...

Hope you are enjoying your trip, see you when you get back!