Thursday, 22 October 2009

About time

Upon my return to England I walked right into Deadline Central and have been bogged down with more stuff than I was prepared for so the first two things to go were exercise and blogging. It’s been a craptacular almost two weeks, let me tell you.

But finally on Wednesday, sick of everything but most especially my expanding waistline and perpetual lack of energy, I left the office at a reasonable hour and went for a three mile run. It’s been a month since my last run. Let me repeat that: ONE MONTH. I couldn’t believe it either until I looked at my running log. Holy moley.

The run was fan-freaking-tastic. Until after when I looked at the numbers. I took it easy during the run but pushed myself a little bit here and there to stretch out my muscles. I thought I was running 10:45 to 11 minute miles.

Um, no. Make that 11:43 per mile.

Fuck a duck.

Yeah, I should have anticipated this. You can’t walk away from running for a month and then come back as if nothing has happened. Dues must be paid, retribution exacted.

Today my quads are sore but, oddly enough, in an almost pleasant way. I’m hitting the gym this evening for Body Combat class and then on Friday I plan on getting in another three miler.

My plan right now is to take things easy and slowly get back into a decent fitness routine. Currently there are no races on my schedule for the rest of the year, though I’m eyeing a 10K in late November. Need to suss out logistics first though.

As for marathon training....well, I don’t know. Like Kristina and everybody else in my real life who submitted a ballot, I didn’t make the cut for the London Marathon. (Damn you, Branson!) There’s still Rome, but I also have a dissertation to finish in a year, so marathon training may be put on the back burner until that’s mostly completed. We’ll see. I’m still debating.

Okay, so that’s what’s up with me. If there are long periods of blog silence here at Diggin’ It, it’s because my dissertation is keeping me busy. But I promise always to re-surface to update, support, chide and heckle you all. I do so enjoy it afterall.

All right, folks, that’s it from me. I’ll wish you all an early happy weekend now. See you next week. (Hopefully!)

Later gators.

16 comments:

joyRuN said...

FIRST!

Morgan said...

Welcome back!!!!

Don't worry your legs will remember how to function properly soon enough... patience my dear!

joyRuN said...

Sweet.

Me being first I mean ;)

Screw the dissertation - go for Rome, I say! You have a whole year yet for that dissertation (says someone who has NO idea what's entailed in such an endeavor.)

RazZDoodle said...

You used the word "fuck". Hey, so did I! Cool!

Viper said...

We've all grown used to you underperforming. A month between runs isn't all that surprising and neither will be long delays between posts. Cheers!

Lily on the Road said...

Let's coordinate our monthly (not THAT monthly) trots, and not go as far...I know we can do it....LOL

Heather said...

Great job getting out there for a run. Hope you can get some races on the calendar to keep you motivated!

MCM Mama said...

Glad you got a chance to run! Nice to hear from you again.

Jess said...

It always sucks to return to running after a long hiatus and find that you can't pick up where you left off, but it will come back fairly quickly!

Spike said...

if you break up with running, even for one month, running will make you hurt a little...and lets be honest, you like the pain a bit.

BrianFlash said...

Running rules. Drop all other activities and just starting training for Rome.

Or, run for a chartity in London. Maybe for National Erectile Disfunction Awareness.

Jamie said...

seriously it's about damn time ;) nice job after a month long hiatus. good luck getting back into it consistently.

X-Country2 said...

DOn't you hate when life gets in the way of the fun stuff. Way to get back into teh running.

Carolina John said...

i always like the muscle memory. yea you have to pay some dues to get speed and endurance back, but that's part of the challenge that makes running fun.

Kristina said...

Dissertation Shmissertation, that's what I say. Go running. Of course, that may be why I'm not in academia anymore.

Merry said...

Another vote for the STD* category. You need to run to keep yourself fit and healthy and get the blood flowing to your brain... and to make me feel guilty about not running.



*Well yes, that could stand for other things besides Screw the Dissertation.